Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Personal Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/personal-travel-986811/)

Alice7Leines Jul 29th, 2013 08:26 AM

Personal Travel

We are a retired couple and are planning a trip to Central America. Basically we are planning on traveling to Belize, Panama, and Costa Rica. We would like to stay a week in each country. What is the most economical itinerary? Should we fly to Liberia, Costa Rica, then go to Panama and Belize and fly out of Belize back to the USA? What mode of transportation is best suggested to travel between these countires?

Katzgar Jul 29th, 2013 10:29 AM

chicken buses are most economical.

suze Jul 29th, 2013 11:02 AM

That is a LOT of territory to travel by bus. Are you sure you need/want to go to all 3 countries on the same trip? A 3 week trip to any 1 of the countries would make more sense to me.

volcanogirl Jul 30th, 2013 09:17 AM

For us, it's been cheaper to fly into San Jose vs. flying into Liberia, so compare prices on those. There's a popular shuttle in Costa Rica called Interbus if you want to check out their website.

hopefulist Jul 30th, 2013 10:12 PM

I agree that a week per country with travel between doesn't make sense - too much time sitting instead of enjoying. I'd pick 1 country or maybe 1 and a bit of another: Belize with Tikal in Guatemala, for example.

Alice7Leines Aug 4th, 2013 09:17 PM

Thanks for your responses. We are traveling for the purpose of checking out which country we would like to stay in for a month or more next time.

Are there airconditioned buses that travel between countries?

Katzgar Aug 5th, 2013 03:12 AM

do you want economical or air conditioned buses?

JeanH Aug 5th, 2013 04:02 AM

I think you could have a very nice trip to Costa Rica and Panama in three weeks. You'd still be moving a lot, but, it would be reasonable and fun.

Belize is a long ways away, relatively speaking. You'd certainly want to fly. We flew from Managua to Belize City last November. One way was around US$350.00 on Taca.

I'd get some guidebooks from your local library, decide where you want to visit in each country, then, look at a map and figure out how much time between destinations.

live42day Aug 8th, 2013 11:46 AM

I did a month in Belize and could have stayed longer. I did three weeks in Costa Rica which was just right for us. I would say that a week in each country is too much travel and not enough time to 'be there'. Two countries would be the max in my opinion.

incabod Aug 9th, 2013 10:38 AM

I agree, 2 countries would be better, too much travel otherwise.

Or if you are not too particular about "which" part of Panama you visit you can easily do Costa Rica and Bocas del Toro (Panama) and then head to Belize. That way you can fit in all 3 without as many hassles. Easy to get to Bocas from Costa Rica.

Alice7Leines Aug 16th, 2013 01:57 AM

Thanks for your replies. We decided to take your advice and just visit Panama and Costa Rica. We are staying a week in Panama. What is the "must see" list in Panama? Also, what transportaion recommendation do you have for traveling from Panama City to Bocas Del Toro and then to San Jose, Costa Rica?

Alice7Leines Aug 16th, 2013 02:06 PM

If we rent a car in Panama City, drive and stay in David then go to Bocas Del Toro, is there a way that we can leave our rental car in Almirante while we stay a couple of days in Bocas Del Toro?
Can we drive from Almirante and cross the border to San Jose Costa Rica?