Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Planning first trip to CR, how soon should we start booking?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

I am starting to plan a trip for the late Nov/early Dec 2006 time frame and have a few questions:

How far in advance should we start lining up hotels/car etc...? We want to visit Arenal for 2-3 nights and MA for 2-3 nights. We would be looking for hotels in the 80-120$ range. There will be 3 of us travelling.

I live in central Florida. Can anyone give some idea for how the humidity in CR compares to Florida? Will late Nov/early Dec down there be pleasant like it generally is here at that time of year, or will it be more like our hot, muggy Florida summers? Just want to be prepared...

We will likely be driving ourselves. Regarding the petty theft problems which sadly seem to abound, how do you stop for side trips along the way without getting your stuff stolen from the car? For example; if we want to stop at Poas on our way to Arenal, do we leave the luggage in the car and take our chances? Haul it to the crater with us?? Take turns staying with the car while the others view the crater?

My mother will be joining us on this trip. She is in her late 60's and in pretty good health, but strenuous hiking up steep hills would be tough for her. Any suggestions for activities that would be appropriate? The Cano Negro tour from Fortuna sounds like a good option, and we'll definitely visit one of the hot springs. Are the MA nat'l park trails pretty easy?? We love wildlife viewing, and mom is very fond of nice botanical gardens. Any ideas are welcome!

This is getting way too long, so I'll stop rambling. Thanks so much for any input!!
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM
z

Do you have your air tickets already? As soon as you get them start booking if you want to stay in any specific places. So you are talking about spending 4-6 days in Costa Rica? $80 for one or two rooms? Does your mom need a separate room? Regarding the petty theft problems - don't leave your car unattended for a minute. It is a very tempting to visit other areas on the way but be prepared everything may be stolen so don't leave cameras, money, documents in your unattended car. As you know everything else can be replaced if stolen. You don't need lots of stamina to watch birds and animals. None of these activities are demanding.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response, Z! We would be spending 7 nights/8 days in CR (minus the 2 travel days = 6 full days). We would prefer to find rooms with triple occupancy (will be my mother, brother and I). Still working on the specific dates and airline tickets.

So it sounds like its not too early to start on the hotels (once we get the dates finalized). We'd love to be on the lava side of Arenal when we go (provided the weather allows us a view...), and I know the lava flows can change direction without much warning. How far in advance do rooms tend to fill up in that area?

Thanks also for the warnings about leaving stuff in the car. Pretty much backs up everything else I've been reading. Perhaps we'll just dispense with any side trips and focus on the main attractions.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM

A lot of hotels in CR involve pretty steep climbs just to get to your room, but some have golf carts so they can give your mom a ride. It's always a good idea to book early, but November is a pretty rainy month and might not be too busy. If you stay at the Jr. Suites in Arenal Lodge, she won't have to walk far to the restaurants -- the chalet rooms are quite a hike. It's a lovely hotel and not too $$. In MA park the trail isn't too steep; just make sure she can get around the hotel ok. Your mom might like a visit to Lankaster Botanical Gardens -- easy walking and lots to look at. La Paz might have too many steps for her. If you go w/ a good guide it's much more interesting. My friend Gustavo might be available - [email protected]

Sandy
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:40 PM

p.s. Don't leave anything visible in your car. I've left things locked up in the trunk and haven't had any trouble.

Sandy
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Some places book quickly. We are a family of five - there was one particular room at Costa Verde in MA that would have been great for us, but in September it was booked for mid-March. It shouldn't be so hard for you, but might as well book now.

The hiking at the hanging bridges by Lost Iguagna in Arenal was pretty easy and level. The hiking at MA national park is quite easy, but it was very hot when we were there (mid-March). Don't know about November.

We stayed at Lost Iguagna and Tulemar Bungalows and both of them involve steep walks.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:30 AM

As others have said, it depends on if you HAVE to stay in specific places.

If you read my recent trip report (sorry, I don't know how to link, but look for "You CAN do CR without reservations&quot, we booked a flight/car package about 2 weeks before we went, and made up the trip as we went along, and had no problem finding places to stay.

But, we didn't stay in the few places that are talked about repeatedly on these boards.

Keep luggage in trunk or under cover in an SUV and you'll be fine. We didn't hit any problems.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Ok can someone help me out here? I thought there was security in the Poas parking lot?

Also cmerrell, on the way do stop at La Paz Waterfall Gardens. I believe all of you will very much enjoy the waterfalls and the grounds here. The trails are nicely engineered and should not be a problem for your Mom. They also have walking sticks available, which even I found handy at times. La Paz picks you up at the bottom of the trail and takes you back to the lodge. But if your Mom chooses not to tackle the trail, she may want to go part way and then turn back and spend more time in the gardens, or with the hummingbirds, or butterflies. There is security in their lot.

MA offers some easy walking trails.

If you want specific hotels/lodges then it is never too early. CR is becoming more popular by the minute - wet or dry season! Sometimes I have even booked my lodging prior to my airfare in order to stay in my desired location.

Check Costa Verde for lodging in MA - lots of different options and gets loads of good reviews. http://www.costaverde.com/index.htm

Hotel California might suit your budget -
http://www.hotel-california.com/costa_rica/index.html

And more modest pricing, you might check Mono Azul - http://hotelmonoazul.com/

Because kaudrey mentions some not often mentioned spots, I thought I would help her out. Here is your report - for future reference - click on your name - find your subject - click on it - look at the top - right click on subject title - copy shortcut.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34782138
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:07 PM

If you desire very specific accommodations then book now. There are many places to choose from in the M. Antonio area and late Nov. is low season although Dec. 1 begins high season. The weather in late Nov./Dec. is not like your Florida summer. missiepie was here in March when it's the absolute hottest here in M. Antonio but November is a bit cooler with a chance of showers as it's the end of the green season. Probably 85 high, 70 at night at that time. Arenal will be cooler and San Jose will be chilly. Hope this helps! Lisa in M. Antonio
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

You guys are terrific! Thanks for the good info and suggestions. It's really nice to be able to benefit from the first-hand experience of others.

For some reason, I wasn't even thinking of La Paz (even though I had read about it in my guide book). I've been looking at some pictures online and my mom would totally love it. She would really enjoy the Lankaster Botanical gardens as well.

Thanks for the hotel ideas. I already had Costa Verde and Hotel California on my list of possibilities for MA. I will add Arenal Lodge to the short list for the Arenal region.

I have two questions about Costa Verde. It gets very positive ratings here overall, but the reviews are a bit more mixed on the Trip Advisor site; with more than one person complaining about noise in the CVII suites (specifically noise from the road and pool area). Just wondering if that's been an issue for any of you who have stayed there? The pictures of the ocean view from the hotel certainly do look spectacular! Also, are there units in CVII that would be reasonably mom-friendly for getting to the restaurants and car (and/or bus stop for the nat'l park)?? She's not an invalid or anything like that; just not quite as spry as she used to be, and has a bit of arthritis to contend with. She's a real trooper though, and very excited about this trip!

Lisa in MA, thanks for the weather info. Everyone else, thanks for all the great tidbits of info. If you think of any more, keep 'em coming!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM

cmerrell,
I believe dfarmer is correct in that the parking area at Poas is secure. We have parked there and at La Paz with our luggage in the vehicle with no problems. And we tend to err on the cautious side. Would never leave vehicle unattended at restaurants, malls, etc. But these two places seemed very secure. I'm sure it isn't always the case, but we have found that there will often be signs posted in parking areas where problems tend to occur (Tabacon Hot Springs, etc). I don't want to lead you in the wrong directions, but if you can manage side trips to Poas and La Paz on the way to Arenal, it would be nice. Your mom would surely love La Paz. The steps up and down the waterfalls might give here some problems, but perhaps not. The hummingbirds and butterflies are delightful! Enjoy!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:15 AM

Thanks, dfarmer! I'll have to try it next time!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 01:04 AM

Hi cmerrell,
The B section with AC at Costa Verde1
has just a few steps up to the parking area and a short walk to the restaurant. The ability to cool the place down and close the glass sliding door at night will help you get quite for the night and early morning. The studio plus units have the great view and are away from the road side.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Just a few more thoughts that popped into my head ... for your mom, pack a pair of the "beach/water shoes" that are readily avail in FL (at Walgreens, CVS etc.) Not flipflops but it's a flexible shoe that covers the entire foot with an adjustable elastic at the ankle. If you do the springs at Tabacon, she'll be assured of some solid footing in the hot spas. For multipurpose wear make sure she packs an add'l pair of shoes that have very good traction on the bottom. They don't need to be big ol' hikers, just something that has good tread so she won't slip on tile as chances are you'll have a bit of rain. (Actually, a good idea for anyone in your group ... I've taken a spill a time or two in the rainy season when I was less conscientious of my footwear!) A bit more info re. weather: restaurants in M. Antonio are open air and screenless so this might be a big change for you from C. FL. With our many friends/visitors here from FL, this is something that initially perplexed them but they enjoyed. I hope you all enjoy your trip! Lisa in M. Antonio
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Costa Verde info, Earthtraveler. And thanks to everyone for the additional info on secure parking lots, footwear suggestions, and everything else!

Most of you are frequent posters to these boards and clearly have a great love and appreciation for Costa Rica. I can't wait to experience it for myself!