Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Plse help with a Celebration trip for teen and a visually impaired 11 y.o!

Old Dec 21st, 2013, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am turning once again to Fodor Forums for the excellent help we've received in the past. We are searching for ideas for a trip in April during which our daughter will turn 16. Several years ago we traveled to Costa Rica and loved it and thus have been considering another trip there. Yet, we also love to experience new cultures so we are considering another country such as Mexico.
It's been a rough few years for our family medically, so we are seeking a celebration and are not establishing strict budget limitations. We have never been to an all inclusive resort, but are not opposed to the idea. Cultural experiences and activities like hiking, zip lining and swimming have great appeal. A place that has natural beauty, educational/historic/ or cultural elements and lots to do would be ideal. It can be a resort or a rental home.
We are eager to read any ideas or recommendations from our friends on Fodors!
Many thanks!
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 09:09 PM
RAC

I would suggest somewhere in Mexico, specifically either the Yucatan peninsula or the Palenque area in Chiapas.
Old Dec 21st, 2013, 11:46 PM

How much time are you thinking?
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

We plan to be there for 6 days. Sadly, our time is limited by the strict school attendance policies.
Thanks
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM

I think the Yucatán could be perfect - lots of options for lodging and lots of activities including snorkeling, hiking, Maya sites, and beaches near by. My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 03:56 PM
kja

I agree that the Yucatan could work well for you of the Palenque area of Chiapas or San Cristobal de las Casas, also in Chiapas. Some considerations:

- Although the Yucatan has some places of incredible natural beauty (e.g., the beach at Tulum, the Dzitnup cenotes outside of Valladolid), I must admit that I did not find the region particularly beautiful. In fact, I found much of it visually uninteresting -- much of it is just a flat area with scrub palm, etc., extending as far as my eye could see.

- In contrast, the Yucatan is filled with things of cultural and historic interest -- more than can be seen in 6 days.

- Palenque is not that interesting a city IMO, but the archeological site and museum are outstanding and the area has some stunningly beautiful places (e.g., Agua Azul). I think an active family would love the area for a few days. I'm not sure there's enough there for 6 days.

- San Cristobal de las Casas is quite lovely IMO; offers some interesting cultural, historic, and educational options; and is within reasonable day-trip distance of some other great areas (e.g., Chiapa de Corzo and even Agua Azul). If you go here, don't miss a guided tour of the present day Mayan communities outside of the city, or the Mayan Medicine Museum or the Casa Na Bolom or the local markets or .... I would think that a stay of 6 days would be ideal for a family vacation centered here.

I found the Moon Guide particularly helpful for these areas and, as I recall, it provided good coverage of active options.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
kja

Another idea: with 6 days, you can probably combine Palenque AND San Cristobal de las Casas. Could be an awesome celebration!
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Great Ideas. Thank you so much. You even answered some of my questions before I posed them!

I was wondering if it was possible to visit both San Cristobal and Palenque during that time period and it sounds like it is.

Many thanks for your advice and time everyone!
Old Dec 22nd, 2013, 08:25 PM
kja

I'm not sure whether it would work for your family configuration, but if you do go to San Cristobal, you might check into options for staying at Bela's B&B - I thought it charming! I'm sure that Bela would do everything possible to help you meet your goals for this trip.
http://belasbandb.com

Casa Na Bolom is another deserving choice, but it is a bit further (just a bit!) from sites within the city and it is more expensive.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 01:48 AM

I think Mexico is a good bet for you. Belize is another good option - lots of amazing natural beauty and you can visit ruins, snorkel, do adventure activities and hiking. We did the San Ignacio area and Ambergris.

In CR, Manuel Antonio's Tulemar Bungalows is a fantastic place to stay. They have their own beach, lots of nearby restaurants you can walk to, tons of adventure activities, and wildlife like monkeys and sloths on the property. Not much in the way of ruins or historic cultural activities in CR though.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM

Loads of ideas and photos for/from San Cristóbal and Palenque linked here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyh...7624566397304/
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Hopefulist,I have thoroughly enjoyed browsing through the photos. It sure looks like you really experience a destination when you travel there. It's impressive.
Kja, the B and B you recommended looks wonderfully charming. It has the uniqueness and flair that we always appreciate. Thanks.

Volcanogirl, thanks for your suggestions. I think that you were the one who helped us on our Costa Rica trip, in fact! We did stay at the Tulemar Bungalows and loved them. You were so right. I needed a place where we could cook back then because our son still needed a pureed diet due to swallowing issues. The sounds of animals in the trees was fantastic…particularly since he is sight-impaired. I have been remiss in not writing up a trip report. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Dec 24th, 2013, 01:46 PM

So glad you enjoyed it. Would love to read your trip report when you get a chance. Good luck planning this one!