Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Place with a beach you can swim (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/place-with-a-beach-you-can-swim-912725/)

sbfrench1 Nov 20th, 2011 02:12 PM

Place with a beach you can swim

We just returned from spending 8 days at Pueblo Bonito in the Golden Zone in Mazatlan. Great resort and beach with miles of walking. For 2012 we want to go to Puerto Vallarta. We usually rent timeshares, now most hotels are hotel timeshares. Can anyone recommend timeshares that have a swimmable beach and a stretch to walk, or, does that not exist in PV. We do not want to stay in Nuevo Vallarta.

Erica_Rivera Nov 20th, 2011 04:40 PM

You should visit Playa la Ropa in Zihuatanejo Bay.
www.hotelcasadonfrancisco.com

suze Nov 21st, 2011 06:34 AM

Playa Los Muertos is a nice and swimmable beach in downtown Puerto Vallarta. But I don't think there are any timeshare resort there, just normal hotels. I know you say that's not what you want, but Nuevo Vallarta is where all the timeshare resorts are located and has the long walkable beaches.

sbfrench1 Nov 22nd, 2011 02:00 PM

WOW! It's hard to believe that the beaches in Puerto Vallarta are all so bad, why do people like to go there so much? Just to party.

tenthumbs Nov 22nd, 2011 02:45 PM

I am a timeshare owner at Villa Del Palmar in PV; the beach is swimmable in front of that resort.

suze Nov 22nd, 2011 07:19 PM

No, people don't like PV "just to party". And the beaches are "not so bad". But it's the Pacific Ocean, not the Caribbean-side or a Caribbean island or asia or the south pacific. Not bad, just different.

Why people like it? It's a beautiful and authentic Mexican city. Incredible setting on the Bay of Banderas, with jungles and mountains surrounding. Friendly people, reasonably priced apartments and hotels, lots of cultural activities, tours, outdoor sports, incredible restaurants in all price ranges, art galleries, shopping, great weather most of the year.

Long story short, why people love and return to Vallarta is not just for a nice beach.

qwovadis Nov 23rd, 2011 03:52 AM

blog.rci.com/blog/puerto-vallarta-timeshare

best options in NV maybe Mayan Palace

or

Playa Del Carmen way better for beach white powder...

tom42 Nov 23rd, 2011 05:12 AM

Who said the beaches in Puerto Vallarta are all so bad? Not sure but there may be some timeshares in the Hotel Zone and Marina. First time I went, I stayed at the Fiesta Americana in the Hotel Zone and it had a great stretch of beach.

sbfrench1 Nov 23rd, 2011 08:11 AM

Thank you, I'll check out those 2 mentioned timeshares.

suze Nov 23rd, 2011 11:28 AM

If you come up with a list of timeshares in Vallarta that you are considering, we can help describe the beaches in that part of town. Why I can't be more helpful, is while I know the beaches and the town very well, I've never stayed in a timeshare myself.

sbfrench1 Nov 27th, 2011 07:07 AM

We were looking at the Sheraton Bougainvillas, at the Westin Club Regina and the Mayan Palace, these 2 resorts are near the harbor.

suze Nov 27th, 2011 07:17 AM

You said you didn't want Nuevo Vallarta, that's where Mayan Palace is located. But would be where you find the longest stretches of uninterrupted beaches.

Sheraton is the closest to the downtown area and well-liked place to stay. It would be my choice of the 3. I'm not sure what you mean though by "near the harbor".

Westin I've only seen on TV (featured once on a Travel channel best resorts show) but they made it look pretty amazing.