Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Please help me plan 1st trip to Zihuatanejo. Never been to Mexico.....

Aug 18th, 2000, 02:29 AM
lh

For 25th anniversary "trip of a lifetime" Labor Day-ish '01 have about narrowed it down to Zihuatanejo - thinking Villa del Sol or Villa del la Roca. Concerned about costs: what will we need to budget per day for food/beer (require lots of beer), tipping, side trips (would like a day sail or sunset cruise - no fishing), etc. These resorts sound casual - is it true my husband isn't going to have to dress up during his stay? The standard rooms look fab enough at Villa del Sol - any reason to spend more $ to upgrade? And does anyone know who to contact regarding package deals (Apple, Funjet, other?) to these resorts? Thanks so much for any help.....

Aug 18th, 2000, 08:14 PM
Peggy

VDS is wonderful! We atyed in a deluxe suite with a plunge pool. Yes I would upgrade 1 step, I think it is a small mount but all the locations are good. Some standards seem hidden in corners. But they are all fine. Next time we'll go for the lagoon suite. VDS beer is about $2.50 US but just walk down the beach to all the open air restaurants, which are delighful & most places were charging $.90 to a dollar for Corona. That was Oct 98. VDS is the most expensive on the beach but very good quality food, especially lunches right on the beach whenever you desire. Most about $7.00 - $10.00 for burgers, salads etc. Coconuts in town was great. You do not have to dress up. For dinner one night at VDS my husband did wear long pants & collared shirt, the rest of the places along Las Ropas beach are casual. At Elviras, the most southern end, we had our table in the sand, barefoot under tiki torches! The best totilla soup I've ever had. Also flambed bananas in brandy at your table. With drinks, dinner & dessert it was about $20.00! Do order well cooked items, no bacon outside of VDS, just to be on the safe side. I believe we booked Apple or Pleasant Holidays, it was a package from LAX, any travel agent could book it. I highly recommend Zihua & the Villa Del Sol. Your budget per day could run the gamut, just depends on how high, middle or low you go, all is available. Drink bottled water, it is provided. one note on tipping, in general in Mexico. At VDS they will add another 15% onto your charges so if you want to tip an individual do so in cash. We charged everything plus generous tips to our room charge & then when we checked out they added another 15% to that so we were paying 15% service charge on top of the 15% -20% tips! SO we paid about 30-40% service charges. It is a "suggested" service charge but we had already been more than generous on the tab & in cash. Next time I would tip only in cash to those who gave great service knowing the basic charge was covering the rest. We always leave something for the room maids. Don't be concerned about that, just have a wonderful time!

Aug 19th, 2000, 08:50 AM
mexicodan

Try www.zihua.net or www.zihuatanejo-ixtapa.com.mx. I'm at www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm

adios!

Aug 19th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Susan

We spent a couple of weeks in Zihuatanejo in Feb/99 and loved it. We didn't stay at Villa del Sol (too pricy for my budget), but it's right on the same beach as a lot of other hotels and restaurants. You can easily eat elsewhere, drink elsewhere, etc. There are some really good restaurants in town as well. I had a pedicure at a shop not far from the beach - $3.50 US and it was wonderful! Also had 3 massages on the beach - I believe Villa del Sol offers massage, but $40 US - the women on the beach were $10 US, so quite a savings and it was a good massage. You'll have fun, although it'll be very hot at Labour Day. The whole town is very casual - you won't have to dress up. There are some wonderful classy restaurants overlooking the bay - I think my husband may have worn pants (dockers or something similar) one night, but he was usually in shorts.

Aug 20th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Linda

Thanks to you all - VERY helpful info. VDS is starting to sound like the perfect fit for us (I'm looking for romance, pampering, and to be a little bit adventuresome). Susan says it'll be very hot Labor Day - and Peggy, you went in Oct. - while I really wanted to go on our actual anniversary, would you guys recommend waiting till Oct. or Nov.? I could plan the trip easily either of those months. (Peggy: how's the air conditioning at VDS?) Thanks again.....

Aug 20th, 2000, 07:44 PM
Peggy

Linda,
Well we enjoy hot weather (we live in the desert!) but if needed the air conditioning at VSD was great. Sometimes it was welcome in the afternoon after being on the beach all day. Our anniversay is Oct. 28th so I always plan a trip somewhere (good excuse!) about that time. I thought the weather was perfect. It was not unbearably hot & the nights perfect for short sleeves & shorts. But that is unpredictable as weather goes....at the same time Hurricane Georges was laying waste to the easternside of the country.
I don't know what they really mean by very hot. I have been to other parts of Mexico mid Sept (PV & Cabo) & thought they were fine. But that's me! I love the South Pacific with no air conditioning! I know you won't be disappointed in VDS. It is definately romanctic & the best service hotel I have stayed at in Mexico. Will compare after this October's trip to The Careyes between PV & Manzanillo on the coast. Supposed to be deluxe with private pools & only 48 suites on a private cove. Can't wait! Sunday night's are interesting to go into Zihua & all the locals gather at the basketball court for selling local foods & talent contests & dancing & just family outings. A day trip (taxi about $10.00) to Ixtapa was also fun. Won't want to stay there (too Americanized) but it was a fun afternoon at Carlos & Charlies for lunch & the beach. Villa de la Selva up on the hillside in Ixtapa at sunset for drinks and/or dinner is fantastic, a bit more expensive but good for that special night out. I'd be happy to help with any other questions. Peggy