Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Poussada at Buzios (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/poussada-at-buzios-365855/)

gustavo040 Oct 13th, 2003 01:44 PM

Poussada at Buzios

I'm looking for a "poussada" at Buzios to rent a room with ocean view and a good terrace or balcony where I can rest after a day at the beach and have a couple of caipirinhas.Also the poussada should have a nice pool with view .I read in many magazines (T&L, Condé Nast..) that Casas Brancas is the best choice. My alternative ( less expensive) is Poussada La Soberana ( I found it in buziosonline). But I am afraid the the photos may not match reality.Have anyone been there?

Dondiega Oct 13th, 2003 03:30 PM

I know Casas Brancas, I stayed there but the other hotel I don't know. A better pousada that I stayed at is the Collana Park on Sao Fernandez beach, not cheap but on the beach and great views from your balcony. They have a pool and is on a great beach. Casas Brancas is not on a beach, its a nice hotel but to me the only thing good about it is you are closer to centro with the night life. Take a look at the hotels on Gereba beach, they might be cheaper and on the beach and further from centro. Take a look at www.gringomanagement.com he has some choices in Buzios. Another place I stayed is Nas Rocas on its own private island in Buzios.

swinggal Oct 15th, 2003 10:40 AM

If not staying in the Centro how does one get there at night for going out? Are there a lot of Taxis, are they expensive, is it safe? I would like to beach and party and am not sure if it's more convenient to commute for going out or better to commute to beach (since that's during the day). Any advise?

Also, has anyone taken that bus that goes from Rio to Buzios?

Dondiega Oct 15th, 2003 01:13 PM

Hi Swinggal, good questions. I have been to Buzios several times and the last time was last March. I stayed at the Collana Park pousadda and it was right on the beach. I did go to centro every night and there were taxis at 3 and 4 in the morning to take me back to my hotel, you just have to find the taxi stand no problem. So it shouldn't be a problem staying at the beach but I do love just walking home late at night a few blocks at 3 or 4 in the morning it beats finding the taxi stand. During the day I find it easier to commute to any beach by taxi especially if you want to visit the different beaches in Buzios, just because you stay on one beach you might want to go and visit another as they are all different and known for different things. And I don't know why Casas Brancas gets such high marks, it is a nice hotel but its not on a beach, its just on a side street and it is expensive. You can do better at a better price, just keep looking, when are you going?

I have never taken the bus to Buzios, I have taken taxis as I am always pressed for time. I did once take a van back from Buzios and it was cheaper than a taxi, you can find them. I do know people who have taken the bus to Buzios picked at the Rodoviario (spelling?) and it is cheap and safe but doesn't take you to the door of your hotel it leaves you off at the entrance of town. Sometimes your hotel can direct you to a van service or look on the Buzios website I think they mention the van service (Mr Taxi?) , good luck.

hammail Oct 19th, 2003 12:14 AM

The Barracuda in Buzios was amazing. Nice rooms, great views...close to town...beautiful pool. A bit expensive but worth it. Great service. This was in 2001.