Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

passport and any other tips for a 1st timer international traveler???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My husband and I are leaving for Costa Rica in a little more than a week. Neither of us really have much experience travelling out of the country. Any tips on what to do with your passport etc? Do you make a copy and keep it in the room and carry your original with you at all times?
thanks
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 08:29 AM

I usually keep it locked up in the room safe (which are now in most hotels). I rarely carry it around. You can make copies to carry around.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Also make a copy to leave at home where someone can find it and fax the copy to you if necessary.

I've never carried my original with me. Too many stories, like the girl who got pushed off the dock by her friends at a bar in Belize and her passport was in her pocket. She didn't find it. She also didn't realize that she really had to get her butt to the US embassy to do something about this. I got the impression she thought the airlines would handle it.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM

I scan a copy of my passport and email it to myself so I could access it on the road.

My best tip is to pack REALLY LIGHT - a loosely filled carry-on bag each, or less. Let me know if you're interested in pack light websites or my CA packing list.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For beach vacations I don't think it is practical to carry your passport (which I would do in Europe). Take a copy of it with you, and lock the originals in the safe at the hotel front desk or if there is a safe in your own room. Just don't forget them when you pack to leave!!!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Besides the above advice on passports, make copies of your credit cards, drivers license etc and keep them in a different location, but one which is fairly safe. Much easier to replace if they're stolen etc. Also, only take the bare essential credit cards you're going to use - leave everything else at home. Not only does it make wallet less bulky (and more difficult to get stolen) but you only have to deal with a couple or three cards if you have to replace them rather than several.

We're headed to CR for the first time next month so post a trip report when you get back!
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Call your bank (if you're bringing your debit card) and the credit card banks company (cards that you're bringing) to advise them when & where you'll be traveling. Especially since you've never been out of the country, they may put a block on the use of the card if not aware of the trip.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 12:48 PM

It is also suggested that along with the copy of the passport pages, you keep two extra photos, in case you loose passport and need to have one made.

As far as credit cards, DH and I carry different credit cards, in case his are stolen or lost or vice versa. Also each carries the photocopy of the others card ... so we have info to report if lost or stolen.

-GJ
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Remember that the copy of your passport has to be of the page with your photo and ID information and of the page that contains your entry stamp to Costa Rica. That second one you can't make until after you arrive.

The Tico Times did a story last year that said the U.S. embassy/consulate in San Jose processes more replacement passports due to theft than any other U.S. embassy in the world. I take it it's a big problem.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Also, a lot of the credit card companies tack on a surcharge for using your credit card outside the U.S. - might want to check with your own credit card companies to see what percentage extra they'll charge you. They call it a conversion fee.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.