Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Place to stop for one night between Montezuma and San Jose Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/place-to-stop-for-one-night-between-montezuma-and-san-jose-airport-850927/)

slp02d Jul 22nd, 2010 08:51 AM

Place to stop for one night between Montezuma and San Jose Airport

I am trying to decide if there is a city worth checking out between Montezuma and the San Jose Airport. We are traveling for 8 nights. 3 nights in Arenal, 3 nights in Montezuma, 1 night by the airport for our last day. That leaves one extra day... we could just extend our visit at Montezuma or Arenal... havent decided yet. Or any cities near Montezuma that would be fun for one night. Also, any recommendations for a fun place close to the airport for our last night? No chain hotels please. Thanks!

volcanogirl Jul 22nd, 2010 09:40 AM

Xandari is a neat spot neat the airport - nice trails to hike, waterfalls on the property, great views, and a good open air restaurant. They'll transport you to the airport for free.

slp02d Jul 22nd, 2010 10:57 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a bit out of price range. Thanks though!

volcanogirl Jul 22nd, 2010 11:18 AM

Orquideas Inn is popular and more affordable.

RAC Jul 22nd, 2010 11:22 AM

You could spend a day near Tarcoles--

Day 7: Depart from Montezuma to Tarcoles area--late afternoon Crocodile safari boat ride
Day 8: Early morning tour of Carara national park, then drive 2 hours to San Jose.

Or, you could just spend an extra night in Arenal or Montezuma.

hipvirgochick Jul 22nd, 2010 11:22 AM

Orquideas Inn is a good choice for near the airport. Great pool and hot tub. Good restaurant and fantastic breakfast. In the City, still not too far for a taxi drive to SJO in the morning, is Casa 69. Wonderful and inexpensive.

slp02d Jul 22nd, 2010 12:02 PM

Awesome suggestions. Thanks! Off topic... regarding hot springs in Arenal, has anyone heard of the Springs resort? The website shows awesome springs for $40 for two days and it includes a free cat tour b/c they rescue and rehabilitate large cats. Sounds awesome. I heard Tabacon was expensive and Baldi was crowded. Thanks again!

volcanogirl Jul 22nd, 2010 12:08 PM

The Springs gets good reviews. Some people say it doesn't feel all that aunthentically Costa Rican though. I'd like to check it out someday. Eco Termales is really popular if you want to check it out; they serve a nice chicken dinner. We loved it.

If you decide that you want a city hotel in San Jose, we liked Grano de Oro - neat architecture and good restaurant on site.

hipvirgochick Jul 22nd, 2010 12:45 PM

I think your talking about Las Pumas which I haven't been able to get to but would love to. I've heard good things about it. Springs is probably closer to Tabacon in being pretty fancy and lush. Eco-Thermales is a little more low key, wonderful though. I wouldn't go to Baldi just from everything I've read it doesn't appeal to me at all.

volcanogirl Jul 22nd, 2010 02:03 PM

The people we've talked to who have been to Baldi have not liked it. We haven't been.