Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Peace Lodge question (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/peace-lodge-question-683538/)

rickandpat Feb 27th, 2007 04:20 PM

Peace Lodge question

I tried e-mailing Peace Lodge, but never got an answer. So here goes: We are staying one night on our way back to the airport, and will only have time to walk the trails and see the frogs, etc. the day we check in. Can we arrive an hour or two before the 3:00 check-in time and explore the grounds without incurring an additional charge?

shillmac Feb 27th, 2007 04:29 PM

Interesting question; hope to see it answered by someone. We are going to bite the bullet and stay at Peace Lodge for a couple of nights in July. However, I really feel that it is one of those places (Tabacon is another) that seems to be price gouging the heck out of people--particularly with the price of meals (Peace Lodge) that have gotten consistently bad reviews. I realize that there isn't much justification for complaining about it while continuing to patronize these places (and Tabacon is one of my favorites!).

I would THINK you would have no extra charge to arrive a bit early, but again, am curious to hear it from the mouth of someone who has been there, done that.

hipvirgochick Feb 27th, 2007 05:24 PM

I'm going to give you the e-mail of the person I've been working with because we've e-mailed back and forth several times and she gets back to me within a day.

[email protected]

She can help with other transport too, like transfer from Peace Lodge to airport for $35.00.

Hope this helps!

2CR Feb 27th, 2007 07:08 PM

We got there around check-in time so I don't know the answer for sure, but I can't imagine that you would have a problem if you arrived an hour or two ahead of check-in time. The staff is pretty laid-back there. They'll give you a bracelet to wear during your stay to differentiate you from those just visiting the grounds. I'm sure if your room isn't ready they will still let you check in and explore the grounds while you wait for your room. I hope you enjoy your stay there. We absolutely loved it.

MarciaM Feb 28th, 2007 05:38 PM

Our daughter and her husband did that, and it was no problem. Your stay at Peace Lodge includes entrance into Waterfall Gardens, and it doesn't matter what time you enter. Just check into the lodge, leave your luggage until you can get into your room, and pick up your bracelet that gets you entrance into the park. Are you leaving early the next day? If not, explore the waterfall paths on your own before the park opens and the crowd come in. You will have it all to yourselves.

5swissmiss Mar 1st, 2007 04:27 AM

rickandpat
We stayed at the PL last year and arrived early. The staff will happily secure your belongings until your room is ready. By all means make the most of your stay, it really is beautiful!

shillmac: If you don't want to be gouged for the dinner (they make you a reservation at check in)you can check out a fabulous restaurant that is only 6km away from the PL and across from the gas station in Vera Blanca.(400 meters East of the crossroad) It is called Colbert's. We stopped there last year after reading some posts from Fodorites. It was the best meal we had in CR..french of course not regional. Joel Suire is from France and has been in CR for a few years. He makes fresh baked french bread daily and has beautiful cheese boards to snack on. The Coquilles St. Jacque is to die for. You won't be disappointed. BTW it was far better and cheaper than PL-we are making a detour there this year!

rickandpat Mar 1st, 2007 07:01 AM

Thanks for the reassurances. 5swissmiss, Colbert's sounds great, we'll take the info on it.
Right now we're having an ice storm in Michigan, I cannot WAIT to get to CR!

jpvanderhulst Mar 1st, 2007 03:32 PM

We are from Michigan too!! We just got back last week and stayed at Peace Lodge. You can also eat a light dinner until 7 p.m. at the Trout Bar.

hipvirgochick Mar 1st, 2007 08:12 PM

Good to know about the Trout Bar. This may be a stupid question, but are there kids meals at Peace Lodge or must I pay $28 for my 10 year old?

Also, I've heard no reviews about the new aviary. Is it open yet?

shillmac Mar 2nd, 2007 02:39 AM

Yes, thanks, we've driven by Colbert's many times but have never eaten there. It's been mentioned on Fodor's fairly often. Pretty sure we won't be paying $28 per person for dinner. Also down the road are a couple other great restaurants, Dona Julia and Chubasco's. We have tried both of those. Very reasonable, very good.

This trip, we'll make a point to have dinner at Colbert's one evening. The Trout Bar sounds like a possibility as well.

Thanks!

shillmac Mar 2nd, 2007 02:43 AM

LOL! Didn't mean to sound like such a cheapskate--it's just that Peace Lodge food has had so many negative reviews! Also, we'll be in CR 3 weeks in June and another 3 weeks in August--working on the budget right now and it's adding up fast! I'd rather spend less on meals and upgrade on the accomodations when we can. We've always been pretty impressed with a $4-5 casado! And my husband's favorite, arroz con pollo. . .

5swissmiss Mar 2nd, 2007 04:26 AM

hipvirgochick:
I'm looking at our bill for PL from April 06. We stayed one night in a standard room and had our 9yro.with us. Total bill w/dinner (breakfast incl in price)was US408.00.(Dinner was 91.00) I don't remember them having a kids menu but I think the price was discounted for a smaller portion.

BTW the second best meal we had in CR was a casado on the beach in MA, US4.00
I was a little skeptical about buying chicken/pork that was grilled on the beach in a little hut, with the few sides served but it was fantastic! All the high end places we ate at were astetically pleasing but the food fell way short..and the prices too high.

pcw Mar 2nd, 2007 06:01 AM

we will not have a vehicle while at Peace Lodge. Are the restaurants you mention within walking distance?

tully Mar 2nd, 2007 03:07 PM

Yes, I'm curious too. I doubt these other restaurants are walking distance, but what about taxi's. Is there enough taxi's around to be able to get out for dinner & back without long waits for the taxi?

hipvirgochick Mar 2nd, 2007 03:13 PM

Will Peace Lodge call a taxi for you? Sorry to sound naieve, PL just seems remote so I'm not sure about the taxi service there. We have 2 nights so would like to go for other dinner options.

5swissmiss Mar 3rd, 2007 08:11 AM

Colbert's is 3 miles down the road from PL, not sure about the restaurants that shillmac recommended. Walking would be a little scary (but then again so is driving). While the PL is remote, I'm sure that they could call for a cab,and then make arrangements for that same cab to pick you back up after dinner.
rickandpat...I'm from WI, and we are having the same weather..hang in there.
You will love CR, we were there last year and are going back this April, so our older daughter can experience it.