Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Playa Del Carmen safety (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/playa-del-carmen-safety-935412/)

rcbkedge May 16th, 2012 11:11 AM

Playa Del Carmen safety

Thinking about taking our first trip to Mexico in December and with all the news reports of the wars, etc going on in Mexico, should we be concerned going there? Travel agent said no, but has anyone been there lately and had any issues with security or felt unsafe? I know that all of that is going on in or near Mexico City, which is no where near Playa Del Carmen, Cancun, Rivieria Maya, but you should always be weary of what goes on I think. Please help!

MFNYC May 16th, 2012 11:50 AM

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but from my experience, PDC is very safe. If your hotel is in the playacar area, it's very secure (gated entry).

suze May 16th, 2012 02:02 PM

You need to check a map, because like you said problems (which are political and have to do with drug cartels, not tourists and visitors) are nowhere near Playa del Carmen. Isn't now, never has been.

No I have not been there recently myself but I keep up with the situation. To date none of the popular tourist resort areas in Mexico have been negatively affected (not Puerto Vallarta, not Cabo San Lucas, not Cancun, etc. etc.).

schmerl May 16th, 2012 04:37 PM

Those acitivities are no where near Playa del Carmen.
It's like saying there is violence in New York so you better not go to Florida because they are both in the same country.
Just use the same common safetly sense you would anywhere else and you will be fine. It's a wonderfual area.

MicheleinPlaya May 17th, 2012 03:48 AM

I have lived in Playa del Carmen for 8 years with my husband and twp children and I can assure you Cancun, Playa del Carmen and all the Riviera Maya are all very safe places to live and vacation. As a matter of fact,my 8 year old son just travelled by himself to Mexico City to spend two weeks with friends and had the time of his life! The Mexico City we saw in "Man on Fire" is quite different today!

The violent outbursts that you hear about are taking place thousands of miles away in the border areas and some interior states. Acapulco has also been affected. It is generally clashes between rival drug suppliers and the police/military who are trying to curtail their efforts.

Is the Riviera Maya crime free? Of course not. We have our share of petty crime, thefts of cameras, cell phones, bicycles etc. It has not affected me personally, but I know it goes on as it does everywhere.

I think you will have a wonderful time in this region! Book the trip!

emd3 May 17th, 2012 04:56 AM

Michelle is legit adn correct. Her husband sold us our condo in Playa del Carmen last year. Rest assured that Playa takes safety very ceriously. You will see lots of police on the streets (esp. 5rh ave., the pedestrian st. w/bars, restaurants, shopping). Police patrol to keep down the petty theft and such crimes. They are visible and it is comforting. There are also two police check points on the highway btwn Cancun and Playa. They randomly stop cars.

I've been to Playa 8 times in the last yr. We invested in a condo there. We've had no problems and have never felt unsafe. Take care like you do in any city and while traveling to other places.

Elainee May 17th, 2012 06:16 PM

We liked our March trip so much we now have reservations, plane tickets for our whole family for Christmas. That is 9 adults, 5 children. It must have been good and safe if we are doing this. We had a great time.

GEsssa May 20th, 2012 06:14 PM

Go to Mexico, especially Mexico City, regularly. My daughter lives and works there with her husband. We drive outside of her very nice neighborhood, sometimes into unsafe ones where we keep our windows up. So far so good. I recently had to go to the emergency room there for a food allergy attack. The hospital (ABC) in the area called Santa Fe was cleaner and newer than anything I have seen in New York City where I live. Just take the usual precautions and you should be fine.

cferrb May 20th, 2012 06:43 PM

Here is a link to the latest warnings from the State Department. I am counting on them to be reliable as I am going to Mexico City in June with four teenagers.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...w/tw_5665.html

Ozarksbill Jul 7th, 2012 11:16 AM

Looks like you have your answer about safety for Playa del Carmen area. Just the normal tourist caution I would add, especially in airports. In our family gathering several years ago we certainly had no problems. We rented a week at Villa Mimac with rooms and living space for all. Though warm seeing Chichen Itza was awesome. Various members enjoyed zip line, bird sanctuary, catamaran cruise, swimming at Reef Club, strolling/eating in Playa.
Bill in Boston

RicoWasabi Aug 6th, 2012 05:52 AM

I've lived down here for years. I'm as safe as anywhere in the U.S. It might surprise you to know that even though there is all of this bad press on Mexico that UN Crimes Stats show Mexico waaaaay ahead of the U.S. when it comes to crime per capita.

And while you are here, don't forget to go fishing! http://www.wasabiloco.com !

WendyPGreene Aug 11th, 2012 07:03 PM

Go! I have been 10 times in the past 3 years and have been safe. I love Mexico and will keep going back.

antonioro Sep 2nd, 2012 10:29 AM

I have a vacational house at Playa and being there four times, never had any problem. This is still considered an small town with a lot of tourist.

Beach and the 5th Avenue are always in very good condition and mexican police is around veryfing that everything is ok.

Playa del Carmen is one of the best places to visit or stay for a longer time.