Playa Del Carmen - 1st time

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 10:15 AM
Chad Potter

Playa Del Carmen - 1st time

Hi... I am getting married in the states and traveling to playa del carmen for my honeymoon. We have rented a condo in Xaman-Ha and will be staying there for a week. As this is our first trip to Mexico, I have several questions. I know that the drinking water is not considered to be safe. But can you consume the ice (especially in margaritas) in the playa del carmen area? What forms of currency should we take to the area? Pesos/dollars/traveler's checks? Is visa/MC accepted at many places in PDC? We are also planning to go snorkeling for the first time on our trip. Any places that are particularly good or bad? And my final questions is are there any daily activities or resturants in the area that we must visit? I realize that this is an extensive list of questions. Any information on all or any parts of this would be greatly appreciated.. You can either post a reply at this site or email me directly... Thanks... Chad

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 10:38 AM
Dan

It would be worth it to buy a guidebook
for the Yucatan- available in any good
bookstore. All the questions you ask
will answered in detail, and then some.

Some comments- you always want to carry
pesos to spend in Mexico. Most places
will accept dollars, but often they'll
give you change back in pesos at an exchange rate rounded down to the nearest whole number. Have a good trip!

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 11:51 AM
Bill

I was in PDC a couple of years ago and I travel to Mexico monthly for business. I think that the ice is OK in the resorts. If it is cylindrical with a hole through the center I am told it's been made with purified water. Drink bottled water otherwise and of course the beer is fine.

Get your pesos at the airport in Mexico either by exchanging dollars or using ATM card. You better rate there than at the airports in the States. Credit cards
are OK too except at some small shops and street vendors.

There is a great snorkeling area just south of PDC. It's a parklike setting who's name escapes me now but look for brochures when you get there.Also be sure to tour the ruins at Tulum.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 12:46 PM
dan woodlief

For me, I would say that the must sees around the Playa del Carmen area are Cozumel (take the ferry early and rent a scooter - be warned though, it is a big island - on the north shore [I think] there is rougher surf and the beaches tend to be pretty deserted, so it is easy to find a beach all to yourself), Tulum, and Chichen Itza. Also great are the ruins at Coba (in the jungle), snorkeling at Xel-Ha (a park - but the best snorkeling is off of Cozumel), and Isla Mujeres (small island off of Cancun). There is also an interesting nature preserve called Xian-can farther south - haven't been there. At Playa del Carmen walk north on the beach from the ferry pier. There are some nice more deserted beaches down that way - Coco Beach is a nice place to spend a day under rental umbrellas (about 15 minutes from the pier).

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 09:33 AM
Eric

Mail me and I can tell you more....