Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Please help with bus transportation from Puebla to Morelia

Please help with bus transportation from Puebla to Morelia

Nov 7th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Please help with bus transportation from Puebla to Morelia

Hi all,

As part of my one month trip to Mexico in Feb, I am planning to go from Puebla to Morelia in one day. Is there a first class bus that does this without my having to go into Mexico City to make a connection. Thanks in advance for your help.
Nov 7th, 2018, 05:35 PM
kja

Have you checked rome2rio.com?
Nov 7th, 2018, 06:00 PM

Futura's website seems to be the fastest trip, some 7 hours. I do not know if they route through CDMX; their page doesn't indicate. Sorry. ETN/Turistar routes through Queretaro, but it's about the same time as Futura. You've probably already checked those.
Nov 7th, 2018, 07:36 PM

I'd probably opt for the Querétaro routing from Puebla. True, Querétaro is a bit further north than Morelia and not all that small of a city itself, but I found the traffic night and day better than anything running into CDMX. I've done Puebla--> San Luis Potosí twice via Querétaro using an ETN/Primera Plus combination.
Nov 8th, 2018, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

I checked Rome to Rio which shows Puebla to Morelia via Queretero on ETN leaving CAPU at 10:20 and arriving at 5:20, but I could not tell if I stay on the same bus or have to connect in Queretero. Is there any way for me to tell from the website?

Also, I could not tell if Futura leaves from a bus station other than CAPU.

At the moment I think I will opt for the route through Queretero. I assume this ETN bus is first class, correct? Daniel, it sounds like you were satisfied with ETN.

One one more question: How would you allocate 10 days between Morelia, Patzcuaro and Queretero, taking into consideration the travel days necessary to get from one to the other, Right now I am basing myself in Morelia for 6 nights and doing 2 separate day trips to Patzcuaro to avoid changing hotels. We also have 3 nights in Queretero giving us 2 full days there.. Any thoughts on this plan?
Nov 8th, 2018, 10:34 AM

This is a copy of my response form another poster's question re: Morelia and Patzcuaro:
Near Patzcuaro are the towns of Santa Clara Del Cobre and Quiroga. The former is known for amazing, hand-hammered copper goods. There are a couple shops where they demonstrate how they hammer out a lump of copper into beautiful bowls and vases. Fascinating work. The latter is know for their carnitas, you can sample several vendors. Also a few leather stores. There are a couple of ruin sites nearby, Tzintzunzan & Tinganio, the latter is likened to a mini-Teotihuacan. Of course, Uruapan is known for the Cupatitzio park, macadamia nuts candies & liquors, fresh trout, avocados and avocado products. Some of Mexico's best coffee is grown there too, and La Lucha has it fresh roasted and ground every day. They also have a shop in Morelia. There are some falls, Tzaráracua, just outside of town that are impressive.
Morelia is a beautiful city too. Not quite as pedestrian friendly for example as Oaxaca, but still nice. A number of good restaurant options but not like San Miguel. We were there a couple months back. Beautiful acueducto. If you're into old convents, there's a couple about an hour out of town in Yuriria and Cuitzeo, 2 Pueblo Magicos on the 'Ruta De Conventos' which also include Salvatierra and Salamanca in Guanajuato state.
Likewise, I copied these random responses I made to another poster's questions on Queretaro (and since you've got 3 nights planned, disregard my comment about just 1 night):
I'd recommend checking out the Hercules microbrewery. It's housed in an old textile mill that is still semi-operational. The menu is somewhat limited, but its a good place to maybe meet some locals as patrons share picnic table as they eat and/or drink. It's located at near the beginning of Queretaro's acueducto, so if you took a taxi (10 minutes from centro) you'd get a nice view of that, too. There is another restaurant on site as well, Planta Alta Cocina.
Re: Queretaro. I lived there for a year in part because it has an attractive, lively, walkable center with plenty of good eating options. I think it has the largest colonial center of any city in Mexico apart from CDMX. Plenty of history, as the plot for Mexican Independence was hatched there. That said, unless you want to do day trips to Bernal (a quaint colonial town with it's hikeable peña), and/or Tequisquiapan, you could probably get a good feel for the city with just 1 night, given your semi-structured schedule.
Re: ETN, it is indeed "delujo" (wifi included, tho the service is sketchy), they have some double decker buses with 3 across seating (1, aisle, then 2). If you want to ensure the front row for the view, you can book in advance with Paypal. When I've used ETN and they've had a stop somewhere en route, you do not change buses.
Nov 8th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Could you tell me what you mean by "sketchy" service. Do they cancel trips? I'd be in trouble if they did this as I have a confirmed reservation in Morelia and there are only 4 trips a day, 2 being night buses which I would not use. Is Futurama any better?
Nov 8th, 2018, 12:56 PM

I meant the on-board 'wifi' service/connection is sketchy. ETN is fine. When we go to Mexico City from San Miguel, we usually opt for ETN over Primera Plus because their buses (at least the double-decker) are roomier, even though they cost a bit more and have a stop in Queretaro.
Nov 8th, 2018, 01:02 PM

hi ShelleyK,

I imagine Baldone is referring to the WiFi service being sketchy rather the the actual bus service. At least I hope so as we have several trips planned with ETN!

On elf my many plans was to try and go from Puebla to Morelia or VV but all I could find were routings via Queterero as mentioned above or via MC. As it happened we extended our stay and we are now overnighting in Mexico City en route from Oaxaca to Morelia so it wasn’t an issue ithe the end.

I am the other poster to whom boldone is referring and have pretty much followed his advice in many aspects of our forthcoming trip.We hummed and ha’ed about Morelia and Pátzcuaro and in the end decided on 3 Morelia and 4 Patzcuaro on the basis that there seems to be lots to see around Pátzcuaro and we found some real ice places to stay there too. We also considered Urapan as we are going on to Guadalajara but it seemed like to much packing and in packing.Of course we won’t be there until late December so won’t know if that was the right decision till then!
Nov 8th, 2018, 05:16 PM
kja

With rome2rio.com -- please click through all the links, and as necessary, check the websites of the actual transportation services and check maps (e.g., google maps) if you have questions about the relative locations of specific stations.

Sorry I didn't say so when originally posting!
Nov 9th, 2018, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

crellston-If you get a chance to post your impressions of Morelia and Patzcuaro after you reach there I would appreciate that as I don't leave for my trip until Feb. 1 and I can alter my reservation in Morelia at that time. I am planning on doing 2 full days in Patzcuaro from Morelia because I do not want to change hotels, so I know your feelings about not going to Uruapan. I had considered going there also, but it pulls me too far out of the way as I am heading to Queretero, San Miguel Allende and Guanajuato after we leave Morelia. Have a wonderful trip.
Nov 9th, 2018, 07:00 AM

I will make a point to post on this thread for you shelleyk. As always it is our best intention to post as we travel, but as we are only just getting started on our trip to Italy in June, I fear is unlikely!

We seem to be traveling in opposite directions - we are in Mexico City at present and then head to Zacatecas, back down to Guanajuato, then a one nighter in Queterero and on Puebla before heading south. We then return north to SMdeA before heading to Morelia. Maybe I will start a TR as a prelude to our blog???

As t is we are loving it here México City!
Nov 12th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, crellston. I will look for your post.
BTW,we spent 2 weeks in Mexico City on two separate trips, and still have not seen everything we wanted to see, though we've seen most of what was on our agenda. That is why we are skipping it on this trip and going from Puebla to Morelia. Mexico City certainly is a world class city, with great art work, museums and food. Have a wonderful time there.
Dec 15th, 2018, 05:23 AM

Hi Shelleyk,
We arrived in Morelia last night and amazingly I remembered I had promised to post re my impressions.

Well our first impressions of Morelia are very, very positive. As soon as we walked out around the beautiful Centro Historico we both said we loved the place. The Christmas celebrations are beginning to wind up and the place is buzzing, mostly with Mexicans as there doesnt seem to be too many foreign tourists here. A really nice vibe to the place. I will post more when we have been out and about more.

Seeing your itinerary, we came from San Miguel by ETN bus via a short top in Querétaro. ETN are really very good ( and I speak from the experience of thousands of miles and hundreds of hours in buses all over South America and elsewhere!) . Comfortable and on time, what more do you need? I have mostly booked at bus stations on arrival for our next leg etc. You can also book online but only pay using Paypal.

As an aside, by contrast, San Miguel de Allende didn’t impress - very expensive and overrun with expat retirees. The Catedral was stunning but I was disappointed by the rest of the town. It was not the pristine Pueblo Magico I had expected from the guidebooks.

There seem to be plenty of tours available from here to the surrounding villages but the main ones seem to be to Patzcuarao and the Mariposa Monarca , both full days and cost around 500-750 pesos.
I think you will love it here!
Dec 16th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for posting your first impressions of Morelia where we will be spending 5 full days, at least one of which will be a day trip to Patzcuaro. If you take any tours to the surrounding towns I'd be interested in your feedback. We will probably go to Patzcuaro on our own, and I think we might pass on the Butterfly tour, although we will make both final decisions once we arrive. Re ETN, we will probably take a 7 hour ETN bus from Puebla to Morelia, though the bus schedule for Feb. is not out yet. I'd be interested in any other tips/observations you might have once you have spent some time in Morelia. Enjoy Morelia!

Search this Thread