Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   playa del carmen to isla mujeres (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/playa-del-carmen-to-isla-mujeres-188321/)

Jen Jan 22nd, 2003 10:31 AM

playa del carmen to isla mujeres

What's the fastest route to Isla Mujeres from the Royal Hideaway in Playa del Carmen? We're looking to do a half day trip to Isla because we've heard it's not to miss, but don't want to take a 40$ taxi into Cancun to get there. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jen Jan 23rd, 2003 10:05 AM

ttt

Jean Jan 23rd, 2003 01:35 PM

I would guess there is a bus from Playa Del Carmen to downtown Cancun. From there you can take a city bus or a cab or Puerto Juarez where the ferry runs from Cancun to Isla Mujeres.<BR><BR>I would think it would take you at least 90 minutes to get to Isla Mujeres. It's certainly an easy day trip, but unless you just get there and turn around, it's going to take longer than half a day.

jen Jan 24th, 2003 05:39 AM

Thanks Jean, I guess I was hoping that we could avoid going in to Cancun for the trip. I can always wait until we get there to see if there is a boat from Playa directly to Isla. Going in March, not too far away!

Ally Jan 24th, 2003 05:58 AM

There are no boats from Playa to Isla. It's an hour drive or more to Cancun...then the ferry to Isla...a boat from Playa would take WAY too long, so they just don't offer that service.<BR>Don't get me wrong, you may be able to hire a private boat/captain to take you to Isla from Playa, but it would take even longer than going by land.

Marj Jan 24th, 2003 07:38 AM

A much easier trip is taking the ferry from the town of PDC to Cozumel. Once on Cozumel you can rent a car for the day and drive all over the island and explore then beaches along the way.

Owen O'Neill Jan 24th, 2003 03:28 PM

Riviera Bus goes from PDC to cancun every ten minutes for $3.20 one way - RT may be cheaper. Can't speak to the ferry to IM but a trip to Coz is a good idea. If renting a cart beware of the $25 Internet special VW bugs - ours was so bad we took it back and got a Sentra w/AC. Felt much safer and was easier to drive. Got a rate of $55 for one day. Great scenery on back side of island. If you stop at Playa Bonita just have drinks - the food was horrible and overpriced. Hear that Coco's (Coconut's?) is better and it's a bit further up the coast on a beautiful cliff. The central plaza area of Coz and the main street have loads of tourist oriented shops but once out of that small area it's a wonderful place.

Jen Jan 25th, 2003 05:45 AM

Owen - Do you mean the VW bug was a car or golf cart? The only reason we wanted to go to Isla was to tool around in a golf cart all day long, we're weird, we like to do that kind of thing. Does Cozumel have golf cart rentals? If so, then we'll go there instead, since it's so much closer to PDC. I tried searching for golf cart rentals on Cozumel but didn't come up with anything. Do you know? Thanks!