Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Playa del Carmen or Cancun Club Med (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/playa-del-carmen-or-cancun-club-med-424302/)

Spindle Apr 20th, 2004 08:16 AM

Playa del Carmen or Cancun Club Med

Three of us (one couple and a single) are trying to decide between a house swap in Playa del Carmen or Cancun Club Med or similar. We want good weather and nice beach. I like the idea of everything included at Club Med, but am worried about no opportunity for golf nearby? or fishing? Also, what the age range might be. We are in our late 40's, early 50's - don't want to be surrounded by mostly 20 somethings. Is the weather better in Playa or Cancun? Want to take some side trips outside of the resort if we go to Cancun. Does anyone prefer another all-inclusive besides Club Med. I've been to a few other locations and pretty much always liked them, but accommodations and food have to be a plus. Playa del Carmen house looks nice but then we are on our own, all three of us trying to decide what to do when, etc.

Thanks.
Irene

JeanH Apr 20th, 2004 09:37 AM

I think you would be happier in Playa del Carmen. Cancun is very, very Americanized with the beach being a series of high rise resorts. The water is beautiful, as is the beach, but I find there to way too much concrete and glitz. Obviously, some people like that sort of place. It's very popular.

Playa del Carmen is only about 45 minutes south, so the weather is essentially the same. If you really want an all-inclusive, there are lots ot choose from in and around Playa. But, there are also literally dozens of charming small hotel/condotels in Playa del Carmen as well. Some are right on the beach, others a few blocks away, with privilages at one of the area beach clubs. There are also beach bars right in town, where you can plant yourself for the cost of a drink.

I like the town of Playa del Carmen. Many, many good restaurants and fun bars. Nice shopping. Although it's pretty developed and touristy, it's still has a Mexican feel and there are no high rise hotels.

Personally, I don't care for all-inclusives, don't care for buffets or tap beer. My favorite part of vacations if hunting down the smaller, off the beaten path restaurants. And there are many in Playa del Carmen.

There is golf in Playacar, a gated area immediately south of the town of Playa del Carmen. Lots of all-inclusives there too. I'd look into some of those, you would be close to town if you want to venture away from the resort, but still have the advantages of a large resort, if that's what you want.

Jean

RobertSDF Apr 20th, 2004 12:41 PM

Great advice from Jean! I no longer care for Cancun and also avoid the all inclusives. Playa gives you a great chance to sample many excellent restaurants and the varied nightlife it has to offer.

SmilingMary Apr 21st, 2004 10:31 AM

At 50 years of age I spent a week at Club Med Cancun a year and a half ago on a solo trip. Didn't think I'd like an all-inclusive but really got into it after a couple of days. All sorts of folks; I met some great people.I tend to be very shy about joining in, and I didn't feel pushed to participate in any activity but was enthusiastically welcomed when I did. The tour guides to Coba and Tulum were unbelievably good. Got spoiled by the premium liquors /beer/refrescos at the bars (many all-inclusives often offer one beer only and it is on tap.)There is golf close but not walking distance between the resort and Cancun. I would go back again.
Did like the town of Playa del Carmen better but it's still very touristy.

Marty06807 Jan 4th, 2005 11:15 AM

Thanks so much, SmilingMary, for the information you posted about Club Med Cancun. I'm 58, recently divorced, want to spend an easy week in the sun, and (gulp!) booked a single trip to Cancun for the end of the month. I was concerned that I would feel like I was dropped into a college town (despite the travel agent's assurances to the contrary), and feel reassured by your experience.

Little_Man Jan 4th, 2005 11:26 AM

I'm always the one (usually the only one!) defending Cancun! I liked Playa del Carmen, but I didn't find it an overly friendly town, and just as Cancun feels too Americanized to some, I thought Playa isn't necessarily bad, but it wasn't to me the friendliest of places.

Also, we never had a great meal in Playa, but did have in Cancun...

The weather in Cancun feels just slightly cooler in the summer.

Little_Man Jan 4th, 2005 11:29 AM

oops, typo, meant to say Playa seems a bit too Europeanized (is that a word?), which isn't bad, but it is Mexico !!!

pkgronda1 Jan 5th, 2005 10:05 PM

try thr rivera maya, lots of golf courses and older group of people, couple have really nice golf courses also fishing near by too