Posters minding their manners

Apr 2nd, 2016, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Posters minding their manners

A comment recently made by a tenant of mine.
"I tried looking for travel information about Merida on Fodor's but all I found was people taunting each other. I can go sit with my grandchildren if I want to hear that".

Just food for thought.
Apr 2nd, 2016, 08:58 AM

Did you mean to post this somewhere else, cybor? This is a pretty well-behaved board.
Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:05 AM

Occasionally, threads here degenerate into arguments, but by and large, I think people treat each other respectfully.

Just as important, though: There's more to the Fodor's site than the forums. If your friend clicks on the Destinations link at the top, s/he can find a ton of information about Mérida. I know because I updated the Mérida material for the Yucatan section in the most recent Fodor's guidebook.
Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Volcano, I meant to post it here.
I don't post in the other place.

Jeff,
I'll tell my tenants to take a look in the destination area. Thanks for the tip.
Apr 2nd, 2016, 09:39 AM

Thank you for the reminder, Cybor. Good manners, even in cyber space.
Apr 2nd, 2016, 11:04 AM

Apologies, cybor - I thought it was meant for the Lounge. Hope your friend finds some helpful info.
Apr 2nd, 2016, 04:46 PM

Well, there is a tendency of people here (Fodor's) to stake out turf, and when some less-established poster recommends something the "experts" (PQ calls them "Fodorgarchs", which annoys the hell out of the "Fodorgarchs", but I think serves well) disagree with, the responses can be kind of personal. I can see where that could discourage participation.
Apr 3rd, 2016, 07:50 AM

I was part of the thread you are referring to. I have never been on that side of Mexico, but commented that Merida is not ON a beach (it's about 1/2 hour drive away) because the OP thought a beach was very nearby.

Since I have not personally been to that area one of the regulars did not like my post, even though it was true and accurate.
Apr 3rd, 2016, 08:47 AM

If the thread in question is the one suze is referring to, then it may have been the comment about her not driving in the area of MX where she goes on west coast near Puerto Vallarta, because she feels that too much can go wrong. This was a comment to a poster who wanted to rent and drive a car in Yucatan. Several posters disagreed with suze's comment. Two of them called suze out personally about it. I disagreed with it also, as I rent cars frequently in Cancun and Playa del Carmen and use them to go all over the state, including Merida. I posted my reply based solely on my experience. I think posting based on one's own real experience is most effective and helpful so I try to keep my posts based on that. But yes, there definitely are people here who do not like to see posting in areas one is not familiar with and they do call people out about it. Suze does always preface her comments by saying her experience is in Puerto Vallarta.
Apr 3rd, 2016, 08:52 AM

And if that is the thread you are writing about cybor, then the comment about all they found was people taunting each other is not accurate. Look at the thread. A LOT of good info was given to the OP in that thread in response to the numerous questions asked. I guess the person may not have a lot of experience with online boards, as there is frequently disagreement, but you just focus on the good info you get and let the rest fall away, and that is pretty good for free. Most of all, respect that many posters spend their time giving good info and advice to you when you ask a question here.
Apr 3rd, 2016, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

My tenant never referred to one specific thread or person.
I apologize if anyone felt singled out.
Apr 3rd, 2016, 05:25 PM

The thread above is one of only two threads asking about Merida in the last several weeks, and the only thread where there was any discourse that someone could possibly construe as people "taunting" each other, although to me it seems like disagreement, not taunting. Not sure what your motivation was for posting your discussion of what your tenant said, unless it was to lead to discussion of the thread. If you did not know what the thread your tenant was talking about, why did you post that people need to mind their manners? Because your tenant thought so, without checking out the actual thread? I don't get it.
Apr 3rd, 2016, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

I fear that my tenant is reading this and do not want to get into details. I will say that he was planning his trip to Merida and a few other places in Mx for quite sometime.
I imagine that if everyone here is being polite that this should be a non issue.

Kind regards
Apr 4th, 2016, 12:08 AM

An interesting thread. I think the level of friendliness/good manners varies hugely between the forums. I just popped in here to see whether it would be worth posting a few questions here regarding a possible six month trip to Central America. I usually frequent the South America and Asia forums. The SA forum is very friendly and has few problems with impolite or aggressive members, The Asia forum is generally ok but seems to have deteriorated in recent time with a few of the more regular members turning quite unpleasant at times if people dare to disagree with their point of view. the Europe forum however, is just awful.

Seems like a nice vibe here though!
Apr 4th, 2016, 01:26 AM
kja

I am, as a whole, glad to be part of a community -- the Fodor's community -- in which so many people give so generously of their time and energy to help other travelers. What a privilege!

Nonetheless, I admit that I am, sometimes, dismayed by our lack of civility. And I'll own to my part in that: I've certainly chosen my words, my tone, or my messages poorly on more than one occasion, and I hope to be forgiven for -- and to learn from -- those lapses.

That said, I think crellston makes a good point about the differences between forums. My sense, FWIW: There are, IMO, a few regular posters on the Europe forum who are consistently and intransigently obstreperous. IME, most of us who post there with any frequency know them and know to ignore them. (Or, for whatever reason, to occasionally engage them, even knowing what the outcome will be.) As for the Asia forum, my impression is that most regular posters have sorted themselves into isolated camps of mutual support who simply don't respond to posts or threads by outsiders (or "other" siders) -- until they are, for whatever reason, drawn into contact, and then my best advice would be to take cover, as - IME - they have been known to attack en masse -- and sometimes, quite viciously. There are some welcome exceptions, though -- posters who are willing to help without regard to "camp"....

I sincerely hope that cybor's tenant didn't come across any of the recent sniping on these other forums, as there have been some truly nasty threads of late -- IMO.

And despite some of these nasty threads and obstreperous posters, Fodor's truly is fortunate -- IMO -- to have so many dedicated and generous posters.

Kudos to all of you who choose to share your time and expertise (even if with an occasional lapse in civility.) JMO....
Apr 4th, 2016, 09:11 AM

Well there is not a lot of information on Merida on this forum, so I assumed that was the thread being referred to.

I don't mind being singled out because I do sometimes participate on threads for parts of Mexico I have not been to, always stating that. Like when people are worried they don't speak Spanish, or about safety, or currency, etc.

Even the driving question I state is my OWN preference. It's not only in PV, I personally (traveling solo) would not rent a car in Mexico. Doesn't mean someone else can't do what they want.
Apr 4th, 2016, 01:02 PM

If that was indeed the thread.....
When certain people generalize about a topic such as driving "in Mexico", one person's personal experience in one area of the country cannot possibly be generalized to the entire rest of the country. For example, driving recently in Baja (travelng solo) was nothing like my experience driving in the Yucatan. I would not advise driving (or not) in one area based on driving only in the other. Apples and oranges. But some people persistently don't wish to hear that politely even from someone who does have experience in both places. Since often it seems that an OP takes advice from the squeakiest wheel, that can be frustrating for other participants.
Apr 4th, 2016, 01:33 PM

Well I wouldn't rent a car and drive in Europe either. No one on that forum has every questioned me for sharing this opinion. I am not advising others, just saying that for me it's easier to plan a trip based around train travel.

I have never questioned anyone's input regardless of their opinion.
Apr 7th, 2016, 08:48 AM

So now it's onions to apples and oranges.
Can it be assumed that you have been to Europe in that case?

You state you have not been to the Yucatan, so how exactly do you think posting your personal comfort level with driving there, where you have not ever been let alone driven or even taken a bus, (not in other parts of Mexico where conditions can be quite different) is relevant to the OP of that thread asking about getting around in the Yucatan? I fail to see how that is useful to the OP. IMO it just further muddles the situation for an OP who does not know the Yucatan, or indeed any of Mexico.

Am I within the measures of politeness in suggesting that, while you have a right to post, those posts do not add quality to the information given by those who have first hand experience in a certain place, and that perhaps someone in that situation (of not posting personal experience in a given place) might consider what their motivation is for posting?
Apr 7th, 2016, 08:52 AM

btw.....I'm done banging my head against a wall on this issue. Respond as you will if you are so "persistent" as to need the last word.

My comments on this forum are, and always will be, based on my personal experience in a distinct given location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO