Pregnant Mom Traveling with a 4yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Costa Rica, anywhere between the end of March and the beginning of May 2006. I will be roughly 4 or 5 months pregnant, & will be bringing my 4 year old daughter (my husband & father will also be coming). We are looking at staying in Manuel Antonio (maybe Hotel Costa Verde). My question: Is there enough in the area to occupy us (& especially my daughter) for 9 days? I am a little weary of driving around Costa Rica, so I really want to stay in a place that has it all, or at least nearby. Or if I was to split the trip between 2 locations, what would be a great/ideal 2nd destination? I really want to relax at or near the beach, but still have the trees in my own backyard. What about the swimming & snorkeling in Manual Antonio? Kid friendly or no? Any recommendations on traveling with a 4 year old in Costa Rica?

Thanks in advance!

Reona
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 04:58 AM

You'll need to keep a close eye on your daughter at most of the beaches -- there are really strong currents. I can't imagine being at any of the beaches for 9 whole days, but that's me and I'm not pregnant. Most of the hotels in MA are not right out on the beach -- not sure about the one you picked -- and going to the beach or park can involve driving. Playa Panama was the calmest beach I was at. It's over on the Guanacaste side and it was like a big bathtub. I stayed at Casa Conde del Mar, but I'd go insane to be there for 9 days. There's not much around.

Places where you can walk to the beach and have jungle in your backyard tend to be down south in the Osa and Golfito. I love Nicuesa Lodge. You fly there from SJ, then take a boat, so not much driving.

Sandy
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Sandy hit it right on the head. MA has very limited beaches, except if you go into the park and in order to do that you would have to drive to it. Guanacaste beaches is what I would recommend. Playa Hermosa is great for little ones.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 03:06 PM

We were in CR in November with our 8-year-old and almost 4-year-old. We stayed at Costa Verde in Manuel Antonio. We had a car to drive to the park, and walked to Playa Manuel Antonio both days so the kids could swim. We also played at the public beach outside the park one afternoon, just splashing in the shallow water and watching the monkeys.

The other half of our trip we spent in the Arenal area. My kids both liked the Hanging Bridges, and the Cano Negro wildlife tour. My 4-year-old loved the heated pools at Los Lagos. In reality, she would have been satisfied with Motel 6 as long as there was a pool. They even got used to watching Spanish cartoons.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:36 PM

I agree that 9 days would be far too long for Manuel Antonio. With 9 days, I think I'd try 3 locations. I realize you don't want to drive around much, but it is really very doable. We traveled all over the place with our daughter when she was in the first trimester (and not feeling so great).

You might consider a combination of Arenal/Manuel Antonio with 4 or so nights each. Just one midway transfer of about 6 hours. Both areas are about 3 hours from the airport, so a shorter drive at the beginning and end of your trip. This would allow plenty of relax time (maybe too much) in each area.

You may think 3 locations is a bit much, and for your circumstances, it might be. But if you decide to go that way, I'd take the above suggestions and choose Manuel Antonio/Playa Hermosa or Flamingo/Arenal.

Depending on arrival and departure time, you may need to spend the first and last nights near the airport. If that cuts your nights down to 7, then 2 locations would be perfect!

Try to spend the last night, at least, near the airport. Your daughter would enjoy Zoo Ave in Alajuela. It is a bird zoo with many gorgeous birds, but also a lot of other animals as well. We loved it there, and I haven't heard of anyone who thought it was a waste of time! Good luck and have fun--and congratulations on a new addition to your family!