Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Playa Del Carmen best places to stay on the beach AND seaweed concern

Jul 28th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

My friend and I are planning a stay at an all inclusive in Playa Del Carmen area for December 2019. Any AI place suggestions?
AND most importantly has anyone recently been to PDC? Just saw where the "sargassum seaweed" is washing ashore daily along that area and Yucatan. Really sad situation.
We really like PDC area but if anyone has any other Mexico/Caribbean suggestions...would appreciate it.
Thank you
Jul 29th, 2019, 05:27 AM

It would help to know what you look for in a resort. Do you need a lot of night life, activities during the day, adults only, etc. ?
The sargasssum changes from day to day and a lot of the resorts do a great job cleaning up the beach. It's impossible to know now what the situation will be in December.
Isla Mujeres hasn't been affected by the sargassum but it is much quieter than Playa.
Jul 29th, 2019, 06:30 AM

I can't suggest any all-inclusives, but I can suggest areas with good beach -- that's Playacar, south of the Playa-Cozumel ferry pier. Another good beach is from the other pier (at Av. Constituyentes) stretching north to Calle 38 (38th Street) -- this beach is now protected by a floating barrier. It doesn't offer 100% protection from sargassum, but it has been looking better since the barrier was put in place.

I see the beach at Calle 38 every day. Sargassum does NOT wash ashore daily.

In previous years, sargassum has been worse from late February to about October when it begins to abate.

From November to late February, there has been little to none in previous years. It still washes ashore every few weeks, but in smaller amounts. Typically, it's a strip of sargassum no wider than a couple of metres, and not a thick layer -- this is easily raked up. Last year, the worst period was the last week of December -- a lot washed ashore and it stayed for about 1 week. After that, the beach was spotless.

If you want to be sure to avoid sargassum, many people say the beaches that don't face east on Cozumel (and maybe Isla Mujeres) are not affected as much.

Last edited by MisterB2; Jul 29th, 2019 at 06:33 AM.
Jul 29th, 2019, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!

Appreciate the great information!. Don't need the party crowd atmosphere...though have been known to get in a conga line before, lol.
We like to snorkel, swim, be lazy, maybe some shopping / go on an excursion or two. Just relax and get away from work!.

thanks again.
Aug 1st, 2019, 08:50 AM

Seaweed From Tulum to Cancun

We stayed at a five star resort Moon Palace. All the beaches had 3 feet mounds of stinking seaweed. I was told by a guide that all of Cancun is affected by this. June 2019 is the worst seaweed it has ever been. Snorkeling was a disaster at a nearby National Park. So if you are expecting white sand beaches and coral reefs you will be disappointed.
Aug 2nd, 2019, 04:22 AM

This past couple weeks the beaches have been much better, but there is no guarantee the sargassum won't come back.
Aug 2nd, 2019, 03:49 PM

Negril Jamaica is my go-to for the Caribbean.

Mexico/Pacific side doesn't have the seaweed problem (Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta).
Aug 2nd, 2019, 04:09 PM

MrB2, do you live around Calle 38? We own at Terrazas condos on 38, just past Cueva del Chango on way to the beach.