Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Pregnant and looking for a destination in Mexico or Central America

Dec 28th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

My husband and I have about 10 days to travel in early February (including travel days). I will be about 25-27 weeks pregnant. My OB has given us the okay to travel but has suggested that we choose somewhere that has relatively easy access to Western medical facilities.

We will be coming from Manitoba, Canada and are looking for a destination that will be relatively easy to get to but, at the same time, not overly touristy. Typically we would rent a car and find a neat out of the way B&B but my husband is nervous and would like something a little less off the beaten path. Still, we don't love the idea of an all-inclusive or being packed onto beaches with crowds of people.

I realise that I am asking a lot but any suggestions that you have would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much
Dec 29th, 2014, 10:13 AM

Puerto Vallarta Mexico has excellent medical facilities and an international airport right in town. As far as "not overly touristy" PV is a mix of a regular Mexican working city and tourist amenities and infrastructure. You can get more off-the-beaten path with day trips to the north, sound, and inland. You don't need an AI in Vallarta, you can stay at a regular hotel, or better yet rent a condo. Look here: www.vallarta-getaways.com for rental ideas. Look here: www.vallarta-info.com for maps and general information.
Dec 29th, 2014, 02:41 PM

Suze advise is good. Thee are some great smaller Inns up in the hills.

Not on the beach BUT two of the best are Los Cuatro Vientos PV's Second Oldest Inn ( After the Rosita) has but 12 "Quaint" rooms an Excellent restaurant ( One of John Huston's favorites) & The El Nido Bar on the roof for fabulous views/sunsets. Another just down the street is Ritamour a newer lovely Boutique Inn.
Both are basically adult only or at least 16 YO.
PV is relatively easy to get to unlike my favorite Beach Spot Zihuatanejo which now requires a overnight somewhere when coming from Canada.
Dec 30th, 2014, 05:09 AM

Not to be Debbie Downer but please check your travel insurance before you make plans - did you see the coverage of the Saskatchewan couple whose baby was born prematurely in Hawaii?

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...in_hawaii.html
Dec 30th, 2014, 11:16 AM
TC

Since you are Canadian, you do want to make sure you have medical (health) insurance to cover any needs. It is not your travel insurance that will cover a medical emergency. In the U.S. our private medical insurance will either cover or reimburse expenses incurred outside the country. I'm not sure how Canadian health care works when traveling, but it can't be a new situation. I would simply ask about the proper proceedure.

As for a good location, consider Cozumel. Its a lovely little island with beautiful blue water. There are some great small boutique style hotels. The hospital on the island is first rate and there are several excellent doctors that are English trained.

Look at Hotel B or Playa Azul or Coral Princess on the North end of the island. The food in the small town is amazing. There are tons of great restaurants. The Mega grocery/pharmacy is also filled with recognizable brands and the pharmacist speaks perfect English in case you need anything.

Congratulations on the baby and enjoy your holiday!
Dec 30th, 2014, 12:49 PM

I know very little about pregnancy issues but the Yucatan has everything that you could ask for and more. Medical facilities in Cancun and in Playa del Carmen are top notch. All you need do is find someplace that meets your needs like Akumal, Puerto Morelos (really laid back). Playa del Carmen is amazing but it might be too busy for you. There is absolutely no need to rent a car as the transportation system is very efficient and reliable, either from the airport or in town, big or small. The beaches and water quality in the Mecican Riviera is unmatched and the possibilities of touring and visiting ruins and islands and small villages, cenotes and much more are endless. As far as lodging goes, the choice is astounding...
Jan 3rd, 2015, 12:55 PM

Playa del Carmen, Puerto Vallarta or Grand Cayman. Your twin goals of "not overly touristy" and access to good Western medical facilities are at odds. Assuming your prioritize medicine over off the beaten path, those would be the areas I would focus my search. You don't have to stay at a big AI (although they do have their strong points) and can stay at a smaller hotel or even rent a condo for the week.

Happy Planning