Reload this Page >

PDC snorkel excursion to cozumel or beyond, playa palms questions

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All

Will be staying in PDC. Definitely want to snorkel...is our best bet to head directly to cozumel and go to one of the places from beach or go on an excursion- and if excursion, who would you recommend? cost? Is there a day that has the least number (even better if none) of cruise ships in Cozumel?
Playa Palms- anyone stayed there that can answer:
- are there utensils, plates, cups/mugs, glasses provided?
- read by someone they couldnt use stovetop due to no pots/pans...anyone else have this same issue? do we just ask the front desk for pots/pans?
- are the beds here hard, like mattress on top of concrete slab?
- coffee maker- filters, cone or round?

I am already booked there, just trying ot figure out what I need to bring, and if needed, will go to walmart in PDC and get what I need.
thanks
travel pair
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:44 AM

You'll find other threads on snorkeling near pdc, including those upon which I've asked or commented. In short, we had better snorkeling during the Fat Cat tour (Puerto Adventurus (sp?), than on a flat bottom boat/snorkeling tour (Cozumel). This spring, I'm thinking about a day trip to Akumal and Yal-ku (sp?), and a snorkeling excursion with Sea Monkey or similar group (plus another catamaran).
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:07 AM
KVR

Try this link for snorkel tours in Cozumel. To me, it would be better to book a tour as the better sornekling is off shore and you need a boat to get to the reefs. You can go to Chanakaab Park and snorkel from shore there. There are also many beach clubs with shore snorkeling like Mr. Sanchos and San Francisco. Here's the link to the Cozumel cruise ship schedule. You don't want to be anywhere near town or the beach clubs when cruise ships are in.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Cruiseships?From=News

In the PDC area, take a boat tour out to the reef at Maroma Beach. Also, Akumal Bay and the Yal-Ku Lagoon. Go to www.Play.info and look at the tours offered there. Many centoes for snorkeling or www.hiddenworlds has cenote snorkeling also.

Sorry, don't know anthing about the hotel you chose. Might check Trip Advisor for reviews and pictures if it's listed.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
KVR

Oops sorry forgot to post the Cozumel link.

http://www.cozumel-tours.com/snorkeling.htm
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:51 AM

www.xelha.com excellent snorkeling...
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:09 AM

Bookmarking
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:49 AM

Can anyone tell me, is it best to take your own snorkeling gear or best to rent there ?

Many thanks
Cobus
Cape Town
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 08:07 AM

Personally, I like to take my own snorkle and mask. Renting fins is easy, cheap and they take up a lot of space in your suitcase. A snorkle and mask, if you buy should be fitted to you and certainly more hygene!

I'm going to disagree with vadis on the Xelha suggestion. Snorkeling may be ok there but ONLY if you like doing it in a swarm of other people. Much, much better places that aren't jammed full of people.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 01:16 PM
KVR

Bring your own. That way you can use it whenever you want to and not have to worry about returning it. Most hotels only allow rentals for an hour anyway. Also, many people don't take care of things that don't belong to them, so you are liable to get a mask that doesn't fit correctly. I agree with the hygiene thing.

We didn't care that much for Xel-Ha either. Probably because we went 2 weeks after Hurricane Dean hit that area. The snorkeling was not great. We didn't have any issues with crowds. Most of the people were at the dolphin swim thing and never did venture into the park, which is HUGE. We preferred Xcaret over Xel-Ha, but that's more of a sightseeing activty with some snorkeling thrown in. We really enjoyed the night show.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 05:55 AM

A little off topic I know but KVR's right about the night show at Xcaret. Well worth the price and time. A beautifully presented cultural exhibition of Mexican dance and music.