Peru or Nepal or ... New Zealand?

Old Jun 4th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peru or Nepal or ... New Zealand?

Myself and my boyfriend are looking to go on a long haul holiday this year. The two options we have are 2 weeks in Sept or 3 weeks at Christmas. We would like to spend some time taking in the scenery, maybe doing a little hiking ....as well as kicking back to take in the local culture.

We had been looking at 2 destinations; Macchu Picchu and Nepal but recently I've been hearing great things about campervaning in New Zealand.

Re Nepal - Would you need to do an organised trip to get around? Or is it easy enough to plan ourselves? Is 2 weeks enough?

Would the trip to Peru be too short at 2 weeks in September? Is it too much to consider Boliva in that trip?

I know I have quite a mix of ideas here, and it all depends on what we're looking for.... but would very much appreciate any advice you can give on timing/time required or any trips you have doen to these places.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM

2 weeks is definitely not too short for Peru. But I'd skip Bolivia and focus on Peru. There's so much to see. I've posted a lot on Peru; here are a few of the threads.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34989812

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34969674

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34969674

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34986745

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34975512

Feel free to post any follow up questions. Also, I've never been to them (yet), but with two weeks, I'd add either the Amazon and/or Lake Titicaca and its floating islands and/or Arequipa (the White City).
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Btw, I love Peru so much, I've been twice and can't wait to go again.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Nepal is amazing but I would definitely recommend going on an organised tour with guides and an itinerary, especially if you only have 2 weeks. It makes things much easier and hassle free, your boyfriend would probably prefer that, he'd get to meet lots of other people as well, if you were having a row and not speaking to him, he could talk to others in the group. Enjoy Nepal!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM

You have posted this exact same question 9 times on all the different boards. Now stop and see what responses you get.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Eh ... sorry + thanks (I think). Couldn't see them appearing. Well counted though!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Didn't mean to sound harsh. I know you are new. To find your posts, you click on your username. The threads you don't want to keep active (like the ones posted on Europe), just let them sink without adding anything. The ones that you do want - pick one thread on Asia, one on South America, for example, you can post again, saying something like "anyone ideas?" - that will bring that one back to the top and the duplicate posts can sink. Every time you, or anyone else, adds something, it brings the thread up to the top. You only want one per board or it gets confusing.

Anyway, welcome, and hope you get some great help
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that...
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM

Well.....having been to both NZ and Peru in the last 18 months I would definitely say Peru (not that's there anything wrong with NZ!!) - I love ancient civilizations and really loved Peru - following is a link to our South American blog pages for Machu Picchu and Lake Titicaca - happy to answer questions

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/l...aca/index.html

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:55 PM

I was in Peru just last February, Machu Picchu, Cusco and the Amazon basin. I truly loved it and do want to go back. I also have been to New Zealand (primarily the south island) and truly loved it and want to go back.

Between the two, given sufficient time and money, I would choose New Zealand.

When I went to New Zealand, I was worried that it would disappoint, because I had heard so many extremely positive opinions that I was sure it couldn't live up to them - but it did. The scenery on the south island is extraordinary, glaciers abutting rainforests, magnificent fjords, Mt Cook reflecting on a mirror lake, hiking on a glacier, kayaking near Paradise (the area where Lord of the Rings was filmed), driving over the alps -- it is an amazing country. However it takes so long to get there, that I would do the three week option and spend most of it (if not all) on the south island.

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

This is all such brilliant advice. Thanks so much. Keep it coming!