COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Palace Resorts Included Tours

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Kristy

Palace Resorts Included Tours

Can anyone tell of their experiences with the included tours at the Palace Resorts? Their website shows Tulum, Isla Mujeres, Coba, Chichen Itza, and Ek Ballam/Valladolid. Other travel sites show different info. I've read some trip reports that indicate there only 2 tours to pick from and not the good ones.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Joanna

Hi,

I went on the Chitzen Itza tour and enjoyed it. They get you out there fast, and you have the whole day to explore the ruins, on your own or with a guide, and you get a meal ticket for lunch at the nearby hotel Maya Land- And the food was pretty good. This tour was good.

I also went on the Isla Mujeras tour. I have mixed feelings about this one. We had to wait at the dock for an hour, the boat ride was nice, and the guides fun and friendly. Then they take you to a small part of the island for lunch, and the snoreklers ($13 extra) go out to the reef, which was nice! But you had to wait in lines up the ying yang, I needed flippers, and then the boat was PACKED, and by the time they brough you back to the island, you had to rush to eat the lunch, and they headed everyone out to another part of the island for shopping. You get a dixie cup slurpie margarita here, and then on your own for a couple of hours. You can shop, which the prices here are outrageuos, I live near the Mexican Border, so I know prices. You can also hire a boat to take you out snorkeling approx. $8 pp. Or rent a golf cart, I think it's around $30. It's ok, just crowed, and lots of lines. I would have rather done it on my own.

By they way, when you get off the dock upon arriving the first part, they have a very sad nurse shark in shallow water being handled (or should I say torn out of the water) by inexperinced handlers and tourist for a picture. It's awful, don't do it, you can see that the shark it obvioulsy not liking this, and it seems depressed. They should set it free.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 09:41 AM
xxx

We did 2 tours from the Cancun palace about 1-1/2 yrs. ago.Chichen-Itza was a good tour.On the way the bus stops at a crafts market,and on the way home it stopped at a mexican restaurant where some native folks put on a dance show while we ate(food included).Chichen -Itza itself was a great tour if you enjoy history.Our 3 teenagers enjoyed it also. For our 2nd tour we chose Xpu_ha which is an ecological park with good snorkling and nice beach. Also includes free catamaran ride and water sports. Also free scuba diving lesson. I don't know if they still offer this tour, but its a good one.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Joanna

They turned Xpu-Ha into a Palace Resort. You may go there on your own and pay nothing, but your taxi. Don't fall for the "Try this as a tour" or "The resort is not finished therefore it is not very nice" from the managment at the hotel you are staying. We went to it from the Aventura, it was nice, like a mini Xel-Ha.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Joanna

Another thing, I have heard good things about the Tulum Ruins/Akumal snorkel tour. Akumal is a great town, if you are adventurous, you should take a day trip there, snorkeling at Yalku is great. Tulum are small ruins located on an amazing beach, if you are into the ruins, this would be a good option. Although, IMO they are not as impresive as Chitzen Itza. Bring bug spray to Chitzen Itza if you go, also stock up on bottled water (provided by the hotel) before you go.

Also, Xpu-Ha is a day trip in iteself, and you can use your all inclusive for everything.

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Kristy

Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in Xpu-Ha Palace. I know there are exchange privileges with some of the other Palace resorts; are there transfers provided?

Some of the travel sites show Xpu-Ha as one your possible included tours. Seems a little sneaky when you can go use their facilities with your exchange privileges, in addition to the included tours.

I'm hoping to stay 5 nights and get 2 tours. Looking at Tulum and either Isla Mujeres or Cozumel, if it is an option. (Again, some--but not all--sites show Cozumel as an option.)

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Joanna

Hello Again,

I do not think that Cozumel is one of the tours included, but they do offer tours there for asn additional price. They have the Fury Catamaren trip, that would be fun.

I do beleive that there are free shuttles to each of the resorts. Depends on where you are staying, I was at the Aventura Palace, ad we just took a cab to Xpu-Ha. We didn't even tell the hotel we were going there. We had asked earlier in the week, and they told us not to go. We had met anothe couple at Xpu-Ha which used one of their free tour to go there. We had lunch, drinks, and borrowed snorekling gear with no problems. As for the transfers to other resorts, I know some leave going north in the morning, but do not know what times the ones go south. When you arrive at the hotel, make your tours asap, and also a reservation for the transfer bus, seats fill up fast.

Have a good time.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 05:24 AM
Donna

The palaces are great. but the time share sellers just rune your vacation.You should not have to be harrast every time you go out. they say just say no, but you are stopped every few blocks. please do not stop and spend your vacation time on a over priced why to vacation.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 06:41 PM
steve

there are limited free shuttle service between the Palace resorts. ditto on staying away from joining the 'palace family' scams. ditto on isla mujeres tour - turned into a juvenile party boat missing the best parts of the island. Heard the chichinitza tour was good.