Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Please help with final touches on cr trip. I think I've included too much.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on our CR trip for a month or so-- with much help from these posts as well as reading several good guidebooks. I thought I had things pretty well firgured out, but my husband (in his 70's-- tho in great condition) feels we're probably trying to do too much, esp. too much time on the road. I hope some of you can suggest ways we might cut back-- or perhaps tell me that it's not too much?

nights 1 &2 Peace Lodge; 2nd day to La Selva Biological station for guided hikes.

nights 3 &4 Arenal Observatory Lodge (we're not much interested in the hot springs,mainly want handsome surroundings and great hikes. Are scheduled to do Hanging Bridges tour as well as National Park tour. I know I won't see eruptions from Lodge, but it seemed like the hiking would be good and convenient.)

nights 5&6 Villa Caletas, with Tarcoles river tour on the 6th

nights 7,8,9 Makanda, with whatever tours we decide in the MA area. oh-- and on way to Makanda, we're scheduled to do Rainmaker river and canopy tour

nights 10&11 Xandari to relax and maybe do the arial tram tour

We've always rented a car when we've traveled in the past, but this time will be getting private or semi-private transportation from place to place. Still, it seems like an awful lot of time on the road-- and maybe too much activity also. And maybe too much switching of accommodations?

In short, I'd be very grateful for any help in fine-tuning this itinerary. I wish we'd gone to CR when we were younger, but I've always been eager to go, so now's the time (January). But I don't want to have it ruined by over-eager planning.

Just as an e.g.: I was wondering about maybe cutting out Arenal altogether-- maybe staying at Peace Lodge for a couple of extra days, doing Poas instead? The reason I included Caletas,by the way, is that we hated the idea of that very long drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio.

Thanks so very much!!
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 09:38 AM

That itinerary doesn't sound too bad to me. Most of those drives would be pretty short. It all depends on how much R&R your looking to do.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

FadeAway-- Thanks for your reply. I've been told that the trip from Peace Lodge to Arenal is 41/2 hrs. Similarly from Arenal to Caletas. That seems long to me. Maybe not by CR standards? What I'm even more wondering about is whether it makes sense to include things like La Selva (which sounds great to me, tho I haven't read much about it on these posts). I hope that I get more responses.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:06 AM

I don't think it's really 4 hours from Peace Lodge to Arenal. I haven't made the trip yet, but that sounds way too long. I haven't heard a whole lot about Selve Verde yet either, so I'm not much help there. I'm leaving for my first trip in a week, so all my knowledge comes from what I've learned on these boards. Hopefully, someone with first hand experience will come along and help you.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Selve Verde isn't the same as La Selva-- very different. Have a great time on your trip! (I was glad to read the post to you about Peace Lodge.)
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 11:35 AM

You're right, I don't know why I was thinking Selva Verde when you clearly wrote La Selva. Anyway, I'm not familiar with that place either. Good luck with your planning.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Just got back last night from an AWESOME trip to CR. Definitely keep Peace Lodge - very relaxing & beautiful surroundings. The drive from there to Arenal is only about 2 hours max - we did a stop off for a tour so we didnt go straight there but I know it isn't 4 hours. I would probably recommend staying not staying at Arenal Observatory Lodge - I wanted to stay there at first too and ended up staying at Arenal Paraiso. Be prepared though that after Peace Lodge, Paraiso will be VERY basic - but the grounds there are beautiful and it is much closer to drive to the hike to Fortuna or horseback riding or restaurants, etc. I think you will feel somewhat isolated at the Observ Lodge and may not feel like making the drive out all the time to do things....just read that you might not drive. The driving was VERY easy and the worst part was from Arenal to Tamarindo with LOTS of potholes which you won't be driving that road anyway. Without a car, you'll probably be eating a lot of meals at the hotels, etc. And, the one thing I wish I would have done was end our trip at a place like Xandari - haven't seen it but I think you will have a better experience the last few nights than a random night at an airport hotel. Enjoy!!! One other thing - Arenal just had an avalanche of lava rocks & they evacuated the National Park - so be careful!!!