Planning our first trip without kids, where to go?

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Planning our first trip without kids, where to go?

Hello, I need some advice on travel planning. My parents have graciously offered to babysit our 2 year old son so my husband and I can go away for a week's vacation. Since our lives are so hectic and we live in a cold climate, we'd love to go someplace warm. Neither of us have been to the Caribbean, Central America or Mexico before. Unfortunately, the way my parents travel schedule and our work schedules are we are not able to get away until early June. And we are traveling from Vermont, so we have to make a connection not matter where we go.

We are both pretty athletic, so we'd definitely want someplace with water sports. I'd love a place that has yoga and some other fitness classes (but that's not vital). But honestly, we may end up just wanting to sit on a beach. Typically I'm not a big beach girl and love excursions, but I may be completely fried by June and just want to relax. So I guess we'd like to go to a place where there are things to do if we want, but not feel obligated to do them. We've never done any type of all-inclusive before, but I have to admit, there's a real appeal about not having to think about money for a few days. However, we are totally open to anything.

As for location, I guess we'd want to not have to travel more than say a 4-5 hour flight from Boston/NY. I've asked around and I've had Turks & Caicos, St. John, Club Med Cancun, and Costa Rica suggested to me so far. I'd love to hear from some Fodors people!

Where would you suggest for our first trip and why?

Thanks in advance!

Old Jan 29th, 2004, 07:34 AM

There are many options for you. During June, prices to Mexico drop because is low season there. My top choice will be Playa del Carmen near Cancun. There are several all-inclusive resorts located there. You can sit on the beach all day and do nothing while you are there, or you might want to take a couple of day excursions to the interesting Mayan ruins, Isla Mujeres or Cozumel. What is your age range, just to get a better idea of what you might like. Puerto Vallarta would be by second choice and then Ixtapa.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

We will both be 35. In fact, my husband will celebrate his birthday on the trip. I do know we would like to go out dancing a night or two, as we rarely get to do that anymore.

Thanks so much for your help!!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:39 PM

I believe I would suggest Bermuda for June. It won't be nearly as hot as places that are farther south but yet plenty warm for water sports. Doesn't seem terribly child friendly there so that would work out well for you this trip. Nightlife there is not as abundant as you'd find in Mexico or Caribbean places though. The hotter places would probably be cheaper but we get around that by spending 5 nights instead of 7. Don't forget June is very,very hot in Mexico and the Caribbean ... with the winter we've had this year, that can be hard to imagine.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Delores. I'll add Bermuda to my list to look at. I remember ages and ages ago when my parents took their first vacation without me they went to Bermuda! And they loved it. Of course, that was more than 30 years ago.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:48 AM

Consider a 10+ night cruise out of your area to the Caribbean...you will see many different places and will not have to travel far to the port...
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Can you make any recommendations on a cruise line?