Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Places to stay in Cabo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/places-to-stay-in-cabo-566909/)

lisa4travel Oct 25th, 2005 02:17 PM

Places to stay in Cabo

I'm planning a trip to Cabo for Christmas and would like some advice on condos/resorts to stay at. We want to be in Cabo San Lucas and preferably within walking distance to nightlife/shopping/beach. Thanks!!! :)

MichelleY Oct 25th, 2005 08:36 PM

Dear lisa:

There are plenty of places right in Cabo. The Melia, Pueblo Bonito, Villa del Palmar are very nice and handy to the beach. There are other places even closer to the downtown. Check out redweek.com It lists places for rent & sale.

Good luck,

MY

lisa4travel Oct 26th, 2005 08:29 AM

Thanks Michelle....
I'll check those out!

lvitaly Oct 26th, 2005 09:37 AM

I have stayed at the Marina Fiesta Resort right on the Marina before. So close to everything you would certainly not need a car.

lisa4travel Oct 28th, 2005 02:24 PM

Unfortunately, the Marina Fiesta is not available for Christmas....this has been kind of tough trying to find a place. Right now we are tossing between Villa del Palmar and Hotel Finisterra...possibly Solmar Suites. :(

LynnieD Oct 30th, 2005 11:32 AM

Lisa, I will be at Hotel Finisterra Nov 2-6 and will answer your logistical questions at that time. Hold on for a front line report.

lisa4travel Oct 31st, 2005 07:53 AM

Thanks Linnie! Looking forward to it!
:-D

SweetD Nov 2nd, 2005 03:35 PM

Villa Del Palmar is beautiful. We stayed on the top floor, right in the middle with a great view of the ocean. They don't have a miny bar but there's always happy hour going on. It is a bit of a walk to town on the beach, but down there, you'll need some exercise and who doesn't like walking on the beach with the one they love! Don't stay close to the Marina - it's stinky. The only time we took a taxi was one wild and crazy night at Squid Row and we COULDN'T walk back to the resort. Have fun. We're going to the Mayan Riviera for Christmas and can't wait!

lisa4travel Nov 4th, 2005 09:32 AM

SweetD....
I have no doubt we'll be having a night like that ourselves!!!!! Thanks for your comments...it's making me chomp at the bit....definitely ready to be there! Have fun on your trip!

LynnieD Nov 8th, 2005 07:35 AM

Lisa, I'm back from the Hotel Finisterra. It was well located at the very end of Cabo, directly across from the marina, which made it really easy to get a water taxi. Walk to town took about 5 minutes.

The hotel was really nice although the linens were not really great. Food and drinks were really good, the 2 for 1 drinks at the pool bar every day from 2:30-4:30 was fun. Pools were beautiful and geared towards adults (No water slides, etc), lots of water volleyball going on.

THe beach there is nice, you can't go in the water. For ocean swimming we took a water taxi over to the Sea of COrtez harbour and hung out on the beach chaise lounges at Billigans, Glad to order drinks in order to enjoy the umbrellas over some of the beach chairs. The water there was heavenly. Rented jet skis from JT sports and caught a glass bottom boat which takes you to lovers beach. Bring your snorkel gear.

Hotel had no spa if that's important to you. You can get a massage at the gym. TV service was pretty bad. Fuzzy cable.
Rooms all have spectacular views and were really large. Room service was prompt and food arrived hot/cold appropriatly.

Little_Man Nov 8th, 2005 07:39 AM

glad to see the Finisterra is still nice (I was there more than 10 years ago!). Thanks for the update! And it seems very reasonably priced.

lisa4travel Nov 8th, 2005 01:18 PM

Thanks for the info, Lynnie! I'm feeling much better, now! Whew!!!! And getting very excited! Definitely looking forward to those 2 for 1 drink specials.....is that 2 for me, 1 for hubby????? LOL