Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Please help me start planning our first trip to Costa Rica

Old Jul 15th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im starting to plan my familys first trip to Costa Rica for this upcoming April and Id appreciate any advice to get me pointed in the right direction. A little about us...were a family of 4 with 2 kids ages 11 and 14. Weve traveled as a family to Mexico, Italy, Bermuda, and our favorite repeat destination is St. John in the USVIs. We love a beautiful beach with calm waters in a natural setting is a top priority for us. Beaches lined with high rises is a huge turn off for us and I also want ware good for swimming without rough surf. Is there an area we could use as a home base and stay put in one location for 8 nights? Id prefer to stay in one place and take day trips and excursions from there. We dont care about nightlife but like a spot with some local, handcrafted shops to visit and nice restaurants we can easily get to. Wed all love to enjoy nature, maybe try rafting, zip lining, hiking in the rain forest... but were probably looking for lite adventure lol...my 11 year old dd will not be up for a strenuous 8 hour climb through the mountains and Id like a spot where Ill be less likely to have a tarantula or scorpion in my bedroom...please no judging, lol!! So if you have any advice that could help me get started Id be very appreciative!
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Tulemar Bungalows in Manuel Antonio is really nice. Take a look and see what you think. They have a beach there, but there's also a beautiful beach inside the national park. Lots of good open air restaurants you can walk to. Tons of wildlife like monkeys and sloths on the property. How rough the surf is varies day to day. There are some adventure activities in the area as well. If you decided to do a split, the Arenal area has amazing adventure activities, ziplines, natural hot springs, a gorgeous waterfall hike, etc. but it's not on the beach, it's by the volcano.
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 12:32 PM

I agree with Volcanogirl. We have three kids. The Manual Antonio area is their favorite followed by Arenal (no beaches but lots of great pools and hot springs).