Phone Cards for Mexico to USA

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:25 PM
anon

Phone Cards for Mexico to USA

Will any standard phone card (purchased in the US) work when calling the USA from Mexico? Or, is there something special that I have to look for to make international calls?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:04 AM
dana

No--standard phone cards do not work in Mexico. Not any of them. You need to buy a Mexican one. I seem to recall buying one for about 200 pesos and it being for 15 or 20 minutes.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Jean Valjean

The phone card you are looking for is Ladatel. It is a prepaid phone card that works on public phones. They come in 30, 50 and 100 peso. A 100 peso card should last somewhere around 10 minutes.

Public phones are usually easy to find and in working order.

You can buy the cards almost anywhere.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:23 AM
wondering

Really? US purchased phone cards won't work in Mexico? I thought that we had used US phone cards to call home from Europe. Won't work from Mexico, though?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Carole

Try your cards to see if they work. If not, purchase the Ladetel phone card. use it on the Telmex/Ladetel phone booths.

Carole
http://CasaTropical.com

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Karen

Purchase ATT cards at walmart and before going get an access 800# for Mexico. Info on back of cards

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:02 PM
dunya

Ladatel is the way to go. It seems to me that they work out to be a little less than a dollar a minute. Aside from the cards I have noticed that some of the little places you see for "larga distancia" often have good rates after 8 pm. You go into these places, give them the number, they place the call for you, then you go to a booth to pick it up. On occasion I have found them for about 80 cents per minute.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Melissa

I looked into phne cards for my trip to Cabo and found out that my Verizon cell phone cost less to use. All you have to do is call customer care while you're still in the US and tell them you want to use your phone in Mexico. Mine was only $0.85 per minute, including both roaming and long distance charges).

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 10:42 PM
anon

My daughter's fiance calls her from a Mexico City pay phone using an AT&T card from Sam's. At 3.4 cents per minute,the card uses 9 minutes for every 1 minute of talk time to the U.S. In other words, you can call for 30.6 a minute! There is an access number given on a small paper that comes with the card. If you have problems, call the number listed on the back of the card to add minutes to the card, and a REAL person will answer your questions! Its a bargain!

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 04:59 AM
w

Really? The Verizon phone was that cheap? I wonder if one would work in Cancun? Thanks for the info!