Playa del Carmen...hotels on the beach?

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 10:32 AM
jody

Playa del Carmen...hotels on the beach?

I am looking for a quaint, smaller hotel on the beach at Playa del Carmen. I'm not into the big all-inclusive resort type but rather would like somewhere smaller with charm. Any recommendations? Thank you.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 05:06 PM
Rodrigo

Jody:

There is a little and very nice hotel near the beach with a beacon as a part of the hotel. It has a little swimming pool and cabins. The beacon is unique at Playa del Carmen, therefore is very easy to locate it. I do not remember the name. Sorry.
On your next trip try to visit CHILE. You will be surprised

Old Mar 10th, 1999, 09:40 AM
Doug

Try xaac.com/playacar and mayanriviera.com they both have a ver good hotel listing for Playa.

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 07:43 AM
isabelle

you should try :http://www.mundacatravel.com/

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 11:30 AM
Jody

I appreciate the reference to different web sites but is there anyone who has actually stayed at and recommends a place on the beach? Thanks again for your help - Jody

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 07:25 PM
f azbell

Just returned from Playa.We stayed at the Porto Real.It was right on the beach and although it was'nt small it was wonderful!Great beach that was at the end of town.We did not go with the all-inclusive option and were glad,there are so many great places to eat and spend time plus resort food everywhere looked a little boring.

Old Mar 16th, 1999, 11:59 AM
deb

We stayed at the Pelican Inn in Playa last year. Its right in the middle of the beach, a block from downtown, full buffet breakfast included in your hotel price. Last year we were there the end of March when it was starting to get pretty hot, they have no airconditioning, so the 2nd floor was a must for a breeze. If you went earlier it wouldn't matter that much. They have a web site on the internet for more info.

Old Mar 17th, 1999, 06:28 AM
Carolyn

Jody:

The hotel with the "beacon" that was refered to in an earlier reply is El Faro (which means lighthouse and the "beacon" is, in fact, a real lighthouse. I stayed at El Faro a few weeks ago and it's a lovely, lovely hotel. For all the beachfront hotels right in town (vs. the resorts on either end of town), El Faro is, I'm sure, the nicest. It's probably the most expensive too. The room we had for 2 nights that opened up onto the beach was $205/night. A room that opened up onto their lovely garden was $185. If money's not a problem I would definitely stay there. The other beachfront hotels like Costa Del Mar and Blue Parrot are probably a bit less expensive but I saw rooms in both of those places and they weren't that nice. The appeal of those places is simply being on the beach. On the other hand if you want to stay for cheap and don't mind being a half block off the beach I recommend Villa Caterina. Also a lovely place with very cheap rooms. Even though I wouldn't stay at the Blue Parrot, make sure to check out their bar. It's one of the "happening" spots.

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 05:28 AM
Silvia

I would recommend the ROSA MIRADOR, it's nearby the Blue Parrot. It's clean and very cheap...and the owners are so kind!
Mexico is great...Have a nice journey!!!

Old Mar 20th, 1999, 09:11 PM
dana

Jody -- I just posted a message about our trip to the Yucatan. We stayed in Pelicano Inn, had an ocean view room at $95 a night, which included breakfast (brekafast is a very full meal, lots of fruit, eggs, french toast, etc cooked to order). It is a very clean, small (38 rooms) hotel. The rooms are big, kind of stark, but very clean. In fact, the hotel was just recently remodeled. All rooms have a balcony with hammock, which is quite nice. The ocean view, at $10 more per night than the garden view, is definitely worth it. The US booking agent is Turquoise Reef, web site is www.turqreef.com

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Jody

what about the Blue Parrot??? Anyone stayed there? Comments?

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Brian in Atlanta

My wife and I stayed at the Albatros Royale a couple years ago. It sounds just like what you're looking for (thached roofs, tile floors, ceiling fans, balconies with hammocks). One warning, it has no a/c so if you go in summer, be prepared to sweat. It's close to the center of town so everything's within walking distance (it's a bit closer to town than the Blue Parrot.) Check out http://www.caribbeancoast.com/hotels/albatrosroyale/