Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Paying for taxi from the International airport in San Jose, Costa Rica

Old Jan 10th, 2004, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

We are leaving for Costa Rica in a few days! Our flight arrives in SJO at 9:30 pm and the hotel shuttle (Courtyard) doesn't run after 10 pm. Because we need to take a taxi to our hotel how much would be a fare? Any idea? Is it possible to pay in US currency or do we need to have local currency before we get to a taxi? Are there working ATMs in the airport?
I would appreciate any other tips on taking taxi from the airport.

Anyone knows e-mail address for Courtyard in San Jose/Escazu? We are trying to find out whether we could store a samll bag there as we will be returning to Courtyard, after two weeks, for one night before flying back home early in the morning.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Lucky you! Haven't seen you on here for awhile. Where did you finally decide to go? There will be plenty of cabs outside the door. They have changed things and I think there is a booth that you can go to to pay first for a trip into San Jose. It should only be about $12-14. Always make sure there is a maria in the cab and agree on amount before getting in when taking a cab in other areas. You should be fine with US dollars. Have some small ones available.
Regarding the storage. Many hotels have some arrangement. The larger ones like the Marriott have whole rooms designated for storage. Haven't stayed there but assume that they would have a room. To double check:
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Prospero Fernandez Hwy
Plaza Itscazu
San Jose, Costa Rica 502-4005
866-244-9330
Bien Viaje
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Suzie. We have everything set. This is our second trip to Costa Rica and we are so excited about revisiting Savegre Lodge and staying on Osa Penninsula for a whole week. If you or anyone else is interested I will be glad to report in the end of January.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to answer your question. We are going to stay in two places on Osa. One is El Remanso in the brand new La Vainila Cabin and with Abraham and Liz at the Bosque del Rio Tigre.
Thanks for asking
P.S. And where are you going to stay in February? I am already looking for some new ideas for our third trip
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Would love to hear from you when you get back. When at the end of the month do you return? I will be heading down there on the 31st.
The male quetzals should be in full feather for breeding season and the boys will be struttin their stuff. Enjoy the show! I never in my life would have believed we could see them so well as you can there.
I took a taxi from Travel air terminal to Juan Santamaria last Feb. and I think I remember it costing $14.
Pura Vida
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

We are coming back on 29th and I pledge to post at least a short report the next day. Are you going to be able to check in here only one day before your trip?

This is a reason why we are going back to Savegre. What a treat to see so many Resplendent Quetzals in one place.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:43 AM

SSSSSHHHH. It has been a wonderful secret!
I am sure I will be checking in before I leave.
Have a great trip.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

OK, you are right. Besides, I got e-mail from Walter infroming us that quetzals moved to another area. Thanks
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Walter is one crazy guy. He sure is full of enthusiasm. We used Melvin most of the time. Thought about staying at Walter's new place next time we went to San Gerardo. Did the quetzals move from that whole area??? We saw them at a private finca just up the road from Savegre. Those people put a lot of time, energy, and money into creating a good habitat it would be a shame if the birds are now gone.
Old Jan 10th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Suzie, where is Melvin located? How to find him? Is he familiar with other brids too? Tell me more about him, please. They are just down the road. If we have time we were planning on taking a walk to Walter's place and check it out for our next visit.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Melvin's last name is Chacon
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 08:13 PM

The Chacon family owns Savegre and he and his wife and kids have their own home right there by the lodge. He is one of many Chacons there. He might remember us. We bought his Swarovski binoculars. His wife was pregnant and they needed money to help get a larger car. He was very good with birding.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Great minds think alike!!!!
I have been debating between going to Samara or back down to the Osa to Bosque del Rio Tigre. When I saw that they had a cabin I thought I would really enjoy staying there.
Walked over to meet Belen (El Remanso) last year when we were at Bosque del Cabo right next door. She was very nice. Curious about the food. She was the cook on a Greenpeace ship where she met her husband Joel who was the captain.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:59 PM

They were not very far along with the new cabin when I was there last year but it looked like it was going to be beautiful. It was actually built by and for a famous bird person (can't remember who) but he lets them rent it out when he is not there.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

I am posting this message twice to make sure you will read it before you leave for your trip.

Suzie, we just came back home from another great trip to Costa Rica. I know you are leaving in a couple days and I will be too busy for the next 2-3 days to post any report here. I want you to know that we loved Bosque del Rio Tigre. The place is spotless. Food was exceptional, Abraham and Liz are fantastic guides. We stayed in the cabin. Birds were plentiful. The road to get there was something else but that wouldn't be any surprise to you as you know better than me what to expect on Osa regarding roads. We did not enjoy El Remanso as much and food there was dissapointing. We stayed in their new big cabin. We liked Joel a lot.
Did you check Walter's website?. Certainly Savegre and San Gerardo de Dota area did not dissapoint us. What a place! Suzie, if you want to contact me before you leave feel free to send e-mail. Here is my address
[email protected]

Already planning our next trip and would like to find out about Samara. When you get a free moment please let me know. The next time we would concentrate on the areas North of San Jose but would also return to Savegre. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 06:30 AM

Thank you so much for your trip report. I did decide to head down to the Osa rather than Samara (the Osa is where my heart really is). I will be in the cabin at Bosque del Rio Tigre myself for 2 out of my 3 nights there. I mentioned to Liz that I wasn't crazy about sharing bathrooms and she assured me the place is clean and you confirmed that so my one night in the "tree" house won't make me uncomfortable.
Glad to hear your trip worked out well but sorry El Remanso was a disapointment. Glad to hear that Savegre is still okay. I assume you saw the "birds". Did you use Melivin?
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Suzie,
Not only birds were there but so many of them. One afternoon we were only three people (Walter, my husband and myself) and what a show we had. There were five then seven flying in and out the avocado tree, then they were gone, then they return and on and on so we stayed for three hours watching them. At the same tree at the same time we also had two Emerald Toucanets. We returned one more time with Marino Chacon and again we were treated to a special but such different show. This lodge got even better than it was two years ago. We love it and now we have to places in Costa Rica we would return to.
Melvin was somewhere taking bird guiding classes to keep up with changes so we never got to meet him.

El Remanso wasn't bad it is just we expected more and they have the hardest mattress you can imagine. We like firm mattress but this one was extremely hard, just like sleeping on a floor and cleanlinees is not the most important thing in the kitchen which was the biggest turn off for me. Too bad. But over all we had a great time in Costa Rica and we are thinking already what places we want to visit.
The cabin at the Bosque del Rio Tigre has a private bathroom with a cold shower. It is a very small, completely open structure and there is not much place where you can unpack but a little table served us well. We loved a place, Liz & Abraham and staff which is very creative and they all do a great job. I hope your experience there will be similar to ours. Please let me know. You could take a great hot shower next to the lodge. This one is located in the separate little building next to the main lodge. It is used by those staying in the rooms upstairs. We spent four nights in the cabin and we were only two guests so didn't have to worry about sharing showers. Place is simple but immaculate. And so many different birds.

Two years ago we stayed in Lapa Rios and we liked Bosque del Rio Tigre much better although is so simple is so inexpensive comparing to LR.

At Bosque del Rio Tigre banana pancakes for breakfast were fantastic. Shrimp dinner and lots of delicious fresh salads and fruit were just two among many other things we will remember.