Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Planning for Belize (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/planning-for-belize-630388/)

Leonora Jul 12th, 2006 09:09 AM

Planning for Belize

I don't know where to start. Anyone have any recommendations for best areas, airlines, etc. Also if anyone has gotten a good package deal, let me know.

Katie_Valk Jul 12th, 2006 01:30 PM

Cayo, Placencia and Ambergris are our most visited areas. AA, Cont, US Air. Delta and TACA all fly into Belize. You can split your trip between the beach and the mainland for maya sites, caves, jungle, river, waterfalls, horses and culture. Friendly, English speaking, easy to get around.

fuzzylogic Jul 13th, 2006 03:46 AM

I'm reseaching too - anyone else want to chime in on the virtues, or otherwise, of Placencia?
Thx loads.

Katie_Valk Jul 13th, 2006 03:59 AM

Placencia has Belize's better beaches, nice assortment of inns, resorts, hotels and restaurants in the village and along the 16 mile peninsula. Good diving, snorkeling, fishing, kayaking and sailing. The reef is 19 miles from shore, snorkel/dive trips depart at 9 and return late afternoon. Docile whale sharks in the area full moon March -July. Easy to arrange day trips to jungle reserves for hiking, river floats and waterfalls, day trips to the maya sites in their vllages in the south, waterfalls, caves. Laid back by most standards, developing, nice friendly people.

JackOneill Jul 13th, 2006 05:53 AM

If time and money are no big issues, I'd plan on flying into Guatemala to spend a day at Tikal. It's truly stunning.

I'd also look at the Chan Chich Lodge. It's fairly remote but absolutely gorgeous. It's a lodge that's built among some ruins. Very nice place to stay. It's aslo fairly close to the ruins of Lamanai.

fuzzylogic Jul 14th, 2006 03:30 AM

Thx Katie,
Just trying to get a picture here. You say it's laid back and developing - yet there are resorts? Is it resortland? Is there a Macdonalds? Is it a popular destination for families?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is it unspoilt or spoilt? I know it's all relative.

JeanH Jul 14th, 2006 03:51 AM

Definitely no McDonald's. There is a restaurant in Placencia called Wendy's, but it is no 'relation' to the chain in the US.

There are also no large resorts, in the Jamaica/Mexico type of all-inclusives.

I think it's a great place for families, as long as you don't have kids who aren't going to be happy unless they have a Disney type experience.

Leonora Jul 17th, 2006 05:14 AM

"Docile Whale sharks"??? What are these?

JeanH Jul 17th, 2006 10:35 AM

'Docile' is a description of the whale sharks. Largest shark and the largest fish in the world, up to 40 feet. They aren't aggressive. One of these years I'm going to get to Placencia at the right time to see them.