COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Playa del Carmen or Cozumel?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 08:34 AM
Lory

Playa del Carmen or Cozumel?

Playa del Carmen or Cozumel? I'm escaping from my husband with two girlfriends for a week in March and we're hearing conflicting reports about which has the better beaches, shopping, snorkeling and hotels. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. thanks! Lory

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Ally

As for shopping and hotels, both offer many good choices.
Snorkling is better in Cozumel, as you can generally snorkel right off the beach at many hotels, due to reef/rocks, but beaches are better in Playa, as they are long and sandy..but therefore not great snorkling. I really think you girls will have a blast in either destination. Also keep in mind you can take a ferry from one to the other for day trips. Takes about 45 minutes. That way you can visit both areas!

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Susan

We usually go away for 2 weeks, but in March 2000, we had only a week in that area. We like both places, so divided our time up - 4 nights on Cozumel and 3 nights in Playa del Carmen. (It was carnival on Cozumel, so especially fun to be there.) We stayed in small local hotels, and had booked them on our own. We flew into Cozumel, had our 4 nights, then took the ferry to the mainland. At the end of the stay, we took the ferry back to the island and flew home.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:16 PM
kbs

I prefer Cozumel because it is more laid-back. There are some great beaches, but the snorkeling is excellent from shore where there aren't real beaches. Some of the hotels have built up areas and filled them with sand, then you enter the water via a ladder.
Rent a car one day and drive around the island: you can't get lost.... it's just an island (much easier driving there than the mainland!).
Take the ferry to the mainland for a day trip to Playa del Carmen (shopping on 5th Ave and/or a visit to Tulum & the ruins).

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Brenda Lee Johnson

You really can't go wrong with either, and I agree with the replies that you can split up your time or take day trips. The dining choices in Playa Del Carmen are much more widespread, and the town itself I believe is bigger and has more to offer than Cozumel, but if you go to Cozumel, don't miss Joe's Lobster House, which is a great mix of reggae and cocktails with the locals.

I've been to Playa twice, and Cozumel once. Let me know if you have more questions. Enjoy!

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Keith

Hi,
Have been to Cozumel 2 times and really liked it,tho we stay at a non AI and do lots of exploring for food. Also we found there is a lot more to see there thatn at first sight as the ruins there(hardly publicized ,while are not huge ,have wonderful staff who really explain the Myan culture. Also we found the natives very pleasant and helpful,tho I do speak a bit of Spanish which always makes a difference. Playa is really getting built up and in both places you will have to plan downtown trips around the cruise ships to enjoy yourself. Trreat the natives like humans and you will enjoy either.
K