Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Pls Help: BsAs During Busy Holiday Season (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/pls-help-bsas-during-busy-holiday-season-544904/)

o Jul 17th, 2005 09:10 PM

Pls Help: BsAs During Busy Holiday Season

(not sure if it will make a difference, but I am re-posting this in the Argentina forum after accidentally posting it to the general LA forum. in my desperate state, just hoping to generate lots of responses asap. esp. now that I know Argentina is in midst of its busy winter holiday season. many thanks)

Greetings!

My husband and I are planning a very last minute 10 day trip to BsAs and possibly Iguazu for next week.

First, I was hoping someone might recommend a good local travel agent to assist us on short notice. I corresponded with Cintia, and understandably, she is unable to accomodate us on such short notice.

Secondly, has anyone traveled through BsAs and Iguazu during the winter? If so, any advice? Is it still recommendable to visit Iguazu? Weather? I understand the weather is in the mid-60s or so. Should we dress warmly? Anything we should avoid/miss during the winter season?

We have booked a room at the NH Jousten for our first 2 nights. From there, it's a blank slate waiting to be designed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Warmly,
Lisa

I should also mention that we are pretty active travelers and enjoy being on the move with a local flavor. Organized tour buses are not very appealing to us, but if at last minute notice, that is the only way to get an introduction, so be it.

Thanks again.

karinmarthur1969 Jul 18th, 2005 04:59 PM

Lisa;

I will be difficult to get a hotel room but not impossible. Check with the local Tourist Board about availability.
As regards local flavour with short notice i can recommend a group of people from the local University who organise walkig tours I think that might help you get a local flavour and with a quite different approach from the massive bus tour
you can contact them in this e mail [email protected]
They can give the local flavour and I do not think there is any problem with you telling them with short notice.
The weather in Iguazu is warm must be aroung 20º (celsius)
Buenos Aires is around 8º to 10º. So you should bring both warm and light clothes
Have a nice trip

o Jul 19th, 2005 08:34 AM

Thank you!

hobbes Jul 20th, 2005 04:29 AM

Iguazu is fab. we were there in May. Stay at the sheraton. It is worth the money for the convenience. It is tropical all year round. In BA think of staying at one of the boutique hotels. Search this forum for recos. BA was chilly even in May. Layer as days are unpredictable. Look up an organization called cicerones - locals who offer unpaid guide services. It was one of the highlights of my BA trip to have a great friend there. Try to get one. Search my earlier posts on this forum.

drdawggy Jul 20th, 2005 05:23 AM

I agree about the Sheraton in Iguazu. Worth the difference because of the location.

In Buenos Aires, try the Bobo...a really fine hotel for the money..rooms range from U$80-120 plus tax.