Reload this Page >

Parasailing and surfing in Cancun

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Mark

My adventerous 16 year old daughter wants to try both of these. Any opinions on if parasailing is a wise choice for someone her age? And is there ANYWHERE near Cancun where a beginner might get a worthwhile surfing lesson?

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Nancy

Hi Mark,<BR>I'm usually an intrepid and adventurous traveler, but I would not recommend parasailing anywhere outside the US. <BR>There are very different liability regulations on accidents in Mexico from the U.S. Also, there are very different safety regulations (or lack thereof).<BR>We regularly dive and go horseback riding with the understanding that the extra insurance we have purchased through our dive affiliation will pay for air-lifts out in case of emergency.<BR>Although I'm sure it would be a lot of fun, I would not try it.<BR>As far as surfing goes, most of the Cancun coast has pretty calm water, but the part that doesn't has some very dangerous currents. I'd check with the hotel or you can check with Aqua World, a large water-sports oriented outfit in Cancun. <BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Cozannie

I don't see any reason why your daughter should not go parasailing. A friend of mine has a parasailing business here in Cozumel and it is extremely safe. Parasailing nowadays is very different than when I used to do it back in the 70's, when you had to run along the beach and then get lifted into the air, and had to land on the beach. Now, you sit on the boat and are hoisted into the air by a winch, you never get wet, don't have to do anything except hang there and enjoy the view. Then they winch you back into the boat. The only problem with parasailing is it goes by so fast. It usually costs about $50 and you only get about 10 minutes in the air.<BR><BR>I don't know about surfing in Cancun, I have not heard of anybody doing that over there, not enough waves. They do a lot of surfing here in Cozumel on the east side of the island, but the currents over there can be extremely dangerous. Maybe she would like to try wind-surfing. That's fun and available at most hotels and they will give her lessons.<BR><BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:35 AM
x

i'd tell her to forget the surfing - pretty calm waters. i wouldn't parasail - have heard some horror stories of parasailing in mex. if you do you it, ask at your hotel for recommendations and then get a few more opinions on the place they recommend.

Old May 29th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Kelly

Hello, I also would not recommend she do the parasailing. My best friends teenage daughter tried it two years ago in Mexico and spent the rest of her vacation in pain because she got jerked very hard and pulled tendons in her neck. When she got back and went to the doctor they said she had whiplash.<BR>The people who ran the boat were very unapologetic and told her to "take some aspirin." She said she felt the tendons make a "cracking" noise and yelled for them to stop but they didn't.<BR>No thanks!

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Practical Pat

You know, you really ought to consider staying in the house. There's injury and tragedy out there!!!!!

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Mark

I think I get what your saying, Practical Pat. There is risk in everything we do. I'm just trying to get a little educated on the subject. Of course, if it was entirely safe, she probably wouldn't want to try parasailing in the first place. I'll let her read these posts, and then leave it up to her. Thanks everyone for the input.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Flew High

Mark, I parasailed in Cancun a few years ago and it was one of the highlights of my trips to Mexico. I too was told NO don't do it! But I watched a parasailing outfit for a couple of days and saw how easily the people went up and came down and ALL of them loved it! I would recommend that if you or your daughter do it, go up on the north end of the hotel zone (top of the "7"), where it's calmer bay water and the boats are not running along with sometimes pretty big waves. Also choose an outfit where you go out in the boat, they fit you with the harness on the boat, raise the parashute to fill with air, then hook you to the shute and showly let you up on a cable and winch. This seems much easier and safer than being pulled up from the beach, which would look like it jerks you too much. I am a large person; they strapped me in, hooked me up and let me out like a kite until I was so high, all I could hear was the wind whipping past my ears. I took my camera up with me and took air shots of Cancun and the beautiful multi-colored water. In about 10 or 15 minutes, they slowly drew me back onto the flat platform at the back of the boat, as I landed, two guys were there to catch me, and unhooked the shute immediately. I never got wet and it was fabulous.<BR><BR>I'm not saying there is not a risk. There have been many horror stories. I would just recommend watching the parasailing crew for a while and see if you feel safe about it. I did, and I'm so glad I did it!!

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:28 PM
dougout

Excellent advice by previous poster on where to parasail. The dock behind Camino Real toward Fiesta Americana Coral Beach is a good calm place to start. Plus the view of Punta Cancun is superb. Having been there six times I,ve never seen a surfer. The surf, current and rocks would make it hard for a brginner in my view. HAVE FUN.

Old May 30th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Practical Pat

That's what I'm saying, Mark.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:13 AM
Ana

Excellent advice, Flew High. It is true, there are a lot of horror stories. I myself saw a parasailer crash and burn (broke a leg), but it was crazy. He was parasailing in a Red Flag ocean. The waves are terrible in the Nizuc area. <BR>Try calmer waters, like at the Royal Vacation Club. I've seen many people there, and they all seem to enjoy it.<BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Water

I would recomend parasailing but only launched from a boat not the beach.<BR>Last year in PV I went parasailing, and had a problem. There was not enough wind to get me in the air. I am 6'1" and 190 lbs so its not like I am huge. The boat took off but I did not. After my ass skimmed the water for a few feet I went under.<BR>This would not have been too bad if the captain of the boat would have noticed that I was not in the air. Well after pulling me underwater for about 200 ft he finally noticed that I was under water not in the air. I thought I was a gonner for sure. I unhooked myself and swam back to shore. <BR>We were leaving for home in a couple of hours so I was dressed for the airport. I was dripping wet and pretty upset. As soon as I swam back to shore, I asked him if he wanted to try it again. He looked at me funny and aked if I am sure. Yup, lets do it. <BR>The second time I took off I almost went under again. My butt skimmed the water but then the captain must have floored it and I was off in the air. It was a very nice ride. But the landing was rough. I almost landed on the roof of a hotel. Well I do not regret it and it was fun. Just make sure you do not try it in PV on the beach of the dead(playa los muertos). Cause they dont call it that for nothing!(0:

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Nancy

Water Boy,<BR>I can't stop laughing! I wish I had been there with a video camera - we could be splitting the $10,000 grand prize right now!<BR>I'm not sure if your story made me LESS or MORE likely to try it!<BR>I especially like the "almost hit the hotel roof" part. Sheesh!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 08:31 AM
waterboy

Funny you mentioned that. The plan was to video tape the event. But after a week in PV and this being the last day we ran out of tape. I have heard that many times and we also talked about the 10k after it happened. Whats also funny is that I had just gotten engaged about 4 hrs earlier. I told this to the person that sold me the parasailing. My exact words were" Hey man, I just got engaged dont kill me" I also haggeled with him about the price. I guess I should have paid the extra 5 bucks. MAybe they tried to teach me a lesson.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:12 AM
duh

duh