Peace Lodge Question

Jun 24th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Peace Lodge Question

I'm seeking help from the Peace Lodge experts - how do you get to the last Falls - the big one? The last time we went we somehow completely missed them, and I don't want to do the same thing again. Someone told me you have to exit to see it - is that correct? I have no idea how we missed them, and I think we just followed the path and somehow got to the end without ever seeing them.
Jun 24th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Not sure how to describe, they kind of flow into each other via the stairs. But.....maybe what the person meant is - to see the falls fully (as in cascading down, where it meets a pool of water), you have to exit the grounds and walk down tot the road where all the tour buses stop. There used to be 2 bridges there, 1 working and 1 that had fallen into the water, not sure if they've knocked it down since.
Jun 24th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tully - so to see it fully, when I exited would I just walk down that road where the bus picks you up? Would I go to the left? How much do you see if you don't exit? We just saw 4 falls, not even part of the 5th. I knew you guys would know!
Jun 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Are you leaving soon, volcanogirl? Where are you going on this CR trip? Have an excellent time! Don't forget to post your report when you get back!
Jun 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM

vg - yes you would have to curl around left and it'll probably be a good walk. Just me I'd pass on it, it's basically just where the water hits the pool after coming down 2 stops. It was okay but since you can't see the rest of the falls at the same time like the others it's kinda so-so.

To complicate things even more If you look here http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...xw&x=0&y=npgas at photo #92, that's the top of La Paz falls going over into a pool, which then cascades down once more into pics #3 & #4 http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-kfjh4w (views from the road looking up) The pics are 3 years apart but you get the idea
Jun 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM

vgirl, Tully is correct, and you really won't gain all the much by viewing it from across the highway. That said, first time I ever saw it was on the Highlights Tour and we stopped there to view that last falls. Didn't realize it at the time, and the tour guide didn't mention it, but if you walk on up the road from the bridge (away from Peace Lodge), up the hill, around the curve to higher ground, you can see the upper falls cascading down into the lower falls.

Even more interesting is the fact that from that vantage point (near the bridge)you can take a little trail and walk back underneath the falls. At least I did it back in 2003, and thought it was fun, a little precarious, but hey, Costa Rica is where I do my "edgy" stuff! LOL

Last summer, I noticed that the old bridge is still there--I think it always will be! I kind of like it there. . .
Jun 24th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys; I knew you would have all the "insider" information! janienicole, we leave at the beginning of July, so I'm getting excited. We're going to give Monteverde a whirl this trip - I know it gets kind of mixed reviews, so I'm curious to see what we think. Also revisiting Arenal just because we love it. Next year, I have my eye on Tortuguero. I will definitely post details when we get back.
Jun 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Tully,
Your pictures are beautiful. Now I can see what you guys all mean about Peace Lodge. So I'm not one bit nervous about my decission any more. Now I'm just looking forward to getting there and having a look around. Does anyone have any pictures to sahr from Arenal, Monteverde or Dominical. Those are our other destinations on the honeymoon portion of the trip.
Thanks again for all of your input.
Jun 25th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

b2b, have you checked out tripadvisor.com? That's always a great way to view pics. I always check it out before we book anywhere. Congrats on your upcoming marriage!
Jun 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I meant to mention that we stayed at the Lost Iguana in Arenal and loved it; you can see pics at tripadvisor. Our room had a great view of the volcano and a jacuzzi tub; we thought it was a romantic spot.
Jun 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Thanks Volcanogirl, I will have to check that out. I like to have pics to show my hubby to be so that he stays as excited as I am. He's not quite as travel happy. Any way have a great trip. Do let us know how everything goes. And I hope you find that 5th waterfall.
Jun 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

I knew my husband was the man for me when we were planning our first trip, and he came over with SEVEN guide books - lol.
Jun 25th, 2008, 08:03 PM

Hi vgirl! -- Leaving soon eh? Have a great trip! Looking forward to hearing how you like Monteverde and good luck on finding that waterfall. Hope you get to see a Quetzal too!
Jun 25th, 2008, 09:57 PM

Hello volcanogirl.

Kinda new here, but just noticed your interest in Costa Rica. Gonna suggest you Waterfall Gardens to visit Peace Lodge. They have very nice rates for the complete tour. All of the 5 waterfalls in there.

By the way, also noticed you are heading to Monteverde. Take a look at this website. It has only information about Costa Rica top destinations and Monteverde is there. There is also the Arenal Volcano that is a pretty cool one down here.

www.travelstocostarica.com

Hope you a great trip. And if you have any specific questions let know. Travels is my hobby. I would do my best to help you.
Jun 26th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, hip - you know exactly how I feel - anxiously awaiting getting on that plane and stepping off into the land of monkeys and Imperial! My husband really has his heart set on seeing a quetzal; he's a sports junkie, but CR has turned him into an animal lover too.
Jun 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Hey, vg, have a great time! Costa Rica has broadened ALL of our horizons--in the best way! Sorry we'll miss you--so close--same as last year! Maybe we'll get to meet next June at the GTG!

Take care. . .have fun!
J.
Jun 26th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

charlie, I will check it out; we've been to Arenal before and loved it.

Jill, it really is deja vous - we just missed you by a day last year I think. If September weren't such a rainy time, you, hip, and I could have a big birthday soiree together down there! It is kind of neat to see my husband take on a love of hiking and wildlife; we have season tickets to just about every sports team you can imagine, so it's fun to see another side.
Jun 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM

Hey--it's not THAT rainy! I'd meet you guys there--but let's try Puerto Viejo, less rain in September! Not this year, but sometime!
Jun 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM

bridetwobe - thanks, you'll have a wonderful time. And vg you too, hope you get the falls sorted out

Search this Thread