Search

Pesos or Dollars

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 1998, 01:43 PM
Ann

Pesos or Dollars

We're planning a visit to Playa del Carmen early next year. <BR>How should we pay our dinks etc. with Pesos or Dollars? <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Ann <BR>The Netherlands <BR>

Old Nov 8th, 1998, 12:40 PM
Louis

When in Mexico, we have always used pesos where a credit card could not be used. While in a tourist area like Playa del Carmen you should have little trouble in using Dollars, this is not the case throughout Mexico.

Old Nov 8th, 1998, 03:41 PM
Susan

We're going to Playa next week. Our travel agent (who has been all over Mexico) advises for PDC that we will use Pesos and that we should exchange them down there. Apparently it's easy to exchange at ATM machines. <BR>We're from Canada, and the other tip that you should look into is that the exchange is direct from Peso's to Canadian dollars when using a credit card. Using a debit card it's exchanged from Pesos to US dollars and then to Canadian dollars. <BR>It will cost us more to do the later, so we're going to prepay on one of our credit cards and use it as a debit card. Then use our other credit card when credit cards are accepted. <BR>Having completed this message and read it over, it sounds a little confusing. Let me know if you need more info!! Have fun. <BR> <BR>Susan <BR>

Old Nov 8th, 1998, 09:19 PM
Mario

I live in Mexico and can assure you that US dollars are accepted just about anywhere throughout the Republic. There is not a village in Mexico that doesn't have dollars sent in from the US by relatives working in the US. However it is generally better to pay in pesos as the exchange rate offered by most vendors is less than the exchange rate at the banks or exchange houses ( casas de cambio ). There are a few occasions when the exchange rate is better at certain businesses ( i.e. some supermarkets and shoestores ). ATM's and credit cards offer the best rate of exchanges but be careful that there aren't fees that exceed the difference in exchange rates. It is not worth it to chase the highest exchange rate at the expense of convenience.

Old Nov 9th, 1998, 06:06 AM
Doug

You will be able to use Pesos or US$ at almost all places along the tourist corridor. When you use an ATM you will receive your money in Pesos. When you get you credit card statement it will show how many pesos you received and the exchange rate, you will be billed in what ever currency you usually use to pay your credit card bill. There are many Casa de Cambio in Playa, Cozumel & Cancun the rate is usually good, but you pay a small premium for the convenience. If you know the exchange rate (today 9.955Pesos to $1US) and take a calculator you can get a good deal using $US or Pesos. Use a credit or Debit Card for large purchases, that way you get the best exchange rate. I never change more than about $50US at a time. You can get Pesos easily, but no one will want to give you $US for Pesos. <BR> <BR>Have Fun in Playa, going back in Dec., can't wait. Doug