Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Playa Del Carmen or Zihuatanejo for honeymoon (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/playa-del-carmen-or-zihuatanejo-for-honeymoon-64386/)

Heather Mar 4th, 2000 11:31 AM

Playa Del Carmen or Zihuatanejo for honeymoon

We are looking into these two areas for our July honeymoon. We are interested in the Villa Del Sol in Zih. or the Royal Hideaway in Playa. Has anyone stayed in either or both, and which would you recommend and why? We are in our late twenties, and hope to not be surrounded by children on our honeymoon. Help!

Paciano Diaz Mar 4th, 2000 04:07 PM

Hello Heather! <BR>We were in Zihuatanejo for New Year's 99. Very untouristy but very delightful. Although we did not stay at Villa Del Sol, we did have dinner there. Very, very romatic dining under moonlight. I have also heard La Casa Que Canta is a great place to stay. By the way,Villa is rated 5 star and was recently included in a best hotels list in the world to stay at. We honeymoon for a month in the mediterranean for a month, combination 2 week cruise 2 weeks in Italy. We spent good money but we are still talking about our honeymoon.Make it memorable.

Kathy Mar 30th, 2000 05:30 AM

Hands down - go to the Westin in Ixtapa. the absolute best vacation every. Classy place with wonderful service. Flowers on the bed when they do the rooms twice a day.

merriem Apr 2nd, 2000 05:20 AM

We were at the Royal Hideaway and would highly recommend it. Check my other posts on this board.

Bernadette Apr 6th, 2000 11:20 AM

Heather, <BR> <BR>I've been to both Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Playa del Carmen. My vote goes for Playa del Carmen. The beaches and water are better, the people are great, and there are many more things to do in the area. If you check out the other posts about the area, you can see just how much there is to do. And if you want to just relax on the beach, then it's still the better place to go. <BR>

Susan Apr 6th, 2000 03:16 PM

Wow, tough choice. Both are great areas. Here's some observations I've made about these areas. <BR> <BR>I think I find Zihuatanejo maybe more romantic (although I'm not sure why I would say that!). The beaches in Zihuatanejo are better for swimming - water is calmer (this isn't the case in Ixtapa - waves are huge and no one seems to swim in the ocean there). I always find Playa del Carmen quite breezy, although I've been there probably 4 times in the last few years so obviously that doesn't stop me from going there. Playa seems to attract a lot of Europeans - we were there for a few days in March and the town seemed to be filled with Italians. So there was more toplessness on the beach, that kind of thing. Lots of Italian restaurants. Zihuatanejo seems to attract more Americans and Canadians from the west. Also seemed like an older crowd in Zihuatanejo. I liked having massages on the beach in Zihuatanejo - I did that 3 times in 2 weeks - but I only saw 1 guy 1 day in Playa doing massage on the beach. I found prices had gone up considerably in Playa the last couple of years - I guess because it's incredibly popular. <BR> <BR>You've probably already thought about this, but I would be concerned about the heat in both areas in July. I have never been anywhere where the weather was as perfect as it was in Zihuatanejo - we had 2 weeks of perfectly cloudless weather (that was Feb 1999), but I think July would be hot hot hot. I've never seen cloudless weather in Playa del Carmen - weather's good, but the sky has never been 100% blue. <BR> <BR>It's true that there is more to do in Playa - ruins to explore, snorkeling, etc. I guess it depends on how busy you want to be. <BR> <BR>Reading back over my answer, I probably haven't helped you at all. I like both areas!

heather Apr 9th, 2000 03:10 PM

Thank you for all your input! We have decided to go to Zihua and Ixtapa, four nihgts at Villa Del Sol and three at the Westin. Thank you!

Patrizia Apr 10th, 2000 07:29 AM

Please, don't go to Ixtapa! If you trust italian good taste believe me and stay only at Zihuatanejo...

Carole Apr 10th, 2000 11:17 AM

Heather, <BR>Go further south of Playa del Carmen to the Tankah/Tulum area. Some of the most beautiful beaches anywhere. Very secluded, Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve, cenotes and archeological sites. email me if anyone needs more info about the area.