Peru Best Tours Trip Report - Great Tour at Reasonable Price

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I (early 60’s and active) just completed a 15 day tour of Peru in the beginning of May using Peru Best Tours (PBT). We developed our tour with Guillermo at PBT using our rough itinerary as a starting point and his suggestions to further refine the trip. The result was outstanding with all aspects of the trip working very smoothly. We arrived in Lima and spent one night at the Manhattan Hotel near the airport (clean, ok for one very short night). The next morning we flew to Arequipa and had a private tour of the city, staying at the Hotel Casa Arequipa (very nice but needed taxi to center of town). In the morning we were in a 10 person overnight pool tour of the Colca Canyon, staying at the Hotel Casa Andina (very nice). We returned to Arequipa for one night and then flew to Cusco and immediately started a private tour of the Sacred Valley area, touring the Pisco ruins and Market along the way. We stayed two nights in the Sacred Valley at Kuychi Rumi. The Kuychi Rumi is beautiful and Claudia, one of the owners, is a saint! On our free day in the Sacred Valley she arranged a driver to take us to Moray, the salt mines and Ollyantambo. (Great day. Don’t miss Alpacas Puskay near the salt mines and the Taller Workshop Gallery in Urubamba.) We then took the train to Aguas Caliente and stayed the night at the Macchu Piccu Inn (Clean room with separate bedroom. Great service and hospitality.) Took a private tour of MP the first day and then went back the second day on our own. Guillermo suggested two days at MP and we were very glad we took his advice. We then returned to Cusco and stayed at the Hotel Casa Andina (near the plaza and very nice) for three nights. We took a small pool tour of Cusco the second afternoon and had the next day free. Don’t miss the San Blas area and Greens Restaurant upstairs near the plaza. The next day we flew to Puerto Maldonado and stayed at the Posada Amazonas for three nights. We had a highly enjoyable stay at the Posada Amazonas. All meals provided except bar drinks cost additional. Our guide for the stay, Willian, was one of the most informative, caring persons we ever met. The meals were delicious. We were in a tour group of six people for our stay in the Amazon. (In the Amazon take cash- dollars or soles- no credit cards and no ATM’s even at Puerto Maldonado). Boots provided. Guillermo suggested three night in the Amazon and we agree. After three nights we flew to Lima for one night and stayed at the Casa Andina in Miraflores (room was ok, great service and well located). The next day we took an afternoon private tour of Lima that was very interesting. That night we flew home.

Our trip price included all Peru flights on Lan Peru, railroad Vistadome fees, transfer and entrance fees, hotels, tours and guides (except for the one “on our own” days), all breakfasts and all meals in Puerto Maldonado. Tips and airport taxes were extra.The total cost per person was $2,157. Our tour guides ranged from very good to excellent. The MP guide was informative but we felt hurried. All transfers went smoothly and we were provided with a cell phone to call Guillermo if there were any problems. He also checked in with us every other day and he took us out to an excellent lunch in Lima on our last day there. We highly recommend Peru Best Tours. We’re seasoned travelers and we felt our money was well spent. Guillermo responds quickly to email. Contact: [email protected]
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Glad to hear you had a great time.
I book with Guillermo as well and we are looking forward to our trip.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:22 PM
SSN

Sounds like a great tour and similar to what we have in mind. Which category of hotel did you stayed in? Tourist, 3 stars or more? Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi SSN

I'm hesitant to give a star rating to our hotels because most foreign hotels are on the smaller side. The Manhattan Hotel was a budget hotel we agreed on for a short night after our 12:00am arrival at the Lima airport. It was basic, but clean with a quite good breakfast. The Machu Piccu Inn was more comfy and tt had a separate living room and bedroom with great staff and an excellent breakfast. The hotels in Cusco and Arequipa were very nice. The Kuychi Rumi was a two story casita, with two bedrooms, deck, patio fireplace, kitchen and a great breakfast. We could have easily spent one more day there to relax. One of the owners, Claudia, wants people to know that it is not a hotel. You're living in someone's house. The casitas do not have TV's etc. But it is a fantastic place with very helpful staff. The Posadas Amazonas lodge is an ecolodge. There is no hot water or electricity, just candle light. But the accommodation was very comfortable given the location. The last night in Lima we stayed near Miraflores at the Casa Andina. The room was nice but nothing special. The location was great. I want to emphasize that you can participate in your hotel choice with PBT. All the places we stayed at can be researched on Fodors and Trip Advisor. All of the hotels were well located and the breakfasts were very good. I hope this info is helpful to you!
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:01 PM
SSN

Thanks so much, N2it. Your information is very helpful. It helps a lot to hear it first hand from someone who has stayed there. I'm going to print this and keep it for reference. We are planning for September '09, how was the weather in May? Thanks again!
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi Again SSN

We were in Peru the first two weeks of May. Most of the days were clear and warm in the mid 70's I'd guess. Machu Piccu was even warmer. The nights and early mornings were cool. It rained in Cusco one afternoon. The Amazon was overcast with rain one night. Lima was overcast the last day we were there but the temperature remained comfortable. We were told that Lima hasn't had measurable rain since '95. In general we had very comfortable weather for the trip, especially for hiking. When we got off the plane in San Francisco, after leaving Peru, it was close to 90. Shock!!!!
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bhammer,

Guillermo is great guy, honest and very conscientious. I think you will enjoy working with him. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM

N2it --
I have been talking with Guillermo at PBT and wanted to see if I could ask you a couple of questions.

He's recommending Kuychi Rumi and I see that you liked it. The reviews on tripadvisor are great but other people here have made comments that Urubamba is not as nice as Ollantaytambo and that staying in O. would be nicer to be able to walk around, etc. I think Kuychi Rumi looks pretty isolated so I'm wondering if that will be a good thing or bad thing.

Also, he says the train tickets to MP are not included so I'm wondering if we have to get our own in advance online and how that works. I think you said Vistadome tix were included on your trip - wonder why not with ours. Haven't heard back from him about the train tickets and how that works.

We won't have any domestic flights -just spending one week and doing Sacred Valley, MP, and Cuzco. So far our price quote is $1300 pp -- not including the train.
I know one of the expensive items is a night at the El Pueblo Hotel, run by Inkaterra. But even if that's a few hundred I can't figure out why our trip comes to $2600 for the two of us for one week. Our other hotels are a little over $100 -- nothing too high. Does that seem high to you for a week?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM

Leslie S. Inkaterra is about $450/night - from their website.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM

Thanks --
I'll have to break-down the costs of the hotels and see what the other expenses come out to -- tours and transfers from city to city, etc.

I guess that $450 is a big splurge -maybe worth it, maybe not.
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I would strongly recommend Ollanta over Urabamba. The former is a very cute town, the latter, although larger, is not quaint in the least. We loved Ollanta. Plus, the train station to MP is right there - just a short walk from pretty much anywhere you stay. If you're in Urabamba, you'll need to get a taxi. Not a big deal, but again, Ollanta is much nicer.
Karen
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:16 PM

Bookmarking thanks for the info
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 07:54 AM

I have been watching this posting with interest because we are taking a tour with Best Peru Tours and David Ochoa is our Travel agent helping us with this trip, bestperutours.com. There have been several different posting on other travel forums confusing the two very similar tour operator names. But thought I would post our itinerary and you can compare the cost and options between the two companies. We have our flight to/from Lima with frequent flyer miles so the flights in thei cost are all domestic within Peru.10 DAYS 9 NIGHTS TOUR TO THE AMAZON, CUZCO AND MACHUPICCHU
(US$1699 per person with one SC discount)
ITINERARY
Day 1 Lima
Reception at Lima airport. Transfer to Miraflores Colon Hotel in Miraflores Lima.

Day 2—From Iquitos to the Ceiba Tops
Transfer from your Lima Hotel to Lima International airport. Depart at 06:15am. After a 90-minute flight, reception at the airport, brief city orientation and transfer to the Explorama dock. Begin a twenty-five mile journey through the Amazon River towards the Ceiba Tops, where rooms with air conditioning and private bathrooms provide the comforts of home in the midst of the rainforest. Afternoon hike in the beautiful rainforest reserve surrounding the lodge, which includes many huge trees festooned with epiphytes. After dinner we’ll relax at the sounds of a “quena” (the andean flute) or a guitar at the El Toucan Bar where the guides are always ready to entertain us with narratives of some of the many legends of the Amazon forest.
Lunch, Dinner and Overnight Stay at the Ceiba Tops.

Day 3—Ceiba Tops
Morning boat ride spotting the Amazonian dolphins along the way to a small village where the Yagua Indians live and where your guide will explain the local Yagua Indian culture and how it was affected by the arrival of Europeans and how it evolved until modern times. There will also be an opportunity to see some of the local crafts as well as a demonstration of the usage of the blowgun which some of the Yagua elders still use for hunting. Afternoon walking excursion to the neighboring town of Indiana. Originally a Franciscan mission, Indiana has grown into a large river community with its own market, high school and small hospital.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Overnight Stay at the Ceiba Tops.

Day 4—Additional day at Ceiba Tops
Canopy walk excursion. Full day.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Overnight Stay at the Ceiba Tops.

Day 5—From Ceiba Tops to Iquitos to Cusco
Morning transfer to the city of Iquitos and to the airport in order to fly to Lima. Connect with flight to Cusco arriving in Cusco by 02:30pm approximately. Transfer from Cusco airport to Hotel of choice.

Day 6— From Cusco to the Sacred Valley
Pick up from Hotel, the tour includes a air-conditioned bus visit to the market of Pisac, a stop for lunch in Urubamba, a visit to the beautiful Inca village and fortress of Ollantaytambo and a quick stop at the Quechua village of Chinchero on the way back to Cusco. The entire circuit is over 170 kilometers in length. Special visit to the local artisan market and fair only on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Lunch included

Day 7—Cusco City Tour
City Tour of the ancient city of Cusco in a couch air-conditioned bus. Tour to Cusco City, Qoricancha Temple, Cusco Cathedral, Quenko, Puca Pucara, Tambomachay and Saccsayhuaman Inca ruins.

Day 8— From Cusco to Machupicchu
Pick up from Hotel. Transfer to train station. Vista Dome transfer to Machupicchu. Upon arrival, tour the Sanctuary. Transfer to Hatuchay Tower Hotel in Machupicchu Town. Overnight in Machupicchu.

Day 9— Second Day Visit to Machupicchu
Optional hike of the Waynapicchu Mountain (4 hours). Second day bus ride and entrance to the Sanctuary provide. Time to enjoy this wonderful place and its scenery and return to Cusco by 03:30 p.m. arriving at 06:30 p.m.

Day 10-- Cusco – Lima
Morning flight to Lima.

End of services

Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM

Nice!!! I see you had a great time and Peru Best Tours gave you the best. What methode of payment did you use. I may go with them so it will cost me roughly $4000 to $5000. Its a lot of money. Also they are not ATOL protected so how safe can it be?? with Peru Best Tour.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:39 PM

logla, these postings were made three years ago.