Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

please help, sister is adopting from Colombia and has to spend 3-4 weeks there. i'm worried...

Search

please help, sister is adopting from Colombia and has to spend 3-4 weeks there. i'm worried...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 02:07 PM
edie

perhaps i shouldn't have seen Proof of Life? <BR>Seriously, she and her husband, as well as my parents are going to be staying in Colombia for about 1 month while they await the finalizing of the adoption. i have not idea how to spell the name of the city, phonetically it is: <BR>Med-a-ying <BR> <BR>does anyone know anything about this place? they plan on staying holed up in the hotel the whole time. but i am still frantic. <BR> <BR>thanks! <BR>

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 05:28 PM
BY

The US State Dept. posts traveler's advisories. You might start there.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 05:34 PM
BY

I forgot to mention that I think the city name is spelled 'Medellin'.

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 07:46 AM
teague

Hi, <BR>Please check: http://travel.state.gov/. <BR>I believe this is the address for the state dept. There are many warnings on Columbia! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:29 AM
elliott norris

i just got back yesterday from bogota, cartegena and barranquilla. no problems. <BR> <BR>problems are mostly in the countryside. <BR> <BR>i was in medellin in december. it is the nicest city in colombia. lots of space ,very clean, very wealthy. <BR> <BR>i recommend the sheraton four points. ask for carlos and tell him you are an american. you may get a discount. <BR> <BR>you may want to rent an apartment for a month for less money. <BR> <BR>if they are adopting, i will bet the mother lives in a bad part of town. only go there during the day. <BR> <BR>try to fly in and out during the day. <BR>i know an english speaking guide and driver that will pick you up. <BR> <BR>use caution as you would in any large city. there are other nice cities to visit also. buenas suerte.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 08:34 AM
sebastian

You can find about Medellin in www.medellin.com <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 08:39 AM
charles

Medellin is a modern city and normal how the ohers one. <BR>I konw this city `cause a live in colombia nothing is how you see in the news.all is good

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 10:06 AM
amy

One of my coworkers adopted a baby from Colombia about 3 years ago. He, his wife and young son also stayed there for about a month. They stayed in Cali; I don't know where that is in relation to Medellin. They said that they had to go to Bogota for a few days for the final paperwork and that was a horrible congested city, but that Cali was very nice. Several other of my coworkers have also traveled to Colombia on business with no problems. If they are adopting, they are probably working with an agency that can steer them in the right direction as far as finding a hotel or apartment in a good location. Don't worry about the post saying the mother probably lives in a bad neighborhood. If the baby is up for adoption through an agency, it is already living in a state or church run orphanage. Not to downplay state department warnings, but if people really paid attention to them they'd realize that there are just as many warnings about traveling in Mexico--yes the same Mexico that half the posts on this board refer to--as there are about Colombia. My coworker and his family are also planning on traveling back to Colombia soon to adopt another baby.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:07 AM
edie

thanks for all your input. i knew about the state dept advisory site, but i posted here to get opinions from real people who'd been there recently. <BR> <BR>they will not have any dealings directly with the mother, the baby will be in a church run facility. the hotel they are staying at is recommended by their agency, and is pretty much where all the people doing adoptions stay. this works out well b.c the hotel is equipped to deal with the babies, so they don't have to worry about cribs, etc. <BR> <BR>again i appreciate the hoset info. <BR>

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 11:34 AM
elliott norris

ssume that your sister's adoption went well. <BR> <BR>what hotel did you stay in while you were in medellin?

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 11:35 AM
elliott norris

what steps do i need to go thru to adopt a baby in colombia.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Jen

Colombia is a beautiful place and so is its peopl. You just need to beaware of whats going on around you. The people who are helping you with the adoption in Colombia will take care of you. I adopted three beautiful from there.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:54 AM
pedro

Proof of life is a estupid ignorant and destructive movie. i won't tell that in Colombia this things don't ocurr. But Medellin is a wonderful place, full of fun places, kind people and nice women. It has the same security problems as big cities ( it's a big one) , but is not the ugly small and dangerous towns as shown in proof of life. Believe i am colombian and the situation is not as bad just try not to go to far away from the cities.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:58 AM
pedro

I just think it's offensive that you think colombia is a babies market. Dont you have a body to have one. Don't think this a jungle where you can come and do whatever you please and treat us as puppies.It a beautiful country with very smart people and not a pet shop. <BR>Why don't you stop acting with that colonial superiority

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Tom

Columbia is up to their necks in guerilla warfare. It is actually two totally separate countries, and FARC has control of a hundred thousand square miles of the country side. Expect much violence in the future. The Government in Bogato has no control over the other Colombia. There is a risk going there because the guerillas consistently kidnap foreign visitors who they stupidly perceive, like Pedro above, that we are all colonial powers interested in taking them over. The country is over populated and their population is doubling every several decades. It is a recipe for disaster. Hope the baby you adopt is a nice one, don't feel guilty for adopting it either; it will have a much better life in the U.S. than a hopeless country like Columbia. Tom

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:17 PM
bogotano

Where`s "Columbia" (sic)?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Mimi

Bogotano, Columbia is on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, between about 116th and 124th Street. It's good that it was mentioned here, as it's an excellent place to visit for people who desperately want to talk about international politics but don't yet have much of an understanding thereof.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Lucy

To Tom,<BR>That 'hopeless' Country has over 40 million GOOD and honest people. They are suffering the increase demand for drugs from the 'good' foreigns as USA!!! Please learn a little history form othe countries and update your knowledge by reading the latest news. Ther is not a portion owned by the guerrillas any more. This was an attemp to reach the peace.....but, while DEMAND from powerful countries remains increasing...it will be imposible to beat teh drug business.<BR>Colombia has many beautiful cities and a larger percentage of educated and professional people form all latin america.<BR>To the lady that is adopting, don't hear either the mean opinions about adopting. It is always a great thing, not because you are bringing th babay to US, but because you will give him(Her) love and education so that in the future he (she)does not judge other cultures in such a wrong way. Go for it and do don't worry. medellin is the second larger city in Colombia, the largest industrial one with around 2.5 million hard working people. Like ANY large city in the world has dangerous neighborhoods but with the agency you won't have any problem. I am sure you will come back very satisfied, with a lot of great memories and friends forever!!!!! Best luck.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Lucita (Correction)

Message: To Tom,<BR>That 'hopeless' Country has over 40 million GOOD and honest people. They are suffering the increased demand for drugs from the 'good' foreigns as USA!!!. Please learn a little history from other countries and update your knowledge by reading the latest news. There is no longer a portion owned by the guerrillas. This was a failed attempt to reach the peace.....but, while the DEMAND from powerful countries remains increasing...it will be imposible for Colombia to beat the drug business.<BR>Colombia has many beautiful cities and the largest middle class percentage of educated and professional people from all Latin America. It is true it is a Country of many contrasts as it is its own topography and the problems are very complex. We all have our hope put on the new government.<BR><BR>To the couple that is adopting, please don't hear either the mean opinions about adoption. It is always a great and noble thing to do, not because you are bringing the baby to US, but because you will give him(Her) love and education so that in the future he (she)appreciates and values the differences of other places and cultures. It is easy to judge and generalize in an subjective and superficila way.<BR>Go for it and do don't worry. You will enjoy your visit. Medellin is the second larger city in Colombia and the largest industrial one with around 2.5 million of hard working people. Like ANY large city in the world has dangerous neighborhoods but with the agency you won't have any problems. I am sure you will come back very satisfied, with a lot of great memories and new friends that will last forever!!!!! Best luck.<BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 08:55 AM
puleze

to all of you kindly responding to edie's worries.<BR>the kid is now going to college. check the date to the query. puleze!!!!!!!