Please criticize my itinerary!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d really appreciate any feedback on my 2-week itinerary for our honeymoon in July. This is our first trip to Costa Rica.

d1 Arrive SJO at noon. Explore San Jose. [stay at Hotel Don Carlos]
d2 overnight rafting trip on Pacuare River
d3 second day of rafting, return to San Jose
d4 Pick up rental car in San Jose. Drive to Zarcero/Sarchi/Grecia. [stay at Poas Volcano Lodge]
d5 Visit La Paz Waterfall Gardens and then drive to Arenal (3 hours) [stay at Arenal Paraiso]
d6 Arenal: suspension bridges, other hikes
d7 Arenal: Cano Negro or hiking/riding to La Fortuna waterfall
d8 drive to Monteverde (4 hours) [stay at Monteverde Lodge]
d9 Monteverde: guided walk of reserve/Finca Ecologica night walk
d10 Monteverde: canopy tour, horseback ride to San Luis waterfall
d11 drive to Samara Beach (4 hours) [stay at Villas Kalimba]
d12 Samara: snorkeling/dolphin tour
d13 Samara: visit Carillo Beach
d14 fly back to San Jose [stay at Xandari]
d15 visit a coffee plantation or return to Sarchi for souvenirs?
d16 fly home at 1 p.m.

A few questions:
Is La Paz worth a visit? It sounds rather Disney-esque. Should we skip La Paz and spend more time at Arenal?

I would really like to see hummingbirds. Is there a hummingbird farm in Monteverde, or is La Paz the only place with one?

Will we regret not staying at more luxurious resorts for our honeymoon? Right now, we're allocating more of our budget to activities (though we are splurging for two nights at Xandari.)

Finally, have we allowed for enough down time to relax? Will we be exhausted from all these outdoor activities?

Thanks in advance!

~Lillian
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Dear Lilian:
I was cheking your skedule and it looks very good, although there are some hotels which I donīt know.
I can see on day 3 you will pick a car upon arrival from the 2 days rafting tour and drive toward Zarcero/Sarchi/Grecia. As far as I know, the rafting tour will arrive after lunch, around 3 or 4, that means that youwonīt have enough time for that visit. The trip to Sarchi, will take around 1 hour and from there to Zarcero, around 1 more hour, so why donīt you pick up the car in Guapiles (when coming from the rafting) and drive towards Sarapiqui area, you can stay in Sarapiqui and next day visit La Paz Waterfall Gardens (it is beautiful) 3 or 4 waterfalls plus a butterfly garden and hiking trails, you can continue the trip to Poas and spend the night at Poas Volcano Lodge so that the next day you can visit the volcano and Doka coffee tour before heading to Zarcero and to ARenal Volcano. Of course, I sugges departing early in the morning, around 7:00, so that you can visit the Doka coffee tour and then Poas Volcano and Zarcero (you donīt need to go to Sarchi today). Leave it for day 15.
As per the humingbirds, as far as I know, there is a special point near La Paz Waterfall specially for humingbirds watching. In Monteverde, you can see them at Selvatura, they have a humingbird gallery and also in a gallery shop near Monteverde Reserve. They have a hummingbird feeding.

In Arenal, I highly recommend visiting the Eco Termales hot springs, it is verynear Arenal Paraiso and it is gorgeous for a relaxing time immerse in nature.
As per activities, all of them look very well.
I donīt know the hotel you will stay in Samara. I visited Samara some time ago, and although the beach is beautiful, I dinīt like it very much, however Carrillo beach is really beautiful.

If you need further help, feel free to ask.
Good luck
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Costa Rica. It was our second trip and this time we spent our days all in the Arenal area. We stopped in Zarcero and Sarchi but they both interested us for less than an hour.

You may find hummingbirds quite easy to see. We stayed at Lost Iguana Resort and there were hummingbirds in the flowers next to our patio. We also saw hummingbirds in the flowers at Tabacon Hot Springs. On our last trip we saw hummingbirds outside the balcony of our room in Monteverde and many outside the gift shop in Monteverde.

In decided whether to spend the money to stay in nicer places, I suggest you think about how important physical comfort is to you. I am fifty and it matters to me. The appearance of a place influences my mood. However when I was young and had less money, this didn't matter as much. And after all, you spend very little time in the room.

I too suggest you go to some hot springs in the Arenal area.

krisz
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Cuchi, would you recommend a different beach than Samara? (We decided against Tamarindo because we really wanted a clean, pretty beach.)
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Well, I personally would probably prefer Tamarindo than Samara, and it is nearer too. Maybe you could decide for Carrillo too. What about Manuel Antonio beach...it is more visited, but it is really beautiful and there are many options for lodging, either near the park or going up to the mountain. I jpersonally recommend the Costa Verde Hotel.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Is my estimate of a 4-hour drive from Monteverde to Samara Beach accurate?

Also, do others agree with cuchi that I should save Sarchi for day 15 and instead go on a coffee tour and see the Poas Volcano? Is the Poas Volcano redundant if I'm going to Arenal?

Thanks!

~Lillian
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 03:37 PM

No, Arenal and Poas are vastly different. The crater at Poas is really something to see and the hiking through secondary forest good. The fireworks and lava flow at Arenal is a bird of a different feather! Both unique and fascinating!

I think you itinerary is excellent. And I also think Cuchi has given you some excellent suggestions. He and I agree regarding Samara--my husband and I prefer Tamarindo and its surrounding area. That said, I still wouldn't have a problem spending a few days at Samara. We pretty much enjoy all parts of the country! And as noted, Playa Carillo very beautiful.

The thing about Tamarindo is that there are some really nice beaches within a 30 minute drive from the town. We especially love Flamingo Beach (one of the prettiest in the country, in my opinion). Although it isn't fancy, the Flamingo Beach Resort is certainly comfortable and one of our favorite hotels in Costa Rica. It has a nice pool, nice swim up bar, and one of the best massage therapists I've ever come across--$40 per hour! We love walking out the back, across the little road and onto the beach to view those phenomenal sunsets! We enjoy eating at Marie's, driving to Potrero to the little bakery, driving 5 minutes to Brasilito, eating at Camaron Dorado (great restaurant on the beach with wonderful service!), visiting Playa Conchal (also a gorgeous beach), hanging out in Tamarindo.

To top that off, there are several beaches near Tamarindo that we've not been to yet and I hear they are pretty cool--Playas Avellenas, Grande, Negra, to name a few. This is a fantastic area to explore and have something to do with your days! Or nothing at all if you so choose! Definitely worth thinking about!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM

We loved Villas Kalimba and Playa Samara is a clean pretty beach. I have not been to Tamarindo, but it sounds like it is much larger and more touristy. For Samara, think small town. Carillo even smaller. The beach is a short drive from Samara and even less people. I understand it is a popular weekend destination for Ticos. We were there Monday-Thursday.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM

I forgot to mention that we also stayed at Xandari. The staff and facilities are very impressive. Nice way to wind up a great vacation!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

These replies have been hugely helpful! After doing some more digging through these boards, I've decided to stick with Playa Samara. I'd really like a beach where I can play in the water and do a bit of snorkeling. Since I can't swim very well, it sounds like Samara, with its gentle waves, is ideal. Also, jeffa11, it sounds like everyone who's stayed at Villas Kalimba has loved it!

Thanks to shillmac and cuchi, we've decided definitely to add a day for visiting the Poas volcano crater and La Paz waterfall gardens.

I can't wait!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Good choices--you'll have a fabulous time! Enjoy every minute. . .