Play del Carmen

Old Sep 1st, 2020, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Play del Carmen

Eleven of us have booked flights to Mexico this November. I have heard that beaches are closed but I am not certain of that. I do know that Covid cases have been high so I do not feel safe taking grand kids. What makes this difficult is that we have purchased our tickets from Frontier and each costs nearly $900. It is my understanding that we can change them or cancel 60 days before for no fee but they can only be banked for 90 days and then need to be rebooked. The bad part is that we would consider rebooking for next November but of course can not book that far out. So, the other option is to book something else but no other destination is that expensive and we loose whatever balance is unused. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any place else to write about our concern other than Frontier? I need to get this taken care of in the next week or so.
Old Sep 1st, 2020, 12:45 PM

"I heard"?

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/

As long as Quintana Roo remains "orange" the beaches are closed. If and when it ever elevates to yellow, the protocols are outlined in this news article. The next update is in about a week.

https://www.riviera-maya-news.com/ma...ning/2020.html

"Some of those restrictions, he pointed out, will include an access schedule with a maximum beach stay time of three hours. He also says that while people are on the beaches, they must respect the healthy distance which will be 2.5 meters, as well as the delimited spaces for each person.

Beachgoers must also arrive with a mask and sanitizing gel. Groups of more than five will not be allowed, nor will alcoholic beverages. Anyone visiting the beach must bring a degradable plastic bag to collect the garbage they generate."

Personally, I think it's irresponsible to travel to Mexico for nonessential reasons (tourism) before there is a vaccine, so I have no recommendations other than to postpone the trip.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 06:13 AM

For up to date first hand information go to Trip Advisor.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...Peninsula.html
Here is a thread on TA that gives updates regualarly.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Peninsula.html

You don't say where you are staying. If you are staying at a resort, their beaches are open an their activities are taking place as well.
Old Sep 2nd, 2020, 06:36 AM

Mexico is using an epidemiological risk colour code system to determine what can open. Red is the highest risk which means only essential activities are open.

We are currently Orange (second highest risk) which means beaches are closed for public access. However, guests staying at beachside hotels/resorts have been having access to the beach. And Playa del Carmen defied the guidelines and opened some beaches -- they're still open now, and will probably remain open (this is ONLY at Playa del Carmen).

By the time you come in November, it's expected that the colour code will have changed to Yellow (or Green?) which means that beaches can open for public access.

The Covid-19 statistics are improving here, and the stats for Playa are a lot better than Cancun. I'd be more concerned about getting on a plane.
Old Sep 3rd, 2020, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

I knew I could count on all of you for links to get the latest info. Thank you.
We are scheduled to stay in a VRBO; so would be hoping to spend time at a public beach which is not promising at this time. Our other problem is that grand kids do not have passports yet because passport offices were closed and it seems unlikely that we would get them in time. I will work on canceling the VRBO and then Frontier flights.
I did hear that the Colorado Attorney General, Phil Weiser filed a federal investigation into Frontier this week because of the number of complaints he has received. I called his office and the gal I spike with gave me the info to file a complaint. She said Frontier "has been very naughty" during the pandemic.If every you want to file a complaint regarding a flight go to: US Dept of Transportation. It was a very easy process.
Again thank you,
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 07:50 AM

The governor of Quintana Roo has upgraded the north part to yellow with beaches to open with restrictions, despite the state being orange on the federal map.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cor...-another-week/

"Beaches, gyms and archaeological sites in the northern region, which includes Cancún, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Isla Mujeres and Cozumel, will all be permitted to reopen at reduced capacity between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., the governor said.He said that people will not be permitted to take alcoholic beverages or food to the beach and urged citizens to continue observing coronavirus mitigation measures."

Other openings are permitted at reduced capacity, but not bars. I hope this doesn't lead to another spike like it did in California.
PS some former health ministers think that the level of testing is not adequate. Kind of like here, actually.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 14th, 2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old Sep 16th, 2020, 08:53 AM

I keep track of Puerto Vallarta (pacific side) via Trip Advisor. People are traveling there now and planning fall trips. It's nothing I would do but it is open.

Unfortunate about Frontier because most airlines made more generous policies when all this hit back in March. I'm holding a credit with Alaska good thru next July from a cancelled March trip (on a non-refundable ticket) for example.

Old Sep 17th, 2020, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

I cancelled so I have 90 days to rebook a flight with Frontier and any money I do not use at that time I loose. My kids tickets were nearly $900 so unless we book Mexico again during a holiday we will loose money. I hope to never use Frontier again!
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 06:03 AM

Could you book a resort in Mexico rather than VRBO? The resorts have open beaches and pools, etc.
Old Sep 18th, 2020, 07:39 AM

Some information is available on the US Embassy Website. Click on the appropriate State name (Quintana Roo for Playa). I'd actually avoid using Tripadvisor for accuracy, since some locals seem to want to discourage travel so aren't giving accurate information. Not that I'd blame them. Of course if there is a spike due to increased international tourism, things could roll back.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...9-information/

Effective September 14 to 20, all of Quintana Roo will move to the yellow stoplight. Public beaches in Cancun will reopen on September 7. The use of face masks in public is mandatory. Only one person per family may enter essential businesses. Officials may issue fines and/or arrest and detain individuals found to be in violation of stay at home orders.

Transportation limits remain the same. Transportation restrictions are as follows: one person per motorcycle, four people per private vehicle, three people per taxi, and public transportation is operating at 50 percent capacity. Public schools started virtually in August 2020 and will resume in-person classes when the state is designated green in the national stoplight system.

Maximum capacity under the yellow stoplight state system:
  • Administrative services to 75 percent.
  • Open air gyms and athletic clubs to 70 percent.
  • Indoor gyms to 50 percent.
  • Hotels, tourism, recreation, beaches and public parks, religious services, hair salons, malls,
  • and cinemas to 60 percent.
  • Schools, bars, clubs, and nightlife activities remain closed.
    Alcohol sales are allowed under the following parameters*]Convenience stores and supermarkets: Monday to Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.
    and Sundays 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Restaurants: 10:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m
It sounds like traveling with a large group will be especially problematic.

Last edited by mlgb; Sep 18th, 2020 at 07:42 AM.