Photos from El Tamarindo (Mexico)

Jan 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Photos from El Tamarindo (Mexico)

We just returned from a long weekend trip to El Tamarindo resort north of Manzanillo, Mexico. Yes, it's still operating as a resort open to the public and I was told will be for the foreseeable future. We stayed in a forest casita using Skyauction certificates. There were about 10-12 casitas occupied during our stay and we had a really enjoyable time. Here are our photos and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

PS - Please correct me if you see any mis-ID'd wildlife.
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Dear Patty:

OMG!! El Tamarindo looks so beautiful!! Please give a short trip report. This area has a shortage of reports.

Thank you.

MY
Jan 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM

We stayed in the next town up last week. It was hard to tell if Tamarindo is still open. What is the plan for the resort? There was also some sort of huge yachat anchored off shore. What was that?

Tamarindo's golf course still in operation? The trouble with the resort is that it is NOT ecofriendly. It takes way too water from the local water table. Also a golf course in the jungle = lots of pestide.
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:50 PM

ijkH - please do a trip report as we would like more info on this part of Mexico.

Thanks,

MY
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

ijkh,
I don't really know what the plans are for the resort. You probably know more than I do. The golf course is still in operation though I was told it was a separate entity from the resort (perhaps it has always been this way, I don't know). There were some villas under construction on the hillside and I was told those were being built by the company that operates the golf course. Which yacht are you referring to? Anchored near the El Tamarindo pier? There were a few different yachts there during our stay but none that I would describe as huge. Perhaps it was before we got there. Maybe I shouldn't have offered to answer questions

Michelle,
I'll post a brief report later.
Jan 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM

great pictures! I was so happy to see them. My fiance and I are looking for a place to elope to and we are highly considering El Tamarindo! I was wondering if the forest casita is ok, or should we splurge for one of the palm or ocean front casitas? Were there many mosquitos? Were there any weddings there while you visited? Was the staff friendly? I have a few more questions and would love talking to you! My email address is [email protected] if you have time to answer. I don't visit Fodors very often and just created an account to reply to your message. I check my hotmail account regularly!

Thank you,
Kim
Jan 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kim,
The forest casitas are the smallest and most set back. I have a photo of the resort map in my album and you can see the locations (they're labeled mountain villas on the map). We thought it was fine and it afforded us a lot of privacy and we could still hear the ocean. The garden and beach casitas are larger and have an additional pool (a round one like ours and another free form one). The garden casitas are a bit closer to the ocean but still no view but they are also very private (both garden and forest casitas are surrounded by foliage). I would avoid garden casita #28 as it's behind the restaurant. The beach casitas would have a very nice view but you do occasionally have other guests walking in front of them so are not as private although it's not a busy resort.

We didn't notice any mosquitoes though I imagine in the rainy season there would be. There were however sand fleas and I got several bites but I'm an insect magnet. I use all sorts of repellent and my husband doesn't use any and he had almost no bites.

There were no weddings when I was there but I think it would be a great setting for one. As a matter of fact, I have friends who are looking for a place for a destination wedding next year and I was going to mention it to them. All of the staff were very friendly.

I'll also send you an email.
Jan 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

I uploaded some more photos of our forest casita as well as some exteriors of the beach casitas for you.
Feb 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM

We were there in November and I posted a full report in this string, somewhere! El Tamarindo had been part of the Yellowstone Club but they were not getting what they "needed" out of that relationship. They are now part of (I think I have this right) Boutique Hotels of Mexico?? The golf course is open and truly amazing. We had it pretty much to ourselves for three days. They were working on building a road and parking area to The Ninth Hole so non-golfers can get there for lunch. The most sane golf lunch experience I've ever had! You actually stop and dine rather than rushing through your meal on the course and the view is amazing. All the food throughout the resort was great too.

There was a local wedding when we were there. The ceremony took place in the area near the outdoor massages at the spa and the reception was at the largest buildings at the end of the property. They also had a smaller reception at one of the beach front casitas. It was lovely. Oh, and big fireworks on the beach. If you went with a group you could practically take over the resort.

The yachts... one arrived nearly every day we were there. We found out that the locals, or those Americans with boats in Peurto Vallarta, spend the weekends cruising the coast. El Tamarindo sells a "day pass" kind of thing for them to use the facilities. Many just stopped in for lunch and time in the pool before setting off for the evening.

This resort really is an amazing place and far from the beaten path. I hope more people will go so it's open in five years when I can afford to go back!!