Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Playa - Non AI question (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/playa-non-ai-question-616838/)

jd_denver May 19th, 2006 09:33 AM

Playa - Non AI question

Is this possible? Any suggestions?

We have narrowed down our search for our vacation in late Nov/early Dec.

This is what we want:

*Walking distance/short cab ride into Playa Del Carmen for dining and shopping
*Non All-Inclusive
*Beach Front Accommodations w/nice pool
*Access to beach, snorkeling, water sports

All the websites I've been searching have pricing for AI or boutique hotels on the main street in Playa (Ave 5?) Not opposed to the boutique hotels, but we are not a huge nightlife/party couple (late 30s). We want to be able to do the beach thing during the day, maybe some shopping, and drink some wine/beer and try different restaurants in the evening.

Price range? $150-$250 per night

Thanks!

pepper131 May 19th, 2006 11:14 AM

Can you get Las Palapas or Shangi-La w/o the meal plan? I think one of them offers a breakfast only plan.

If not, there's a place north of PDC in Xcalacocco/Punta Bete near Ikal del Mar called Kai Kaana - they are currently listed on the home page of locogringo.com. It's very quiet there and about a $10 cab ride into PDC.

zootsi May 19th, 2006 12:36 PM

There are many small hotels along the beach right in downtown Playa that will meet your needs. Lounge on the beach all day, walk 1/2 block to 5th ave for an unlimited selection of restaurants, shopping, etc - no need for a cab. However these are small hotels, and some don't have pools. Check out the Playa Maya, and the Alhambra. As for snorkelling, there are places up and down the beach that do snorkelling trips out to the reef.

colokid May 19th, 2006 02:35 PM

Playa Maya has a smaller pool if you are really pool people but the beach view rooms are clean and very nice. Definitely below your budget money wise and right on the beach. Blue Parrot also looks nice but I have not stayed there. There are many, many nice hotels in PDC. Also, look to the north end of town for nice beaches. If you aren't committed to beachfront there are many small hotels that will take great care of you in PDC. Also, lots of condos available too! If you go condo check out vrbo.com to look around. Check out www.playa.info for trip planning ideas.

Little_Man May 19th, 2006 04:41 PM

I think, too, there's a new beachfront hotel called Mosquito Beach that looks pretty nice. Do a search for it on tripadvisor/playa del carmen.
Also, the last time I was in Playa, 2 years ago now, I looked at the Royal Palms condos...they looked beautiful.

jd_denver May 19th, 2006 06:03 PM

Thanks everyone. That gives me some hope and some new web sites to search. I was just looking at trying to get a package and getting discouraged because the pkgs tend to be AI. But I think we find what we are looking for!

Mosquito Beach looks pretty promising.

Thanks Pepper - I think both your suggestions are not AI and look great.

One strange question. Do the thatched roofs = bugs in your room?

Any more suggestions!

pepper131 May 19th, 2006 06:38 PM

Thatch roofs can mean bugs in your room...but these places are clean - so bugs shouldn't be a problem. I've seen more lizards and a couple of crabs in our thatched roof rooms than any bug. It also makes a difference if your room is more in the trees/jungle (more likely bugs) or right on the beach in the sand (less likely bugs).

colokid May 19th, 2006 07:19 PM

frankie,
I agree about Royal Palms. Natz Ti Ha is nice too and the pool is great. jd - I noticed you are from Denver as am I. There's a couple who rent out their condo at Natz Ti Ha from Greenwood Village. We rented from them last year without knowing they were from here and I felt better about giving them a deposit. Turquoise Reef Group is also around here (I think they're in Evergreen) and they rent out places also as a property managment company. I believe they also handle Shangri La.

MFNYC May 20th, 2006 12:45 PM

With similar criteria, we picked the Xaman Ha condos. It's on the beach, all condos face have ocoean views, their a pool and it's a 5 minute walk to 5th Av. It's very close to the ferry pier. We will be going in December so I can't give you any first hand info.

I booked mine through Travel360 (www.travel36.com). They specialize in Mexico and have been very helpful.

MFNYC May 20th, 2006 12:46 PM

That's travel360.com, not travel36.

gdy May 22nd, 2006 08:20 AM

You can get Hotel Las Palapas with only the breakfast plan. And they have a nice pool in front of the best beach around. I have photos that I can share. Just click on the link next to my Author.

jd_denver May 23rd, 2006 07:33 AM

I contacted Shangri-La about getting breakfast only, but they said "no" based on the dates we will be there. Maybe they only do this in the high season. I saw Hotel Las Palapas breakfast only plan and that looks like a good plan.

Hotel Las Palapas and Shangri-La appear to be what we are looking for. I'll continue to research these and others. The planning is half the fun.

Any booking recommendations? It seems like waiting to book about 2-3 months out is best.