PLEASE help a first time family visiting Costa Rica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need help deciding where to go in Costa Rica this Christmas. We are a family of 5, with sons ages 22-16. I have booked 3 nights at Arenal Paraiso, but can't figure out what to do the other 3 nights. Originally I thought we would go to Tamarindo so the boys could surf, but all of the places we would like to stay at require a seven night minimum. I think I would like Manuel Antonio and can get a villa at El Parque for three nights,(most popular places also have at least 5 night minimums) but I'm concerned our sons might not enjoy it as much. Will they be able to surf around the area? I'm not sure if we'll get a car. Are there other places I should investigate? Usually I know exactly what our vacation should look like, but never having been to Costa Rica before I really need help! Where should a first time family like ours go? I have been wanting to visit Costa Rica for years! Thanks for any input.
Jayne
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Those who would like to help will need to know just how important it is for your sons to surf. Manuel Antonio is a definite "yes" for 1st time visitors, but you really have to go south of there (about 1.5 hour) to Dominical to surf. Keep in mind that there are many places to stay near Tamarindo without being right in the town---and you might actually prefer that. If you do have a vehicle, you can stay at any number of places within 30 minutes of the surfing at Playa Tamarindo, Playa Negra, and other nearby beaches. What type of budget are you allowing for hotels? This info will also help others help you!
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Shillmac, I knew I could count on you to respond quickly. Surfing isn't THE reason to go to CR, but one of our sons lived in Australia for awhile and surfed quite a bit. We live in New England and with limited surfing opportunities I thought it would be fun for him while down there. That being said, my reason for visiting is to experience nature and beauty. El Parque will cost $289 per night including breakfast for 5 people. I don't want to spend much more than that. I know Christmas is a very busy time and the hotel costs reflect that, but it is the only time we can all go. Thanks, Jayne
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

I'd also like to add all 5 of us love being on a beach! Thanks again, Jayne
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM

You have four nights to spend at the beach? Are you taking into consideration that you may need to spend the last night near the airport?

You will either need to choose Tamarindo area, Dominical south of Manuel Antonio, or the southern Nicoya Peninsula area of MalPais for surfing. From Arenal it will take you almost 8 hours to drive to Dominical; 4 hours (or a little more) to Tamarindo; 6 or more to Malpais.

Because of time constraints, I think you'll need to settle for the Tamarindo area. So you might continue checking into hotels that will allow you a 3 or 4 night stay. There should be several. Try some of the hotels near Playa Langosta. Good luck! I know you'll have a good time however it works out
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Tamarindo (www.tamarindobeach.net) may be the better choice if only one son knows how to surf and the others are beginners. You also have a lot of day tour options available.

Have you considered the caribbean side (www.greencoast.com)? The drive time from Arenal would be less. The surfing is good, and Aquamor in Manzanillo can keep the boys busy.