Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   playa del carmen (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/playa-del-carmen-214877/)

margie Dec 12th, 2001 01:00 PM

playa del carmen

Hi, hubby and I are planning a trip to playa del carmen in March. Can you recommend a resort. We have been thinking about the Allegro or Riu ! We want all inclusive? Please respond with your suggestions on a nice resort with good food and entertainment. By the way, is it safe to go off the resort ?

George Dec 12th, 2001 06:01 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Aventura Palace for our anniversary and this was a very nice all inclusive resort, they had great food, service, and lots of other resorts to visit. You can use all of the Palace resorts for free, we liked the Xpu-Ha Palace which was close by this was a very nice resort with a great beach.<BR><BR>Look into staying here it is a nice all inclusive resort.<BR><BR>www.palaceresortsmexico.com<BR>

Carrie Dec 13th, 2001 11:01 AM

Hi Margie, My boyfriend and I are going to Playa Del Carmen in March as well. We are going to stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach Resort. My travel agent has stayed there and she says it is wonderful. Huge pool and good food!It's pretty new (opened winter 2000) I believe. You can check out their website - iberostar.com

Christie Dec 13th, 2001 05:52 PM

We were at the Riu Playacar last month and we really liked it. The rooms were good, the food was very good, and the resort was pretty. Our only complaint was that the bar didn't serve premium liquor, but that was minor.<BR><BR>We considered the Allegro, but we decided against it because of some reviews I had seen on the Net saying that the food was bad. A couple on our van to and from the airport stayed there, and on the way back, they said the food was lousy.

Christie Dec 13th, 2001 05:54 PM

Oh, it is VERY safe to go ff the resort! (Nothing like Jamaica!) The area where the resorts are is great for strolling in the evening, and there is even a little mini-mall for some shopping. We also went into downtown PDC for some shopping, which was excellent. (It takes 10 minutes via taxi and is $5 US.)The internet cafes there are SO much cheaper than the ones in the hotels, too!

Marge Dec 14th, 2001 03:58 PM

considering the riu playacar or allegro. what do you think,

christa Dec 15th, 2001 03:03 PM

We stayed at the RIU Playacar in Oct. The service was awsome, the resort beautiful. The Allergo has timeshare hounds waiting for passers by, this makes me question the quality of the place. They don't seem to mind their staff pestering tourists.There are no timeshare sales allowed on the RUI properties. The RIU is first class all the way. Hope this helps.

Leslie Dec 27th, 2001 05:22 AM

My sister and I went all inclusive to the Reef Club in Playa and LOVED it. It is pretty much the first hotel on the "strip" so the beach is much less crowed than further down and its beautiful. Very clean. The food was good, and only 5 minute taxi into downtown Playa.

Joyce Dec 28th, 2001 09:40 AM

Riu or either of the Iberostar's are much better than the Allego. Though if you get a GREAT DEAL on the Allegro, it does have a nice beach and pool area.<BR>There are many great hotels there. Iberostar Parasio in not in PDC, but is new and gorgous. It is usually Lower than Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan.<BR>