Patzcuaro, Mexico - Day of the Dead

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three friends and I are going to Patzcuaro for a week (Oct. 28 to Nov. 4) and will be there for the Day of the Dead ceremonies, which we've heard are wonderful. Any thoughts about what we should see the in the area? Restaurant recommendations? We are staying in a rented house just outside of town.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM

Hope you have confirmed accommodations as no walk up possible at that time.
I frankly find the best food in town is the Taco Carts around the small plaza although the Coffee shop on the large Plaza has surprisingly good NY cheese cake. Some like the Cha Cha Cha But unfortunately my experience there was very bad. Several of the Plaza side cafés feature The White Fish raised locally & it is delicious. I especially like it shrimp stuffed steamed in a paper bag. Fantastic!
The Local Mercado is one of the best in Mexico with prices about 30 % then say Zihuatanejo. Linens, Masks, sculpture, furniture, & art are all excellent.
Of Course The biggest sights are out on The Island cemeteries. A day trip with a guide around the lake to the various villages each with a different craft specialty.
Old Oct 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. We have confirmed lodging. We're always interested in others' impressions of the area since it's not a major tourist destination.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:49 AM

I live here in Patzcuaro and I know you are going to have a great time.
One restaurant not to miss is Mistongos, on Calle Dr Coss, near plaza grande.
The enchiladas placeras from Don Emilio on plaza grande near the mercado is super, they open in the evenings only.
Carnitaz Plaza has the best carnitas in town, and they are on road between plaza grande and plaza chica.

If you are looking for a day of the dead tour, the library on plaza chica sponsers one that raises money for books and items in the library for the kids, you get a great tour, and the library ends up with more resourses. Everyone Wins.

You will LOVE the aritsans market that gets setup for day of the dead in Plaza Grande. I have some pictures on my blog if you want a sneak preview!
http://lifeinthecorazon.blogspot.com...ad-market.html

Have a great trip!

Todd
http://lifeinthecorazon.blogspot.com/
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Todd. This is good information and your pictures are great. We leave tomorrow morning and are very excited!