Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Please Lynne - finish with Arenal (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/please-lynne-finish-with-arenal-483290/)

Auntylynne Oct 29th, 2004 07:01 PM

Please Lynne - finish with Arenal

Okay, so I've ruined the trantula viewing for everyone but myself and my husband. You know what, the guide still spent a lot of time talking about ants, other bugs, plants and trees. Even the people who were on the volcano tour from the day prior with us that looked as though they probably won the trip on the Price Is Right knew to tip the guides. People were actually complaining on the van transport back to the various hotels how disappointed they were at the lack of things to see. What did they expect? It was a twilight tour for corn sake. I realize I had a hand in ruining the bug viewing, but quite frankly most were trailing so far behind the pack that didn't even know the precious little critter had stuck her head out to say hi before I scared the daylights out of her.

Let's move on to the best part of the whole Arenal experience for both me and my husband. Let me just preface the experience by saying that this is one of those memories I flash back to relax myself when my boss calls me into the office and shuts to door. Oh, God. In trouble for saying something I shouldn't have. When will I ever learn. At 40, probably never.

Before we left I had us all set up to experience some hot springs. Now, because we have access to Glen Oaks Hot Springs an hour or so from where I live in California, Tabacon didn't seem all that enticing. We wanted something more intimate and that is exactly what we got.

I had read on a post about a family run hot springs. So after much digging I nailed down the details. This particular family owns a lot of land there and don't want their little haven to get too crowded so they don't advertise it. I realize my posting this is probably opening up a can of worms, but many people probably won't go to the great lengths I did to secure a reservation to the place. Something to the tune of an $18 phone call a month before we landed.

The place in short, is gorgeous and like I'd hoped, intimate. They serve dinner there and it was with no doubt the most delicious evening meal of our trip. I won't play this gig up to much since it may not be for everyone. Why, I don't know but many people whose posts I have read like places a little more mainstream and that is fine. I'll tell you this much, you can ask any person running a hotel where the hot springs is across the street from the Volcan disco and you'll get there. The hotel can hook you up with reservations. It doesn't need to be quite the covert mission I endured.

I have overstayed my posting priviledges with you guys already so we'll just have to wait on the boat jeep ride to Monteverde, Tamarindo and La Paz Waterfalls.

If I have time after my hair appointment tomorrow, I'll post this portion of the trip. If not, I'll try to find some time next week.

Lynne

Jessie_ Oct 30th, 2004 07:40 AM

Enjoying your report. To keep it somewhat together you could do each section as a different reply to the one before it. This would have the whole report on one thread. You can go back and add to the same thread as many times as you want. If you post each adventure individually someone might miss some of your exciting and fun narration.

Auntylynne Oct 30th, 2004 08:41 AM

Thanks Jessie. That is just what I'll do for my Monteverde adventure. And by the way, I realized this morning that the whole tarantula and twilight tour actually took place in Monteverde. Oh, well.

jlh370 Oct 30th, 2004 08:48 AM

Lynne-

I am curious to hear more about the hot springs. My husband and I are in our mid-twenties and we like the more secluded and off the beaten track things. Could you post some details about your experience at the hot springs or email me? [email protected] Thanks. I have never been to CR or Tabacon for that matter, so I don't have anything to compare it to... but it would still be nice.

(We too live in LA but I have yet to go to Glen Oaks. I hear great things, though.)

Jessie_ Oct 30th, 2004 10:20 AM

Don't worry Aunty, that will be our secret. They have tarantulas everywhere so it will still go down as one of the more amusing stories in my book no matter where it took place.

flycatcher06 Oct 31st, 2004 06:55 AM

hi there, can you also send me the info and any pictures you may have and also how was the dinner? prices, etc. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks

stillriver Oct 31st, 2004 07:46 AM

Would love information and pictures on your hotsprings visit too. If you could, please email to [email protected]

Thank you so much
Gail

plmrod Oct 31st, 2004 08:15 AM

Lynne,

PLEASE send me info about these hot springs--sounds exactly what my husband and i are looking for--a small intimate place. ALso, what kind of costs were involved? Food also?

thanks so much--i really want this to be special--the first time my husband and I are traveling together in year (just the 2 of us--ni kiddies!_

[email protected]

thanks in advance

bamagreen Oct 31st, 2004 04:52 PM

Lynne,
I would love info on the hotsprings too!! The dinner sounds great, any details on this too (prices, types of food, etc.) We'll be in Arenal for Christmas and this place sounds great. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thanks!

Jessie_ Oct 31st, 2004 04:58 PM

Most likely the hot springs were at the Hildago family farm. Those that have gone off to a quieter night there rather than Tabacon have enjoyed themselves immensely. They do limit the amount of people to keep it a small operation.