Playa Del Coco Recommendations & Costa Rica Help

Nov 3rd, 2019, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Playa Del Coco Recommendations & Costa Rica Help

Hey everyone,

I'm headed to Playa Del Coco with a group of 18 in February and I am starting to look at what to do. Are there any general recommendations?

When it comes to transportation, I was looking at getting a car but I keep hearing it's very expensive. Are there private drivers that I can contact now to schedule with that are cheaper or is it still best to get a car or just find taxis?

We'd love to find some good hikes, see some different animals and get to the jungle area also, any thoughts here? I was told we should go spend a night in La Fortuna, it sounds like it's about a 5 hour drive so I'm not sure if that's worth the time but I heard that area is pretty amazing.

Also, deep sea fishing sounds fun and trying out surfing. If there are any companies you recommend or places to go for activities like this any insights are great.

Thanks for any help!

- Matt
Nov 4th, 2019, 10:16 AM

When we've rented a car, it's been about $60 per day. We've also used private drivers by booking them through our hotels when we reserve them. Private drivers usually just drive you from city to city. They can be expensive, but they charge one rate for the whole van. There's also an Interbus shuttle; you can check out their website to see if they go to the area you're interested in. They would charge per person. We go to Manuel Antonio for beach time, so can't help with Playa del Coco specifically.
Nov 5th, 2019, 12:47 PM

La Fortuna is great, but I would spend at least 2 nights there if you go. With just 1 night, you'll end up with half a day and part of another day at best - not enough time to really see much. The area is amazing, but it's not the kind of amazing like the Grand Canyon or something where you can drive there, look around, be amazed, and move on - you need to spend a little time seeing things - do a couple hikes, check out Mistico Hanging Bridges, see the waterfall, enjoy the hot springs...

$60/day for a car sounds about right. Last year, we paid $67/day for a mid-sized 4WD SUV with full insurance, cell phone with unlimited data for navigation and local calls, and an ice chest.
Nov 5th, 2019, 02:26 PM

I agree with november; we love the La Fortuna area, but we usually spend four nights when we go. I'd spend at least three. Great hiking at the Arenal Observatory Lodge; if you stay there, they have a free guided hike every morning. Lots of trails and wildlife on site - beautiful birds like toucans, lots of coatis, some monkeys. Also like the Mistico Hanging Bridges and waterfall hike mentioned above. The Cano Negro boat tour is great for seeing wildlife; the Penas Blancas safari float is fun. We love the Bogarin Trail owned by a local family who act as the guides - excellent place to see sloths, poison dart frogs, red-eyed tree frogs, and some nice birds. For natural hot springs we like Tabacon and Eco Termales. You can visit those in the evening to leave your days open for other activities. Desafio is a good company for tours if you need one. La Fortuna/Arenal doesn't really work as a day trip; spend some time there.
Nov 8th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! november_moon Great information! I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the drive from Playa Del Coco since I've read it's anywhere from 2.5 to 5 hours to get there. Are you aware of anywhere near Playa Del Coco that would be similar to La Fortuna? volcanogirl

We already have a placed booked for the week in Playa Del Coco so we've got to decide if we want to pay for another place for a couple of days when we already have one. That's why I was thinking 1 night might be good and just try to get 2 full days out of it. Thanks!
Nov 9th, 2019, 07:47 PM

Hi MaLloyd - I’m in Coco right now. From Coco to see Volcano’s you can go the National Park at Rincon de la Vieja, mud pots, hot springs, zip lining, hiking , waterfalls. It’s not La Fortuna but it’s got a lot to offer and much easier to get to. As for fishing, Coco is a fishing town, no worries there, you will have lot’s of opportunities. I would get a car, did you say 18 people! May need a van. Where are you staying in Coco? It’s a pretty lively little town. I’m assuming you’re coming into Liberia?