Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Planning honeymoon to either PV or Cancun, husband afraid of sharks

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 12:53 PM
Heather

Hello everybody! My husband and I are planning a long awaited honeymoon to either Cancun or Puerto Vallarta. Before I was married I have travelled to tropical destinations, and have never had a fear of sharks and other creatures. I love snorkelling and the water! My husband on the other hand, knows how to swim, but is deathly afraid of venturing into the water because of sharks! I know myself it is rare for attacks,and I have been trying to explain this to him. He really wants to go somewhere tropical,but is afraid of the water. I told him, he doesn't have to go in, if he doesn't feel comfortable. Maybe with some info, someone on this site can help. Thanks!

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 04:42 PM
JRinPV

In 25 years I have seen one shark in Puerto Vallarta

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 06:51 PM
bert

Hmmm .. just maybe the well dressed kind who have free breakfasts, catamaran cruises, and a TS at the end of the hook!!! LOL

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 07:45 PM
Brandi

I would reccomend the Playa Del Carmen area below Cancun. This way you both can venture to Xel-Ha, and Xcaret Eco parks that have sheltered areas. Xcaret has an outstanding underground river you just float down. Xel-ha's lagoon is the best! and is protected, so no sharks. Playa Del Carmen area is also less expensive than Cancun. The beaches are great but in themselves aren't good for snorkeling. You can also take the ferry over to Cozumel for great snorkeling. I went diving there, and while I didn't see any sharks, have heard somebody else say she saw a hammer-head.
Brandi

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Ally

The water is so clear blue in Playa Del Carmen, so you can see anything that's in the water. I've never seen nor heard of any sharks in the area, and as poster above said, it can be less expensive than Cancun.
Also, the water will be warmer, more calm and better for swimming anyway!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 04:44 PM
brandi

I guess I should clarify about the snorkeling in Playa Del Carmen....I say it isn't good, but that isn't because of the water. The water is amazing and clear blue, but the sandy bottom and lack of rocks and things, doesn't make for lots of interesting things to see. It really was great for swimming and lounging. I did see some fish and found a shoe..LOL.

Brandi

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:53 PM
mike

one must think that the shark fillets at the local fish markets in pvr is imported. the bay of banderas is full of sharks, what is jr thinking? it is just a question of if they are hungry or not. if the water is cloudy, don't snorkel/scuba. the diving in and around cancun is far better than what pvr has to offer. plus cancun is lot cheaper than pvr.

Author: JRinPV ([email protected])
Date: 01/22/2002, 07:42 pm
Message: In 25 years I have seen one shark in Puerto Vallarta

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:38 PM
Brandi

I would have to disagree about the pricing in PVR. I don't think Cancun is cheaper than ANY place in Mexico..but thats just my two cents. But the snorkeling in PVR doesn't even compare to the wonders of the Caribbean.
Brandi

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 10:32 PM
Dana

Stay in PV. at the Grand Marival in Nuevo Vallarta all inclusive, I've been all over Mexico including Cancun which I hate but due south of there is a Place called AKUMAL. HEAVEN! You can rent a condo or stay in the 16 room hotel and snorkel to your hearts content never saw a shark, just beautiful colored fish. And there's hardly anyone there, wonderful food, very romantic. Lots of Mayan ruins near by Cozumel down the road. When we left my wife and I looked over the car at each other and we didn't want to leave. You could have poured us in tea cups we were so relaxed. I'm retired at 56 my wife is 35 and we have a 2 year old and she's been in the water at PV already and May she will be again, AKUMAL next year she'll be dogpaddlying by then. Stay 3nights in Cancun partying then go to the airport rent a car and drive to AKUMAL the Yucatan pennisula is wonderful and the people are wonderful.
GOOD LUCK I HOPE I'VE HELPED
DANA

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Christie

PDC is completely protected by a barrier reef, so sharks inside it are very rare.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:35 PM
tricia

Sorry Mike but I disagree!
The Bay of Banderas - Puerto Vallarta
is supposed to be a dolphin bay and so, they protect us from those nasty sharks!
This is what I have been told and have been in PV for 25 years - my family has been surfing in PV since the early 70's and have also only seen one shark and it was out past Punta de Mita, not in the bay!
Let me know where you found the fresh shark filetes for sale. And I'm sure that they were caught out side of the Bay.
Sharks would be my last worry in PV.