Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Peru - 3 week itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/peru-3-week-itinerary-574929/)

cailin Dec 7th, 2005 06:13 AM

Peru - 3 week itinerary

Hi,

I'm just getting started putting together a rough itinerary for a trip to Peru next summer (probably July or August). I would appreciate any tips or guidelines. My thoughts so far are:
Day 1 - arrive in Lima
Day 2 - fly to Nazca lines & back to Lima
Day 3 - Lima (museums, etc)
Day 4 - Fly to Arequipa
Day 5 - Arequipa
Day 6 & 7 - Colca Canyon
Day 8 & 9 - Puno, Lake Titicaca
Day 10 - boat to La Paz
Day 11 - La Paz
Day 12 - Cusco
Day 13 - Cusco
Day 14-17 - Inca Trail
Day 18 - recover!!
Day 19 - Day trip to Pisac & Sacred Valley
Day 20 - Fly to Lima and return home.

How does this sound? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

cailin Dec 7th, 2005 06:46 AM

sorry - thinking of a slight change now

Day 1 - arrive in Lima (hopefully with some time there that afternoon). We may spend another day in Lima at the end of the trip.
Day 2 - Lima to Pisco
Day 3 - Paracas / Islas Ballestas
Day 4 - Nazca with overnight bus to Arequipa

SharonNRayMc Dec 7th, 2005 10:30 AM

Hi Cailin,

I see some logistics problems. A boat does not go to La Paz. Travel time from Puno, which is on the Peruvian side of Lake Titikaka, to Cusco is a full day bus or train ride, so you would need to add travel time from La Paz to Puno. You are looking at probably a day and a half for travel time between La Paz and Cusco.

If you want any time in La Paz at all, you need to adjust the itinerary.

- Sharon

cailin Dec 8th, 2005 04:06 AM

OK, thanks Sharon. We might skip Bolivia this time.

hopefulist Dec 8th, 2005 06:26 AM

I don't know the travel distances in Peru but, in general, try not to move more than once every 3-4 days on my trips. If you only have 2 nights in a place, that's just one full day and you're transitioning every other day. I know that seeing lots of places is the most important thing for some people but, personally, I'd rather really get to explore an area and meet some locals before moving on. By the way, have you read Che Guevara's "Motorcycle Diaries"? He traveled through Peru with a buddy in the early 50's; there's a movie, now, too.

Happy trails!

kathleen Dec 8th, 2005 08:44 AM

Hi Cailin,
We were in Peru for two weeks this past May and covered some of what you have planned. We spent two days in the Puno- Lake Titicaca area and found it to be a fasinating place, especially our visit to the Uros islands. If you can, try to visit these islands.

The bus trip from Puno to Cusco took over eight hours, but it also was excellent since it stopped at several villages along the way. I would highly recommend taking this bus trip. I think the bus was a first class, tourist bus with guide.

Cusco also deserves a few days. So much to see. We enjoyed it much more than Lima, since it was easier to explore on foot. In Lima the Larco museum is definitely worth a visit

Hope you have a great trip to Peru. Machu Picchu is an extraordinary sight.
Kathy

cailin Dec 8th, 2005 09:29 AM

Thank you both.

hopefulist - I haven't read The Motorcycle Diaries but I've seen the movie and thought it was amazing.

hopefulist Dec 8th, 2005 12:11 PM

The book is even better. :o) My goal is to read it againn - next time in Spanish - when I visit Peru. (I have my work cut out for me.

hopefulist Dec 8th, 2005 12:16 PM

Excuse the clown - I typed in my usual emotican and the silly clown showed up. Sorry!