Please review my itinerary!

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please review my itinerary!

Hi I'm new to Fodor's message boards! I need some help planning our honeymoon.
We're going 3/27/06-4/4/06

3/27- transfer from airport to Peace Lodge, one night stay

3/28- transfer to Tabacon for 1 night stay, view volcano; do canopy tour

3/29-4/1 Fly to Pt Jiminez for 3 nights at Lapa Rios bungalow

4/1- Fly to Quepos for 3 night stay at Makanda by the Sea

4/2- Rafting Rio Naranjo

4/3- Nauyaca Falls by horseback

4/4- flight home

Is this too much? Is there anything we can or should cut out to lessen the expenses or make our trip more memorable?
Thanks so much, any help is appreciated

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:14 AM

I'll leave the true advice to the experts, of which there are many, but just wanted to say you will LOVE Makanda by the Sea. The villas are extraordinary, and the infinity pool is great way to spend afternoon after a morning hike/zip line or other activity.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM

In my opinion, it is too much.
I would spend 1 Day Peace Lodge, 3 days in Arenal, 3 days in Quepos, and 4 days in Osa. Something like that.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:53 AM

To me, it's incredibly rushed. When factor in transfer times you're going to get in a lot less than you think. Just me, I'd do 1 night PL, 3 nights Lapa Rios, 3 nights in Arenal, 1 night near the airport, someplace like Xandari.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Dariow and Tully: would you go in that order????? Is that possible?
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I would throw San Jose in the middle and fly back and forth to Osa and Quepos from SJ to save time and hassle.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:43 PM

I give to your itinerary an A+.

Do NOT do more than 1 night at the Arenal, the main attraction is tabacon, canopy tour is great and to see the volcano at nigh spectacular, you can do all these by staying 1 night at Arenal. (Not much else to do).

This recommendation:
• SJO to Peace Lodge - A+ (1 night)
• Peace Lodge to Tabacon – A+ (1 night)
• Tabacon to Lapa Rios bungalow (Located between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park) – A (3 nights)
• Lapa Rios to Makanda by the Sea – A+(3 nights)
• Rafting Rio Naranjo is a class II/Iii – A+
• Horseback is okay – C+

Definitely not too much. Remember to take mosquito repellent and NO jewelry (maybe a cheap watch to keep time if needed).
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 03:59 PM

I respectfully disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Keep in mind, along with the time you spend to transfer from point to point, it also gets dark in CR early, usually around 5:30.

There are very few places I would consider, personally, going to for just one night, especially Arenal.

kcc, if you would, please post what time your flt arrives & departs, and also what you had in mind as far as transport (car, driver, shuttle bus et al).
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 05:23 PM

kcc78,
Agree with Tully and dariow--too much itinerary for the time you have. Definitely extend your time at Arenal and drop the Quepos part of the trip. OR save Lapa Rios for another time and enjoy Quepos/Manuel Antonio. Most people would agree that Arenal/Manuel Antonio make a great intro to Costa Rica. But those of us who have been to the Osa know that it is a fantastic destination as well.

Don't do Arenal for one night only---you'll regret that decision. There is actually a LOT to do there! It is a beautiful area. Most of the advice you are getting is excellent--you should heed! And congratulations!
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

OK thanks everyone for the suggestions. We won't arrive to San Jose until about 2 pm on 3/27. Should we go straight to Tabacon.........or splurge and stay a night in Peace Lodge? Is it worth it?
Then spend some time at Tabacon (or if you know of a better, more romantic place, please let me know! I know there are mixed reviews of Tabacon)
Then travel on to either Lapa Rios or M.A.? That we will have to decide.

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:41 PM

Okay, you have 8 nights? Do yourselves a favor and stay one night at Peace Lodge. You are going to be tired from travel, and it will be late in the day (by the time you get out of the airport and pick up your rental vehiclre). Savor La Paz the next morning, then drive to Arenal in the afternoon, arriving late afternoon on the 28th. Stay 2 nights at Arenal at least. Check out Lost Iguana--gets great reviews. Tabacon gets too many negative ones for my tastes. Also, Arenal Paraiso is more rustic, but a very decent place to stay with a good volcano view.

March 30, back to San Jose for late morning/early afternoon flight to Puerto Jimenez or Quepos. What time is your flight home on the 4th? You may need to return to San Jose the day before. You might even want to take your time getting to San Jose from Arenal, stay the night near the airport, then fly to your final destination on the 31st for 3 or 4 nights.

Once you decide locations, check your flight times, driving times, and you can refine your itinerary a bit. Good luck!