Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   PDC - Playa Maya or El Faro? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/pdc-playa-maya-or-el-faro-201467/)

cb Jan 25th, 2003 10:18 AM

PDC - Playa Maya or El Faro?

My family (18 & 16 yr old daughters) are planning a trip to PDC in June for one more family trip after my oldest graduates. She originally said Aruba, but after researching, PDC seemed a better choice. We don't want AI as we would rather sample different places. After looking at all the info I could find here (thanks to everyone!), I've "somewhat" narrowed it down to these two places. Would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who might have been there. Thanks!

Monica Jan 26th, 2003 08:17 AM

Both are excellent choices. The Playa Maya is brand new so naturally the rooms are a little nicer, but the ElFaro has beautiful grounds. Feel free to email and can answer any questions. I know both hotels well.

fran Jan 26th, 2003 11:05 AM

Between these two choices, which has a better beach, and did you rent a car during your visit, and is it fairly easy if you did, driving in this area?

Monica Jan 26th, 2003 06:07 PM

I would say currently the ElFaro has the better beach, however the beach changes almost weekly. We always rent a car. Playa itself can be a pain, many one way streets and the taxi drivers do not stop at the stop sign. Parking can also be a pain. But driving on the highways isn't that big of a deal. I think if you may attention and drive cautiously, you should do okay.

gptravel Feb 1st, 2003 06:16 AM

Highly recommend El Faro. Have been there twice, and we are planning a third trip this spring. We even went back and "visited" our waiter when we were in Cozumel last year. The staff is very friendly, and the location and beach can't be beat.

Jamie Feb 4th, 2003 12:58 PM

Have any idea of a website that shows location of these 2 hotels? El Faro's website location is very general. Must be something better.

cb Feb 4th, 2003 02:07 PM

You can check tripadvisor.com, they have a lot of information. They do not, however, have Playa Maya listed. Maybe it's too new.

Ally Feb 5th, 2003 05:15 AM

El Faro and Playa Maya are VERY close to each other. You can see El Faro from Playa Maya and vise-versa. It's only a couple minutes walk between the two hotels. That being the case, I was a little confused by the poster that states El Faro has the better beach....although it did look like there was a bit more sand between the hotel and the water at El Faro. El Faro has better grounds and much better pool...Playa Maya really does not have any 'grounds' to speak of at all, but I loved my stay there.

mayte Feb 5th, 2003 01:27 PM

One nice thing about the Playa Maya is that except for the economy rooms, all the rooms have a great view of the ocean.

cb Feb 6th, 2003 11:53 AM

So, I had it "somewhat" narrowed down. however, I've been looking at the Xaman-Ha Condos, and they look pretty nice (also like the whole kitchen idea thing). Anyone been there, or have any thoughts about it? There are not a lot of comments about it here, or at trip advisor, but what I have read has been positive. Thanks!

mayte Feb 6th, 2003 05:05 PM

I have not stayed there, have heard its very nice. The only negative is that its not as centrally located as the Playa Maya or ElFaro

cb Feb 7th, 2003 06:40 AM

Do you know if it's walking distance to the more centrally located area, or is it more like a cab ride? Thanks!!

mayte Feb 7th, 2003 07:25 AM

ok, please someone correct me if I a wrong, but I believe its not a bad walk, but not sure you would want to walk it all the time and then a taxi is recommended or renting a car. But beaware that the parking is not very good in Playa.

theres126 Feb 21st, 2003 06:46 AM

Hi-<BR><BR>Is either one of these two hotels better for kids? (ages 9 and 13) Or, any other hotel recommendations? We've never been to PDC, and want the best for the kids (within reason, of course) :-) Do either one of these hotels do the &quot;package deals&quot;? And - are they all-inclusive, or not? We like eating on the town, but the idea of water sports being included is a plus!<BR>Thanks

mayte Feb 21st, 2003 07:38 AM

neither have an all package, however the ElFaro has a full breakfast in cluded in their room price and the Playa Maya a contentinal breakfast. How about looking into the Porto Real, they do offer al and I am sure activites. If you are the person that sent me an email, I am sorry for not replying, having trouble sending mail. Playa does offer a wide variety of watersports that can be booked right on the beach. Parasaling, windsurfing, cataramans, kayaks , snorkeling etc. I really think any of these three hotels are good choices.